• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukToZetterberg

An honest question about Nyquist

Rate this topic

I'm ready to expose someone like Miller or Eaves to waivers to get Nyqvist up here. We need secondary scoring, that's 100% what he does. Even if they're picked up, just consider it a trade, similar to how players returning from injury are deadline acquisitions.

Doesn't clear enough. Tootoo and Eaves will already be gone when people get back. Besides they won't waive someone they just re-signed.

Guest mjtm77

Waiving Tootoo AND Eaves is enough to bring Nyquist up. 23 man roster and cap compliant.

can anybody second this cause I am not so sure...

can anybody second this cause I am not so sure...

Not sure about which part?

Forwards:Z,D,Alf, Fran, Weiss, Sam, Clear, Helm, Bert, Mill, And, Abd, Nyq, Tat

Defence: Kron, Eric, Deke, Kindl, Smith, Quin, Lash

Goalie: How, Gus

That's 23 and through the relief from sending Tootoo(925k) and Eaves(925k) to minors (worst case) and relief from LTIR we are easily under the cap.

Nyquist, 24, might be recalled at some point this season. But he can’t come up as a temporary replacement for an injured player; the move must be permanent. That’s because Nyquist will be out of AHL options once he plays two more NHL games and would need to clear waivers to be sent back down.

As it is, the Red Wings will need to make a couple of moves to accommodate the return of defenseman Jonathan Ericsson, who is expected to come off long-term injured reserve and play Friday against the Washington Capitals at Joe Louis Arena.

The roster/cap crunch has really reached absurd proportions.

Holland has really handcuffed this team.

You gotta think its stressing out Babcock big time Mrs Babcock must be sick of hearing Hollands name being cursed at the dinner table.

On the other hand, I'll bet Holland has an awesome car collection.

I blame Babcock almost just as much. By the sound of things it was Babcock's doing to bring Cleary back. If it wasn't for that we wouldn't be here today. Even with the Sammy signing.

Holland said the solution must come from within.

“That’s it, that’s the team,’’ Holland said. “We’re not the first team in the league to have struggles. There is no hockey store. It’s got to be done internally.’’

Facepalm.... there are such things as OTHER TEAMS that you can trade with... Essentially Holland is saying the team we have is the team we are stuck with and that the players just aren't playing well but he constructed a great team that should win if the players did what he payed them to do.

Holland said the solution must come from within.

“That’s it, that’s the team,’’ Holland said. “We’re not the first team in the league to have struggles. There is no hockey store. It’s got to be done internally.’’

Facepalm.... there are such things as OTHER TEAMS that you can trade with... Essentially Holland is saying the team we have is the team we are stuck with and that the players just aren't playing well but he constructed a great team that should win if the players did what he payed them to do.

I'd like to see the entire team healthy simply so it forces Holland to make a move for cap reasons. Would be interesting to see what he does when his hand is forced.

That said, Holland's quote shouldn't come as a huge surprise to anyone. He's made it clear numerous times that in the salary cap era he believes that hanging on to picks and young talent is paramount...especially if you want to be competitive year in and year out.

I'd like to see the entire team healthy simply so it forces Holland to make a move for cap reasons. Would be interesting to see what he does when his hand is forced.

That said, Holland's quote shouldn't come as a huge surprise to anyone. He's made it clear numerous times that in the salary cap era he believes that hanging on to picks and young talent is paramount...especially if you want to be competitive year in and year out.

Holland will just scratch Eaves - which begs the question why he just didn't do it right away and make room rather than sitting the guy night in and night out.

I support that mindset. It makes for boring trade deadlines, but its not economical. Free agency and drafts provide players for free, without the added downside of helping out an opponent. Besides, this team really has everything necessary to be successful. The Wings took the Stanley Cup winning team to overtime of game 7 last year with less talent than they have now. Its just a matter of getting everyone on the same page and getting all the wheels turning at once.

I support that mindset. It makes for boring trade deadlines, but its not economical. Free agency and drafts provide players for free, without the added downside of helping out an opponent. Besides, this team really has everything necessary to be successful. The Wings took the Stanley Cup winning team to overtime of game 7 last year with less talent than they have now. Its just a matter of getting everyone on the same page and getting all the wheels turning at once.

Agreed, you can't have it all. A team can make a bunch of big trades and make a run for a few seasons, but deplete prospect depth in the process, which will eventually lead to a painful rebuilding period. I kind of like seeing the Wings make the playoffs year in and year out. And even if they miss this season, which I don't expect, it wouldn't be a long absence given the up and coming prospects they have.

Agreed, you can't have it all. A team can make a bunch of big trades and make a run for a few seasons, but deplete prospect depth in the process, which will eventually lead to a painful rebuilding period. I kind of like seeing the Wings make the playoffs year in and year out. And even if they miss this season, which I don't expect, it wouldn't be a long absence given the up and coming prospects they have.

And of course as we all know, playoff games are where the real revenue comes from, so it is a good business plan also.

I just don't see it. Who is the next Stevie Y for the Red Wings? The next Fedorov, Lidstrom, Dats, or Z? Where are these kinds of players in the Wings organization? Looks to me like the farm system has a number of potential second line starters (Nyquist, Tatar) but no real franchise type players.

I just don't see it. Who is the next Stevie Y for the Red Wings? The next Fedorov, Lidstrom, Dats, or Z? Where are these kinds of players in the Wings organization? Looks to me like the farm system has a number of potential second line starters (Nyquist, Tatar) but no real franchise type players.

Franchise players aren't often traded away, and on the occasion they are, there are 10 bottom-feeders willing to outbid you, plus Paul Holmgren.

Sproul, Jurco and Mantha have star potential. They all have great size and have been very successful at every level they've competed at.

Mrazek as well.

Exactly. Now you are beginning to understand just how special that team was.

I agree with you to an extent, but there's a danger in thinking that anytime a team trades away a prospect or pick that they're mortgaging the future of their club. For instance, we've got defenseman prospects and goalie prospects bleeding out of our ears, and we've got a young goalie and a young defense. You could realistically part with a high quality prospect without losing too much organizational depth. Obviously you don't want to throw them away for nothing, or some marginally good quasi-star player. But if the right piece was available for a package containing Mrazek or Sproul or Ouellet I think you could pretty easily pull the trigger without cursing your organization's future.

Exactly Kipwinger, we have so many prospects, some will never see a spot on the Wings roster. Holland has to be certain about who is worth keeping, but that doesn't mean he should never trade someone. If you rely 90% on prospects it'll take you 10 to 15 years to have fully developed players and a competitive team. And that's only if they work out.

A balance of trades, drafting and UFA signing are the way to a consistently winning team. Trades and signing ensure you can quickly address team weaknesses. Not wait for years for a solution to hopefully develop.

You never know what will happen in the future. Play to win NOW.

I agree with you to an extent, but there's a danger in thinking that anytime a team trades away a prospect or pick that they're mortgaging the future of their club. For instance, we've got defenseman prospects and goalie prospects bleeding out of our ears, and we've got a young goalie and a young defense. You could realistically part with a high quality prospect without losing too much organizational depth. Obviously you don't want to throw them away for nothing, or some marginally good quasi-star player. But if the right piece was available for a package containing Mrazek or Sproul or Ouellet I think you could pretty easily pull the trigger without cursing your organization's future.

I hear what you are saying, and I don't think that Holland will NEVER make a trade, I just think they will be few and far between. Realistically, this team isn't one piece away from a Stanley Cup, so this really isn't the year to make a huge splash. Let the youth develop, see what holes there are to fill a year or two out and I'm sure Holland will seek to build out the team. However, this patient approach won't be enough for many people who are always in win now mode, which I just don't think is a realistic way to build a long term successful franchise.

I hear what you are saying, and I don't think that Holland will NEVER make a trade, I just think they will be few and far between. Realistically, this team isn't one piece away from a Stanley Cup, so this really isn't the year to make a huge splash. Let the youth develop, see what holes there are to fill a year or two out and I'm sure Holland will seek to build out the team. However, this patient approach won't be enough for many people who are always in win now mode, which I just don't think is a realistic way to build a long term successful franchise.

I agree with most your post but I disagree with not being just one move away from a cup contender. If Weiss and mule show up they are huge X factors. Z-pav-Bert could be the best line in hockey, mule-Weiss-alfy could be a very good 2nd line, Tatar-helm-nyquist could be the best third line in hockey, and we can have a very solid 4th line.

As far as defense goes I do believe we need a top 4 defensemen. But we do have the assets to pull off a deal weather it's a solid vet or even a top 2 d-man. We got good prospects, we can move smith, Quincey, and others.

Maybe a team like buffalo would take on a couple of our expiring contracts, tootoo,eaves,Sammy, Quincey, along with smith for a guy like erhoff.

It worked for the Wings for 15 years. You don't trade the farm, but prospects, unless they are a sure fire superstar in the making, get traded so you can get that star score to win the Cup.

It used to be every year Holland would look at the team and say "how can we win it all this year?" The last few years we've heard "how can we not miss playoffs?"

Wait and see never works in pro sports. The problem is trading has all but dried up in the new NHL.

Oh, and my argument has worked for Chicago, too.

Edit: I'm a big fan of getting (good) veterans or prime players and sprinkling young kids around them. Not waiting year after year for a kid to explode and save your team.