• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

I disagree on the last two. I don't think anyone could possibly have anticipated him being as bad as he's been thus far, and I really don't understand why people think that he'll still be around next season if it continues.

This. I tend to err on the pro-Holland side but I just have to get after him on this one. At least, I can NOW. You hit the nail right on the head. No one expected him to be great but I don't think anyone thought he would be THIS worthless.

#22 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

After the trade deadline, does the roster limit not take a hike?

True.

I thought the roster expanded closer to the playoffs, but you are correct!
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#23 shorthanded

shorthanded

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

Cleary is a good player. There is a reason he is on the team. There is a reason other teams wanted him.

Is he top 6 material? no Is he paid top 6 $? no Will he be back next year? yes Will everyone ***** and complain? Yes

I doubt other teams wanted him.  That was likely some BS floated by his agent.

#24 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

say we drop cleary and sams, bring up nyqust are we a winning team then?

#25 wingslionstigers

wingslionstigers

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

say we drop cleary and sams, bring up nyqust are we a winning team then?

We are a winning team last time I checked which was 3 minutes ago, we are 4th in the Eastern Conference. This move would make us a little bit better now but where the beauty of it is... It allows him to develop and we become a much better team in a shorter period of time. We need our future on the ice so we can get to the future. According to you we are a losing team so what's the point of playing bums that are nearing retirement when you could develop your future?

#26 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

Yes the Wings deserve to lose the more they continue to bury him in the minors... Wait, what was the question?

#27 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:22 PM

I doubt other teams wanted him.  That was likely some BS floated by his agent.

He was signed by Philly------------>I remember it like it was just yesterday, receiving that early am b/r update that cleary had been signed by the flyers...I bet their happy

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#28 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

I'd be shocked if he didn't.  Remember Ericsson?  Babcock said that he was the best player he had sent down.  They had to because he could still clear waivers.  It took Smith forever to get up here too.

Once the waiver thingie is gone, Nyquist will be up with us.  If not then, he most certainly will be for the playoffs.  If someone sustains a season-ending injury before that (hopefully not, just throwing out the thought since it is possible), he will be up before that.

<off to do anti-jinx stuff>

Babcock said this about Ville Leino, not Ericsson.  http://blog.mlive.co...y_waived_e.html

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#29 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,909 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

Babcock said this about Ville Leino, not Ericsson.  http://blog.mlive.co...y_waived_e.html

Actually, he said it about Ericsson too.

Doesn't surprise me.  He also has said that different players are the best at taping their sticks as well.  He meant it to mean that the players pay attention to detail, but I found it funny.

EDIT:  I did a search to see if I could find where I had read that.  Turns out he has said it about Leino, Ericsson, and Helm.  :D

Edited by 55fan, 10 November 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#30 FifeHockeyNut

FifeHockeyNut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

Actually, he said it about Ericsson too.

Doesn't surprise me.  He also has said that different players are the best at taping their sticks as well.  He meant it to mean that the players pay attention to detail, but I found it funny.

EDIT:  I did a search to see if I could find where I had read that.  Turns out he has said it about Leino, Ericsson, and Helm.  :D

Gus just needs to bide his time, it's frustrating I know but Helm had to go down to GR in 09 after centering the fourth line in a Stanley cup winning team, he came up around the trade deadline and was instrumental in the next cup run. Do I think Gus will have that sort of impact? No, but if he plays hard everyday he'll be back up sooner rather than later and this time will definitely have benefitted him.

#31 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

I like Gus and Tatar both. When Tatar was sent down last year, I was disappointed. When Gus was assigned to GR to begin this season, I was disappointed.

That being said, they're both undersized guys (as is Almquist, another Wings prospect people salivate over). Pinning long-term hopes on guys like these isn't realistic. They can probably make good contributions, but if anyone is expecting Gus and Tatar to assume the roles of Z and Dats, prepare for more disappointment.

Most of the NHL is getting bigger.

#32 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:31 AM

I like Gus and Tatar both. When Tatar was sent down last year, I was disappointed. When Gus was assigned to GR to begin this season, I was disappointed.

That being said, they're both undersized guys (as is Almquist, another Wings prospect people salivate over). Pinning long-term hopes on guys like these isn't realistic. They can probably make good contributions, but if anyone is expecting Gus and Tatar to assume the roles of Z and Dats, prepare for more disappointment.

I expect jurco and mantha to take over pav and hanks roles down the road.
Tats and Gus I see as fil and hudlers.
Just brought up in the wrong order.
And before anyone says it, I know its a bit unrealistic to think they'll end up close to 13, and 40.
But I meant the best in house talent we have 5 years or less to the big club.

#33 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:59 AM

That's the problem with drafting high risk / high reward, nobody can for sure say how each of them is going to do in the long run, but given the current support cast for Z and Datsyuk it's obvious that this team needs help.  I expect Tatar and to a lesser extent Nyquist to become serviceable players far from being (super)stars but at least regulars.

At the end of the day, the DetroitRedWings need to get bigger, stronger and a lot harder to play against so drafting more guys like McKee (big hardnosed, intimidating) should be on the agenda for the bottom 6. My hopes for Jurco aren't high, awesome hands but undersized and work ethic problems something a guy like Babcok is far from being a fan off, I see him more as a trade chip.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#34 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:49 AM

Jurcos 6'2'' 190 and still putting on weight.
And last season was his first adapting to na ice, and he was awesome in the playoffs.
Where do you get work ethic problems from?

#35 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:57 AM

Jurcos 6'2'' 190 and still putting on weight.
And last season was his first adapting to na ice, and he was awesome in the playoffs.
Where do you get work ethic problems from?

TSN mentioned it, when it was drafted as one of the reasons for his "fall"

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#36 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:15 AM

TSN mentioned it, when it was drafted as one of the reasons for his "fall"

Hmm.
On kuklas Blashill was giving him praise saying how hard he's worked since he got to gr.
And isn't he an assistant captain there already?

#37 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:37 AM

Cleary is a good player. There is a reason he is on the team. There is a reason other teams wanted him.

Is he top 6 material? no Is he paid top 6 $? no Will he be back next year? yes Will everyone ***** and complain? Yes

Danny, shouldn't you be working on your game? 

#38 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:40 AM

I'm surprised Cleary was brought back, and most of the reasons why he was are for his leadership. To bring Nyquist up they have to clear cap room. Waiving 2 people doesn't clear enough, nor does trading Eaves and waiving someone. Samuelsson only clears 100k of cap space. I was iffy when he signed and it has blown up in Holland's face bog time. I did the math last week. If they waive Tootoo and Eaves they will have something like $560 in cap space, can't remember exactly. That's enough to recall Emmerton. Glendening has a cap hit of $575, so he can't be the 23rd player. If they waive Eaves they can trade Tootoo and keep around $450k salary and bring Nyquist up and be right at the cap.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#39 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

All kenny n babs jokes aside, when do we realistically see Nyquist makin his season debut?

#40 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

All kenny n babs jokes aside, when do we realistically see Nyquist makin his season debut?

could be playoffs.... i don't see kenny making anything happen

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?