• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
barabbas16

Datsyuk and Zetterberg Moving Up Statistically

Rate this topic

Anyone who was monitoring the situation would have easily predicted this would happen, but I thought it was worth of mentioning anyway (I'm not sure if something like this has been posted previously or recently, but I didn't remember seeing anything on it.).....

Pavel Datsyuk began the season ranked 10th in career NHL scoring among Russian players with 767 points. He has since passed Sergei Zubov, Sergei Gonchar, Pavel Bure, and Alexei Yashin to move up to 6th place with 785 points. And, he is 31 points behind Ilya Kovalchuk (5th) and 68 points behind Slava Kozlov (4th).

Player GP P

Fedorov 1248 1179

Mogilny 990 1032

Kovalev 1316 1029

Kozlov 1182 853

Kovalchuk 816 816

Datsyuk 796 785

Yashin 850 781

Bure 702 779

Gonchar 1193 777

Zubov 1068 771

Ovechkin 615 754

Pav shouldn't have any problems passing Kovalchuk (since he was kind enough to "retire") this season.... but he'll have to finish with slightly better than a point per game (and stay healthy) to pass Kozlov this year. What are the chances he'll do it? And, where will he end up on this list when he's finished with the NHL?

Also of note, Henrik Zetterberg began the season 13th overall in career NHL points for Swedish players with 672. He's passed Nichael Nylander and Kent Nilsson into 11th thus far this season with 690 points now.

Player GP P

Sundin 1346 1349

Lidstrom 1564 1142

Alfredsson 1195 1121

Forsberg 708 885

Naslund 1117 869

Sandstrom 983 856

T. Steen 950 817

H. Sedin 958 812

Salming 1148 787

D. Sedin 924 775

Zetterberg 731 690

It is unrealistic to expect that Zetterberg will pass anyone else this season. So, the only question here is - Where will Z end up on this list?

I think Pav finishes 2nd behind Feds IF he plays with Z or someone else that can create offense too for the rest of the time he's here. If not, I still think it's possible he finishes that high but more unlikely. Obviously depends on his health as he ages as well.

I put Z finishing his career in 6th behind Sundin, Lids, Alfie, and both Sedins. Behind the Sedins simply because of games played though because Z is the best player out of the three in my opinion. And it's unfortunate because the longer the sedins career goes the more they creep me out, but that's a story for another day.

It's impressive to see Ovechkin only 30 points behind Dats, with 180 less games, especially because the past few seasons people started labeling Ovy as a floater.

Technically it is a nonsense to compare Pavel Datsyuk with Alex Ovechkin in points (goal + pass).

I think NHL has to find some criteria to measure such palyers as Pavel - currently it does not have it.

Even if Pavel scored a goal in shoutouts and von a game (which he did many times) - he will get 0 points.

But it is much more important to measure what he does for all people who watch the game - he tries to make

a masterpiece each shift, while Alex is just waiting for the moment he will get the puck and shot.

BTW, I like the video (NYR-WAS) - it really shows the difference, Pavel would never do that.

So, my point is: hockey is more than just points.

If he stays healthy and plays till the end of his contract, Pav should get to 1000 points and finish 2nd. Obviously Malkin and Ovechkin will push him down to 4th.

Z should end up 6th.

You know, this is the kind of thing that we appreciate about him being here...to watch him quietly rise up the charts of all-time scorers. He's in the top 10 on the Wings as well, not far behind the greats - Howe, Delvecchio, Lidstrom, Yzerman, etc. He goes about it in his own quiet way, and we can only thank the powers that be that we have had the chance to watch it over the years. Wherever he winds up on the charts, it won't matter...numbers don't capture the joy of watching him.

Edited by Kira

Guest Crymson

I don't think Z is going to catch either of the guys in front of him, Pasha should be able to make a run at Kozlov. I really hope, Aflie doesn't catch the perfect human Iwant to see this guy as high as possible.

Do you really hope that Alfredsson will finish this season with only 33 points?

Technically it is a nonsense to compare Pavel Datsyuk with Alex Ovechkin in points (goal + pass).

I think NHL has to find some criteria to measure such palyers as Pavel - currently it does not have it.

Even if Pavel scored a goal in shoutouts and von a game (which he did many times) - he will get 0 points.

But it is much more important to measure what he does for all people who watch the game - he tries to make

a masterpiece each shift, while Alex is just waiting for the moment he will get the puck and shot.

BTW, I like the video (NYR-WAS) - it really shows the difference, Pavel would never do that.

I agree that hockey is more than points, and I also agree with the premise implied in the post above yours by Z Winged Dangler via gif that Datsyuk is a remarkably better defensive player than Ovechkin. My comment wasn't about who plays better defensively or overall. I was just pointing out that I am amazed at Ovechkin's point total thus far, especially considering the past few years he hasn't been in top form. You can say what you want about the rest of his game, but Ovechkin certainly knows how to score. Edited by Echolalia

I don't think Z is going to catch either of the guys in front of him, Pasha should be able to make a run at Kozlov. I really hope, Aflie doesn't catch the perfect human Iwant to see this guy as high as possible.

Do you really hope that Alfredsson will finish this season with only 33 points?

Yes, so the perfect human can hold his position, do I think this will happen? No

I agree that hockey is more than points, and I also agree with the premise implied in the post above yours by Z Winged Dangler via gif that Datsyuk is a remarkably better defensive player than Ovechkin. My comment wasn't about who plays better defensively or overall. I was just pointing out that I am amazed at Ovechkin's point total thus far, especially considering the past few years he hasn't been in top form. You can say what you want about the rest of his game, but Ovechkin certainly knows how to score.

I know. Actually I like Alex, but I like Pav much more. Sure Alex can finish at the top, but kids should watch Pav :-)

On a good note after last nights 2 goal performance, Zetty is tied for 5th in points (20), and tied for 6th in goals (10). Really seein the scoring touch of vintage Z playin on pavs wing.

Also the redwings top 4 (Pav, Z, Bert, n Alfie) have 61 points between them this season.

Rest of team has 30 combined. Yeesh.

Edited by RedWang

Does anyone else think that Z n Dats will be the only ones producing steady scoring this season? They seem to be embracing the workload quite well.

I don't doubt they will, I only question their stamina come playoffs, especially after the Olympics

This.

Datsyuk is one of the best two-way players I've ever seen. This season he actually seems to be skating harder on the backcheck than when we're going up ice.

Whereas Ovechkin literally doesn't understand the nuances and general importance of defensive play. And/Or he's just lazy.

They're both phenomenally gifted hockey players and goal-scorers (and Russian), but comparing them based on point production alone is lame.

Edited by Dabura

If you bench Hank and Pasha, and you depend on people like Cleary, you're going to have a record worse than Edmonton's. Have a little pride, for Pete' sake.