• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Bryz to Oilers

Rate this topic

As per Datsyuk's facebook.

Just heard that Ilya Bryzgalov signed a contract with Edmonton Oilers. Wishing you best of luck. Welcome back to NHL

More confirmation:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/11/8/5082700/ilya-bryzgalov-reportedly-signs-with-edmonton-oilers

Edited by FireCaptain

So an already challenged d core is now getting even worse in order to sign s goalie, who is known as a locker room cancer and couldn't find a job in the NHL. Outstanding job MacTavish, Bryzgalov for sure is exactly what Hall and company are needing right now.

I so hate that phrase, and how beloved it is of hockey fans. So over-used.

I so hate that phrase, and how beloved it is of hockey fans. So over-used.

Locker-room enemy #1, plotter or atmosphere killer that's better? I think hockey-fans like this phrase, because in hockey troublemakers are (thankfully) the minority, not like in other sports - i.e soccer, basketball... - the majority. There is no I in team, something Brzygalov will never understand.

Also with the current Yakupov struggles one would think this guy is not someone a GM would like to have around young-guys. Reimer/Bernier, Miller or maybe Markstrom would have been available ALL are superior options to this guy, MacTavish really screwed up here.

I'm surprised they didn't go after one of the Ducks' goalies. They have 4 solid ones. Hiller, Fasth, the rookie Andersen, and the prospect Gibson. It's not like Anaheim can't spare a goalie as trade bait.

I'm surprised they didn't go after one of the Ducks' goalies. They have 4 solid ones. Hiller, Fasth, the rookie Andersen, and the prospect Gibson. It's not like Anaheim can't spare a goalie as trade bait.

Murray would have been fired if he traded Gibson, I think Hiller or Andersen would definately have been available for the right price, they need to improve their D and goaltending not improving one AND weakening the other.

Ha. This move is such a head-scratcher to me.

Sure, Bryz can play out of his mind (literally) good hockey, but he can also play some pretty terrible hockey if he loses it.

He'll have absolutely no defense in front of him and will probably have his first melt down 8-10 games played with the Oil.

Locker-room enemy #1, plotter or atmosphere killer that's better? I think hockey-fans like this phrase, because in hockey troublemakers are (thankfully) the minority, not like in other sports - i.e soccer, basketball... - the majority. There is no I in team, something Brzygalov will never understand.

Also with the current Yakupov struggles one would think this guy is not someone a GM would like to have around young-guys. Reimer/Bernier, Miller or maybe Markstrom would have been available ALL are superior options to this guy, MacTavish really screwed up here.

I feel the need to correct you on the bolded part.

ahole_zpsb3ad7f8f.jpg

I'm shaking my head at this. Granted, goalies are kind of weird in general, but is having Bryz really going to benefit the kids in Edmonton? Either they're going to be distracted and play worse, or this is going to be some sort of weird cast of characters that actually works. All they need now is a platypus that takes face-offs.

Newsflash - not everyone on successful teams are best friends. As far as I can tell, Bryzgalov's biggest crime is to be honest with the media. Unless someone displays Sean Avery levels of doucheness, the ONLY thing that matters is what happens on the ice. If Bryz goes in and gives them half decent goaltending, who cares if his team-mates like him.

Dan Cleary is hugely popular with his team-mates, the anti-locker room cancer. Doesn't make him an effective team mate though.

Or what about Yakapov to Toronto for Reimer ...

Or Yakapov to us for Mrazek and Quincey & Samuelsson ... :blind:

Strange choice for Mac ... sign of desperation. But it'll be fun to have the Russian philosopher back. Sounds like Dats and him are buds of some sort.

Edited by RedWingsRox

Guest Crymson

Newsflash - not everyone on successful teams are best friends. As far as I can tell, Bryzgalov's biggest crime is to be honest with the media. Unless someone displays Sean Avery levels of doucheness, the ONLY thing that matters is what happens on the ice. If Bryz goes in and gives them half decent goaltending, who cares if his team-mates like him.

Newsflash: stability in the locker room benefits on-ice play---this is an indisputable fact---whereas instability in the locker room negatively influences performance. I don't think you're qualified to speak to the degree of trouble necessary to cause problems; the simple reality is that less will always be better.

I agree that being a leader in the locker room does not translate to being valuable on the ice, but that is irrelevant to the point at hand.

Guest Crymson

I don't think Yakapov is going anywhere.

The Oilers informed him earlier this week that he's no longer on the block.

Newsflash: stability in the locker room benefits on-ice play---this is an indisputable fact---whereas instability in the locker room negatively influences performance. I don't think you're qualified to speak to the degree of trouble necessary to cause problems; the simple reality is that less will always be better.

I agree that being a leader in the locker room does not translate to being valuable on the ice, but that is irrelevant to the point at hand.

Indisputable fact? :lol: You have scientific studies with, y'know, graphs and everything?

And if I'm not qualified to speak, I guess you aren't either? What I do know - from personal experience - is that when you've got a good team of people, who are good at their jobs, and want to do well, they can also be difficult people. Strong characters, opinionated, argumentative, think they're right and everyone else is wrong. But you know what? I'm willing to put up with it because they're good at their job and they want it done right. So I disagree that less is always better.

Claude Lemiuex was a POS who once ripped a team-mate to bits in front of the rest of the team so hard that he caused him to burst into tears. That team-mate never played for the Avs again, whilst Lemiuex won 4 cups. Nice guys don't always win. It's better if winners are nice, but they're often not.