Let's Get Stevie Y to Join the Alumni!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 stevieyalumni

stevieyalumni

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

Please like and share this Facebook page to support Steve Yzerman joining the 2014 Winter Classic Alumni Game!

https://www.facebook.com/stevieyalumni

Also, sign the petition!

http://www.petitionb...ns/steveyzerman

Thank you!!

#2 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

I'd run to detroit if he plays.

#3 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

By some accounts, Yzerman has trouble skating. Some say that he's unwilling to participate because of his role with another organization, but I doubt that this is the case.

Edited by Crymson, 09 November 2013 - 03:32 PM.

#4 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

I fully understand the desire to have him in the game. Yzerman is one if my favorite players of all time. But, the guy has repeatedly said he does not want to play. I really don't like the idea of this petition. He doesn't owe us anything. This petition will only put pressure him to do something he does not want to do. Why are your desires so much more important than his?

Edit: Also, you made an account here just so you could get more people to sign your petition. You're using the forum and its members to further your own selfish goals.

Edited by The Greek, 09 November 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#5 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

My understanding is that it would simply hurt him too much to participate in a hockey game. And I mean physically, not emotionally.

I read somewhere that he hasn't laced 'em up since his last game.

Edited by Dabura, 09 November 2013 - 04:09 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#6 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

By some accounts, Yzerman has trouble skating. Some say that he's unwilling to participate because of his role with another organization, but I doubt that this is the case.

He said as much when asked about it before it was cancelled last year.   I have yet to figure out the appeal of the Alumni games. 

#7 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

He said as much when asked about it before it was cancelled last year.   I have yet to figure out the appeal of the Alumni games. 

To fans or to the players?

#8 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

The fans.  Of course the players like it, being able to re capture the glory. 

#9 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

I would love to see Stevie Y play again. I think both Wings AND Leafs fans would go nuts seeing the Captain lace them up again... BUT as others have mentioned, his knees by all account have kept him from skating much if at all since his retirement. The guy doesn't owe us anything, and with knees as bad as his, it would be both tremendously painful and possibly embarrassing to struggle to keep up with everyone else.

I have faith that Stevie would play if he possibly could, and since he isn't, I support him regardless.

#10 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

This screams advertisement and using the captain for something like that is a shame. I would love seeing Stevo Y lacing em up again but his knees are bad and he is the GM of another organization.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#11 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

The fans.  Of course the players like it, being able to re capture the glory. 

The same is true for the fans.

#12 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

Ive heard multiple times that Stevie hasnt been on skates since he retired. The guy did enough for this organization let him enjoy his new life off the ice. If he could skate Id imagine he would be playing depending on what his GM duties might be at that time. Like it or not anything to do with Tampa is Steve's #1 priority now over anything involving the Wings and that's the way it should be.

Edited by GoalieManPat, 09 November 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#13 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,872 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

How is this thread still open?  The topic's relationship to hockey is tenuous at best. It's solicitation, plain and simple.  How is this any different than those threads with links for online pharmacies?  The OP is not a legitimate member of LGW.  He's only using LGW as a platform to reach more people. 

C'mon mods, clean it up. 

How about letting the mods decide if people here really want to discuss the Alumni game and Stevie Y? 

With regards to the topic at hand:

I'm looking forward to the Alumni games.  I was seriously surprised to hear Shanahan would be involved since he is supposed to be neutral, but I'm glad that he will be.

If Stevie chooses not to play because he is busy with Tampa, I can respect that.  If he chooses not to play because he can't skate, I can respect that too.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with letting him know that he is still loved and revered as one of the greats around here.  He's earned that.

Those of us who are older love these things.  These are the players that we remember well.  All too fast, they're disappearing from the game, and soon they'll be gone from our sphere.  I'm glad that we have these "homecoming" events to see them again.  Sure they're meaningless from a standpoint of making the playoffs, but they're our past and we were a part of that.

#14 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

How about letting the mods decide if people here really want to discuss the Alumni game and Stevie Y? 

There are plenty of threads that contain these discussions you speak of. I have a problem with this thread because it was started for solicitation purposes, not to foster a discussion. I wouldn't even have this much of a problem if it was started by an established LGW member. But the OP just dropped this thread on us then left. He isn't contributing anything to the forum. He's using LGW to get more traffic to his Facebook page and signatures for his petition.

If I have done or said anything inappropriate, the mods would let me know.

#15 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,872 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

Looks like Mickey is going to be asking Stevie these same questions at intermission tonight.

#16 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,872 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

Oh, Stevie... keep us hanging on.  Didn't say no outright, but certainly downplayed it.

"Haven't given it much thought."

"Will be in town."

"A lot going on with Olympics, World jr's, Lightning."

Looks like we'll have to wait for a firm answer, but it kind of sounds like a no.  Of course, I could be wrong...

#17 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

CAN WE GET A PETITION TO GET NYQUIST UP TO THE BIG TEAM?

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#18 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:33 AM

CAN WE GET A PETITION TO GET NYQUIST UP TO THE BIG TEAM?

I love this post, you win the forum

#19 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:24 AM

"I don't even own pair of skates."

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#20 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:39 AM

He hasn't skated since his last game. Does this not tell you that he is not going to play in the WC? I would love to see him play but its not going to happen.