• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevieyalumni

Let's Get Stevie Y to Join the Alumni!

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

By some accounts, Yzerman has trouble skating. Some say that he's unwilling to participate because of his role with another organization, but I doubt that this is the case.

Edited by Crymson

I fully understand the desire to have him in the game. Yzerman is one if my favorite players of all time. But, the guy has repeatedly said he does not want to play. I really don't like the idea of this petition. He doesn't owe us anything. This petition will only put pressure him to do something he does not want to do. Why are your desires so much more important than his?

Edit: Also, you made an account here just so you could get more people to sign your petition. You're using the forum and its members to further your own selfish goals.

Edited by The Greek

My understanding is that it would simply hurt him too much to participate in a hockey game. And I mean physically, not emotionally.

I read somewhere that he hasn't laced 'em up since his last game.

Edited by Dabura

Guest Playmaker

By some accounts, Yzerman has trouble skating. Some say that he's unwilling to participate because of his role with another organization, but I doubt that this is the case.

He said as much when asked about it before it was cancelled last year. I have yet to figure out the appeal of the Alumni games.

Guest Crymson

He said as much when asked about it before it was cancelled last year. I have yet to figure out the appeal of the Alumni games.

To fans or to the players?

I would love to see Stevie Y play again. I think both Wings AND Leafs fans would go nuts seeing the Captain lace them up again... BUT as others have mentioned, his knees by all account have kept him from skating much if at all since his retirement. The guy doesn't owe us anything, and with knees as bad as his, it would be both tremendously painful and possibly embarrassing to struggle to keep up with everyone else.

I have faith that Stevie would play if he possibly could, and since he isn't, I support him regardless.

Guest Crymson

The fans. Of course the players like it, being able to re capture the glory.

The same is true for the fans.

Ive heard multiple times that Stevie hasnt been on skates since he retired. The guy did enough for this organization let him enjoy his new life off the ice. If he could skate Id imagine he would be playing depending on what his GM duties might be at that time. Like it or not anything to do with Tampa is Steve's #1 priority now over anything involving the Wings and that's the way it should be.

Edited by GoalieManPat

How is this thread still open? The topic's relationship to hockey is tenuous at best. It's solicitation, plain and simple. How is this any different than those threads with links for online pharmacies? The OP is not a legitimate member of LGW. He's only using LGW as a platform to reach more people.

C'mon mods, clean it up.

How about letting the mods decide if people here really want to discuss the Alumni game and Stevie Y?

With regards to the topic at hand:

I'm looking forward to the Alumni games. I was seriously surprised to hear Shanahan would be involved since he is supposed to be neutral, but I'm glad that he will be.

If Stevie chooses not to play because he is busy with Tampa, I can respect that. If he chooses not to play because he can't skate, I can respect that too.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with letting him know that he is still loved and revered as one of the greats around here. He's earned that.

Those of us who are older love these things. These are the players that we remember well. All too fast, they're disappearing from the game, and soon they'll be gone from our sphere. I'm glad that we have these "homecoming" events to see them again. Sure they're meaningless from a standpoint of making the playoffs, but they're our past and we were a part of that.

How about letting the mods decide if people here really want to discuss the Alumni game and Stevie Y?

There are plenty of threads that contain these discussions you speak of. I have a problem with this thread because it was started for solicitation purposes, not to foster a discussion. I wouldn't even have this much of a problem if it was started by an established LGW member. But the OP just dropped this thread on us then left. He isn't contributing anything to the forum. He's using LGW to get more traffic to his Facebook page and signatures for his petition.

If I have done or said anything inappropriate, the mods would let me know.

Oh, Stevie... keep us hanging on. Didn't say no outright, but certainly downplayed it.

"Haven't given it much thought."

"Will be in town."

"A lot going on with Olympics, World jr's, Lightning."

Looks like we'll have to wait for a firm answer, but it kind of sounds like a no. Of course, I could be wrong...

My understanding is that it would simply hurt him too much to participate in a hockey game. And I mean physically, not emotionally.

I read somewhere that he hasn't laced 'em up since his last game.

That makes me sad. That being said it would be nice to see him with everyone, laced up or not he's f*@#ing Steve Yzerman LGW

Guest Playmaker

With all due respect to Yzerman, he needs to s*** or get off the pot. Enough waffling already. If he truly is not playing, say so. I think everyone gets he has commitments with Team Canada and TB, and is aware of his physical limitations. No hard feelings. But come on, I haven't thought about it, I'm not sure, don't know my schedule? Come on, Stevie. Just say it's not happening, and then if by chance the schedule opens up, show up and surprise everyone. What's so hard about that?

With all due respect to Yzerman, he needs to s*** or get off the pot. Enough waffling already. If he truly is not playing, say so. I think everyone gets he has commitments with Team Canada and TB, and is aware of his physical limitations. No hard feelings. But come on, I haven't thought about it, I'm not sure, don't know my schedule? Come on, Stevie. Just say it's not happening, and then if by chance the schedule opens up, show up and surprise everyone. What's so hard about that?

So you don't care about the game but are simultaneously annoyed that Yzerman isn't giving an answer?

Unless he's secretly been skating, the answer is 99% no. I don't know if he even can skate again, but it's pretty clear he hasn't been. Maybe he's not coming out with a straight "No" because it could dissuade people from buying tickets to it.

Given how screwed up his knee probably is, it could also be really depressing to see him try to skate out there.

Guest Playmaker

So you don't care about the game but are simultaneously annoyed that Yzerman isn't giving an answer?

Unless he's secretly been skating, the answer is 99% no. I don't know if he even can skate again, but it's pretty clear he hasn't been. Maybe he's not coming out with a straight "No" because it could dissuade people from buying tickets to it.

Given how screwed up his knee probably is, it could also be really depressing to see him try to skate out there.

Yes, because all he is doing is keeping the speculation going and giving hope to the fans who are seemingly so desperate to see him out there, despite the fact he probably can't skate at all. If he can't skate and he has all the commitments, say so and graciously decline. It seems like ticket sales have been somewhat brisk, and I can't really see why Yzerman would care about ticket sales, and if he was really concerned, he'd show up.

I think a lot of people have forgotten just how significant his surgery was. If I recall correctly, they had to cut a wedge shaped piece out of one of his leg bones to shift the weight bearing, and he was the first professional athlete to return and play after that surgery.

Stevie Y bled for the Wings for a very long time, and owes nothing. That said, it's entirely possible that he just isn't physically able to skate anymore, and doesn't want to tarnish the memories many have of his career. I remember him having to use his stick to get up after going down several times. After years of not skating, he doesn't have the conditioning to do so most likely. He is also much older and wouldn't recover as easily. For all we know skating could be him jeopardizing walking if he goes down the wrong way.

I'd love to see him skate as much as the next fan, but not if it is jeopardizing his health. I'd be happy to see him make an appearance and just be there, maybe even helping Vladdy make his entrance if needed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/news/2003/03/06/burning_questions/?mobile=no

Above is a link to an article describing the osteotomy.

Edited by TheXym