• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

My understanding is that it would simply hurt him too much to participate in a hockey game. And I mean physically, not emotionally.

I read somewhere that he hasn't laced 'em up since his last game.

That makes me sad.   That being said it would be nice to see him with everyone, laced up or not he's f*@#ing Steve Yzerman LGW

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#22 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

With all due respect to Yzerman, he needs to s*** or get off the pot.  Enough waffling already.  If he truly is not playing, say so.  I think everyone gets he has commitments with Team Canada and TB, and is aware of his physical limitations.  No hard feelings.  But come on, I haven't thought about it, I'm not sure, don't know my schedule?  Come on, Stevie.  Just say it's not happening, and then if by chance the schedule opens up, show up and surprise everyone.  What's so hard about that?

#23 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

With all due respect to Yzerman, he needs to s*** or get off the pot.  Enough waffling already.  If he truly is not playing, say so.  I think everyone gets he has commitments with Team Canada and TB, and is aware of his physical limitations.  No hard feelings.  But come on, I haven't thought about it, I'm not sure, don't know my schedule?  Come on, Stevie.  Just say it's not happening, and then if by chance the schedule opens up, show up and surprise everyone.  What's so hard about that?

So you don't care about the game but are simultaneously annoyed that Yzerman isn't giving an answer?

Unless he's secretly been skating, the answer is 99% no.  I don't know if he even can skate again, but it's pretty clear he hasn't been.  Maybe he's not coming out with a straight "No" because it could dissuade people from buying tickets to it.

Given how screwed up his knee probably is, it could also be really depressing to see him try to skate out there.

#24 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

So you don't care about the game but are simultaneously annoyed that Yzerman isn't giving an answer?

Unless he's secretly been skating, the answer is 99% no.  I don't know if he even can skate again, but it's pretty clear he hasn't been.  Maybe he's not coming out with a straight "No" because it could dissuade people from buying tickets to it.

Given how screwed up his knee probably is, it could also be really depressing to see him try to skate out there.

Yes, because all he is doing is keeping the speculation going and giving hope to the fans who are seemingly so desperate to see him out there, despite the fact he probably can't skate at all.  If he can't skate and he has all the commitments, say so and graciously decline.  It seems like ticket sales have been somewhat brisk, and I can't really see why Yzerman would care about ticket sales, and if he was really concerned, he'd show up. 

#25 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

I think a lot of people have forgotten just how significant his surgery was. If I recall correctly, they had to cut a wedge shaped piece out of one of his leg bones to shift the weight bearing, and he was the first professional athlete to return and play after that surgery.

Stevie Y bled for the Wings for a very long time, and owes nothing. That said, it's entirely possible that he just isn't physically able to skate anymore, and doesn't want to tarnish the memories many have of his career. I remember him having to use his stick to get up after going down several times. After years of not skating, he doesn't have the conditioning to do so most likely. He is also much older and wouldn't recover as easily. For all we know skating could be him jeopardizing walking if he goes down the wrong way.

I'd love to see him skate as much as the next fan, but not if it is jeopardizing his health. I'd be happy to see him make an appearance and just be there, maybe even helping Vladdy make his entrance if needed.

http://sportsillustr...ions/?mobile=no

Above is a link to an article describing the osteotomy.

Edited by TheXym, 10 November 2013 - 06:14 PM.

It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#26 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

Alright Stevie, let's make a deal. 

I'd be willing to accept that you won't/can't play for the Alumni in this year's Winter Classic.  It hurts, but I can accept that over time. 

But in exchange, once Ken Holland decides it's time, you have to become the Red Wings GM and Exec. Vice President and continue on the tradition of Red Wings playoff success.

Cool?  Seems fair to me.  :D

#27 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:02 AM

Alright Stevie, let's make a deal. 

I'd be willing to accept that you won't/can't play for the Alumni in this year's Winter Classic.  It hurts, but I can accept that over time. 

But in exchange, once Ken Holland decides it's time, you have to become the Red Wings GM and Exec. Vice President and continue on the tradition of Red Wings playoff success.

Cool?  Seems fair to me.  :D

I really really believe Stevo Y is going to be the next in line once Kenny steps it up. I mean, this guy is the captain he is learning the pros/cons of being a GM and seems to know how to rebuild a team. He is loved by the fans and players respect him too, it doesn't get better than that.

Personally I'd like to see him throw the first faceoff puck and getting a big standing ovation with Stevie Stevie chants from the crowd.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#28 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

His knee is gone and he has a lot of other responsibilities. No need for him to play.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#29 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

Yes, he's hurt, yes he has other responsibilities, so why doesn't he just come out and say I will not be playing, sorry.  Instead of well, haven't really thought about it and all that other junk.  I care if he plays, it's just the constant speculation and things like this Facebook petition that drive me crazy.  Yzerman can easily put a stop to it all instead of being wishy washy and non committal. 

#30 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

We know he can't physically play.  The question is whether or not he'll participate.   That doesn't necessarily mean playing.  Maybe- just maybe- something is floating past him or the front office or something, but no one wants to say anything yet because he honestly doesn't know if he'll be able to commit to it at that time or not.

Maybe a maybe is just a maybe.  Maybe.

#31 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

Ok, I'm going to come in here for a short rant because I'm feeling surly this fine Monday morning. Disclaimer: this pertains to the topic at hand, but is directed at the media covering this kerfluffle and not so much about any of the opinions expressed in this thread.

I want Steve Yzerman to participate in the AG as much as anyone. He is My Captain, the man I grew up watching lead this team longer than all others. I paid good money for my AG tix, and would love nothing more than to get the opportunity to piss my pants over seeing Stevie on a line with Feds again (because I like to party, natch).

That being said, I am sick and fricking *tired* of the BS ENTITLEMENT being expressed in so many of the articles covering the issue. "Stevie owes it to THE FANS!!!111!!1!1" NO. No he doesn't. He gave up his heart, soul, body, you name it to this team when he was captain. He owed it to the fans for 23 years, a promise he made good on time and time again. He owes us NOTHING more than he has already given. People saying they're "losing respect" for Yzerman's legacy because he's being noncommittal about attending the AG? Good grief!

Short of flying in by helicopter and taking a dump on JLA, there's not much Stevie could do that would make me lose respect for his legacy. That includes not giving a rabbit fart about the AG.

Whatever. TL,DR and all that. Happy Vets day to all who've served and the families that support them.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#32 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

unfortunately, the captain seems to have no interest in this game. probably a combination of broken body and the fact that its too close to his retirement and he moved on. All of that I sort of get.

Unfortunately, it does come across a bit as being arrogant.

Just say why you can't play and people will move on

My wish: A healthy roster

#33 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

unfortunately, the captain seems to have no interest in this game. probably a combination of broken body and the fact that its too close to his retirement and he moved on. All of that I sort of get.

Unfortunately, it does come across a bit as being arrogant.

Just say why you can't play and people will move on

I'd say that he probably doesn't want to let down Wings fans. Stevie could have run for the Governor of Michigan at one point not so long ago. 

That said, I completely agree with your last point. Just tell us already, ok Steve? 

#34 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:19 PM