74 replies to this topic

#1 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

http://kuklaskorner....ranzens-ailment

If this is indeed the case, I hope that it isn't treated any differently than a physical ailment.

#2 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

This could explain his lack of production.

#3 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

It explains why he is a completely different player out there some nights. Maybe the thought of being bought out is aggravating it? Who knows.

#4 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,549 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

It's all completely speculation at this point.

If Franzen had issues managing his anxiety anytime while on the Red Wings, then Holland is an even bigger fool than I thought for giving him an 11 year contract based on a few good seasons. 

#5 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:46 PM

That's like saying we shouldn't have signed Weiss to a long term deal because he had a history of injuries.  The article from 2009 that was linked was especially eye opening. 

#6 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

Didn't seem to affect his, or his agents' negotiating skills a few years ago.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#7 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

now i know why he floats so much hes probably on xanax. def makes you not give a f*** about anything

nonetheless anxiety sucks and if thats the case i actually feel bad for him cause ive experience anxiety and it sucks. 

#8 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

It's all completely speculation at this point.

If Franzen had issues managing his anxiety anytime while on the Red Wings, then Holland is an even bigger fool than I thought for giving him an 11 year contract based on a few good seasons. 

I wouldn't fault a GM in understanding the incredibly wide range of issues that an anxiety disorder can create. Franzen may not have even been aware of them, and often if they're combined with dissociation of any kind it's not the type of thing people are keen on talking about.

#9 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

Oh great.

I've always compared Franzen to the song "Comfortably Numb"  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#10 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,549 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:58 PM

I wouldn't fault a GM in understanding the incredibly wide range of issues that an anxiety disorder can create. Franzen may not have even been aware of them, and often if they're combined with dissociation of any kind it's not the type of thing people are keen on talking about.

I agree to a point, but a GM doesn't have to understand it.  Because it's a complex issue is exactly why you don't commit to that player for 11 years.

Mule had been on the Red Wings for 3 seasons before they gave him the monster contract.  If they were so pronounced they impacted his daily life and game, they had to at least had to have a sense for his issues and personality by then.

#11 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

I agree to a point, but a GM doesn't have to understand it.  Because it's a complex issue is exactly why you don't commit to that player for 11 years.

Mule had been on the Red Wings for 3 seasons before they gave him the monster contract.  If they were so pronounced they impacted his daily life and game, they had to at least had to have a sense for his issues and personality by then.

Professional therapists can't always even get a sense of it. He stated he's had it since he was a teenager so they likely knew, but after his 08 and 09 performances they probably thought it was well managed.

#12 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,660 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

If he does have this problem, and if he had it in the past, it could be that different circumstances, different medications, or just different life events could change things for him.

Since he scored all of those goals he's been thrust into the limelight (which he's always said is not comfortable for him), gotten a new contract, had new expectations thrust upon him, gotten married, had a baby, and had some injuries.  Any or all of these things could trigger different issues that could have been addressed in any number of ways.

We can sit here and speculate all we want, but IIRC, Babs degree was in sports psychology.  If there is an issue, he's probably as good, if not better, than any other coach to deal with things.

Anxiety and depression can be treated, but the symptoms and severity often change, and often meds (which often have side effects) have to be changed too.

Whatever he's going through, I hope he can get through it and return in good form.

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#13 fixxxer

fixxxer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

"speculated that Johan Franzen's absence from the team is due to some sort of flare-up of his social anxiety issues."

This is the worst "speculation" I've ever seen for this situation. I don't buy into someone with social anxiety severe enough to be treated doesn't go into professional sports, let alone a team sport, or even a sport in general.

#14 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

"speculated that Johan Franzen's absence from the team is due to some sort of flare-up of his social anxiety issues."

This is the worst "speculation" I've ever seen for this situation. I don't buy into someone with social anxiety severe enough to be treated doesn't go into professional sports, let alone a team sport, or even a sport in general.

If Herschel Walker could play football with d.i.d., Franzen can accomplish what he has with anxiety.

Edited by Mckinley25, 09 November 2013 - 10:47 PM.

#15 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:04 AM

Zach Greinke has had problems with anxiety and he's pitched great. As far as Franzen goes I'm not in love with somebody making assumptions about a persons mental health. Malik can't know something like that without being told or being a part of the situation. Leave the psycho-analyzing to the professionals.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#16 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

It's Now or Never, Kenny....

• Silver Booster
  • 5,443 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:20 AM

Anyone think it could have something to do with the HBO filming?

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#17 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:05 AM

Anyone think it could have something to do with the HBO filming?

That's a really good question.
If it is because of the 24/7 cameras, maybe its precautionary so he doesn't get rattled with the cameras violating the sanctity of the locker room for him.
Or.
It's already gotten to him and its making him physically ill thinking about it.
So. Either way.
I hope he gets himself well, and comes back with a passion.

#18 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

They always say mule needs to develop his "confidence" before he goes on a scoring streak. Hope the translation isn't "get his anxiety under control."

Either way this brings up an interesting issue of mental health in sports. It's something I've never heard discussed.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#19 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

Zach Greinke has had problems with anxiety and he's pitched great. As far as Franzen goes I'm not in love with somebody making assumptions about a persons mental health. Malik can't know something like that without being told or being a part of the situation. Leave the psycho-analyzing to the professionals.

While I agree to a point, I think the Wings have to be aware that when a star player is out of the lineup and a lot of vague answers are given, speculation is going to occur.  I don't think Malik is pulling this out of his ass, it is in Franzen's history.  In seeing some of the comments here, I can see why Franzen and the Wings might be hesitant to be honest about his health.  There still seems to be a stigma with some or that somehow he's just not tough enough to overcome it.

#20 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:00 AM

God I just hope Holland finally makes a good move and buys him out.