• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Playmaker

Speculation regarding Franzen's ailment

Rate this topic

Guest Playmaker

That's like saying we shouldn't have signed Weiss to a long term deal because he had a history of injuries. The article from 2009 that was linked was especially eye opening.

now i know why he floats so much hes probably on xanax. def makes you not give a f*** about anything

nonetheless anxiety sucks and if thats the case i actually feel bad for him cause ive experience anxiety and it sucks.

It's all completely speculation at this point.

If Franzen had issues managing his anxiety anytime while on the Red Wings, then Holland is an even bigger fool than I thought for giving him an 11 year contract based on a few good seasons.

I wouldn't fault a GM in understanding the incredibly wide range of issues that an anxiety disorder can create. Franzen may not have even been aware of them, and often if they're combined with dissociation of any kind it's not the type of thing people are keen on talking about.

I wouldn't fault a GM in understanding the incredibly wide range of issues that an anxiety disorder can create. Franzen may not have even been aware of them, and often if they're combined with dissociation of any kind it's not the type of thing people are keen on talking about.

I agree to a point, but a GM doesn't have to understand it. Because it's a complex issue is exactly why you don't commit to that player for 11 years.

Mule had been on the Red Wings for 3 seasons before they gave him the monster contract. If they were so pronounced they impacted his daily life and game, they had to at least had to have a sense for his issues and personality by then.

I agree to a point, but a GM doesn't have to understand it. Because it's a complex issue is exactly why you don't commit to that player for 11 years.

Mule had been on the Red Wings for 3 seasons before they gave him the monster contract. If they were so pronounced they impacted his daily life and game, they had to at least had to have a sense for his issues and personality by then.

Professional therapists can't always even get a sense of it. He stated he's had it since he was a teenager so they likely knew, but after his 08 and 09 performances they probably thought it was well managed.

If he does have this problem, and if he had it in the past, it could be that different circumstances, different medications, or just different life events could change things for him.

Since he scored all of those goals he's been thrust into the limelight (which he's always said is not comfortable for him), gotten a new contract, had new expectations thrust upon him, gotten married, had a baby, and had some injuries. Any or all of these things could trigger different issues that could have been addressed in any number of ways.

We can sit here and speculate all we want, but IIRC, Babs degree was in sports psychology. If there is an issue, he's probably as good, if not better, than any other coach to deal with things.

Anxiety and depression can be treated, but the symptoms and severity often change, and often meds (which often have side effects) have to be changed too.

Whatever he's going through, I hope he can get through it and return in good form.

"speculated that Johan Franzen's absence from the team is due to some sort of flare-up of his social anxiety issues."

This is the worst "speculation" I've ever seen for this situation. I don't buy into someone with social anxiety severe enough to be treated doesn't go into professional sports, let alone a team sport, or even a sport in general.

"speculated that Johan Franzen's absence from the team is due to some sort of flare-up of his social anxiety issues."

This is the worst "speculation" I've ever seen for this situation. I don't buy into someone with social anxiety severe enough to be treated doesn't go into professional sports, let alone a team sport, or even a sport in general.

If Herschel Walker could play football with d.i.d., Franzen can accomplish what he has with anxiety. Edited by Mckinley25

Zach Greinke has had problems with anxiety and he's pitched great. As far as Franzen goes I'm not in love with somebody making assumptions about a persons mental health. Malik can't know something like that without being told or being a part of the situation. Leave the psycho-analyzing to the professionals.

Anyone think it could have something to do with the HBO filming?

That's a really good question.

If it is because of the 24/7 cameras, maybe its precautionary so he doesn't get rattled with the cameras violating the sanctity of the locker room for him.

Or.

It's already gotten to him and its making him physically ill thinking about it.

So. Either way.

I hope he gets himself well, and comes back with a passion.

They always say mule needs to develop his "confidence" before he goes on a scoring streak. Hope the translation isn't "get his anxiety under control."

Either way this brings up an interesting issue of mental health in sports. It's something I've never heard discussed.

Guest Playmaker

Zach Greinke has had problems with anxiety and he's pitched great. As far as Franzen goes I'm not in love with somebody making assumptions about a persons mental health. Malik can't know something like that without being told or being a part of the situation. Leave the psycho-analyzing to the professionals.

While I agree to a point, I think the Wings have to be aware that when a star player is out of the lineup and a lot of vague answers are given, speculation is going to occur. I don't think Malik is pulling this out of his ass, it is in Franzen's history. In seeing some of the comments here, I can see why Franzen and the Wings might be hesitant to be honest about his health. There still seems to be a stigma with some or that somehow he's just not tough enough to overcome it.

IF this speculation is actually the way that it is, Mule is suffering from a medical condition. He can be put on LTIR.

Perhaps this "speculation" was actually disinformation leaked by the brass so they could have a reason to put him on LTIR...

Perhaps Sammy's booby bruise is going to flare up again soon too. ;)

I said this in another thread:

Franzen is a "healthy scratch" for these games because Babs is sick of his lazy play. The guy is not engaged, and not playing like everyone knows he can.

Whether this is a result of Franzen's lazyness, or some other issue like a mental disorder, remains to be seen.

If Mule is physically and/or emotionally incapable of playing and honoring his contract with the Wings - implicitly, to be out there winning games for this team - he should do as some have and step down. And return his salary.

:greedy:

If this is true and the Mule is suffering from social anxiety with depression, it can be crippling. This certainly does add an " explanation" of his inconsistent play, his inability to rise to the occasion and why he appears to lack any motivation. It's not a free pass.....im not stating that it makes everything better BUT it kinda makes sense. As Karen said, if he is ill....whether it be physically unable to perform OR emotionally unable to perform, he should be placed on IR and be treated....much like if he had a concussion or another injury.

Shane Corson has a well documented and lengthy history with this disorder and it eventually ended his career. I hope Mule can take some time, get some Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and get well from this.