• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Spongewingredpants

Holland: The wings are still learning about the Eastern conference

Rate this topic

http://www.freep.com/article/20131111/SPORTS05/311110023/detroit-red-wings-ken-holland-eastern-conference

odd? what is there to learn when you have a better record in the east and apparently the West is a tougher conference?

sometimes GM BS just makes me shake my head

lol...freudian slip "easter"

http://www.freep.com/article/20131111/SPORTS05/311110023/detroit-red-wings-ken-holland-eastern-conference

odd? what is there to learn when you have a better record in the east and apparently the West is a tougher conference?

sometimes GM BS just makes me shake my head

lol...freudian slip "easter"

It makes more sense now why Babcock has a bee in his bonnet over the team's play lately.

So reading the first paragraph Holland is essentially saying he built a club that can't win the Cup because they're not good enough to beat the Western Conference teams.

As far as the "The wings are still learning about the Eastern Conference" quote, that is just a cop out. They are playing like crap because they're playing like crap not because they moved to the East.

So we could get Quincey and Cleary to dress up like hockey players.

They tried that but the other teams just laughed.

Man, its gotten pretty bad when we are making excuses that awful. We can't win in the East due to lack of familiarity... you know, because the Eastern teams are super familiar with us but not the other way around. And the losses to the West are just because they are better and deeper. So, we can't really be expected to beat anyone, because we are still learning... but that isn't Ken Holland's fault.

I'm failing to see what he said that's worth getting worked up over.

From the article:

“Still learning it a little bit.”

“I’m glad that we got a western Canada trip out of the way when there was no snow,” Holland said. “We’re going to go to California in early January. We’re going to knock out both trips before we go to the Olympics. I like that. Coming back from the Olympics, most of our road trips are around the East. I like our schedule.”

That is everything that he said, aside from an except from back in the summer, before the season began. I don't read "still learning it a little bit" as an excuse by any means, and I don't think there's anything false about that statement. The Wings have 9 games under their belt against the East so far this season. We still haven't even played all the teams in the East yet, so I think its entirely fair to say that the Wings are still learning the East a bit. Film only takes you so far.

Holland brings up a good point about the schedule, though. The Wings have it pretty good, especially compared to previous years. The West Coast trip is already done, Cali in January, which makes the majority of the post-Olympic season against the East. If I were making the schedule I would set it up the same way.

Honestly hate to see our record if we were in the West this year. The West is tough right now minus a couple of teams.

... I thought the east was the "tough" conference and we wouldn't survive the big bad east, and we would be so much better in the west. People just like what if's