#401 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,625 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

187799199_slide.jpg

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#402 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

Heres to hoping monster gets the start. The caps will eat Jimmy for lunch. Really have more faith in monster than Jimmy thus far this season.

#403 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

Heres to hoping monster gets the start. The caps will eat Jimmy for lunch. Really have more faith in monster than Jimmy thus far this season.

Jimmy hasn't been awful, but he hasn't been good either. As someone mentioned, he is 5-5-5 which just isn't good enough. We all know what he is capable of, but no reason we can't sit him for a game or two so that he can get back to his game. We have lost 4 in a row AGAIN, so I think its time for Babs to make a change in net. Lets have Monster start Friday against the Caps and if he gets us the W, no reason to take him out... afterall goalies work best with competition.

#404 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

Jimmy hasn't been awful, but he hasn't been good either. As someone mentioned, he is 5-5-5 which just isn't good enough. We all know what he is capable of, but no reason we can't sit him for a game or two so that he can get back to his game. We have lost 4 in a row AGAIN, so I think its time for Babs to make a change in net. Lets have Monster start Friday against the Caps and if he gets us the W, no reason to take him out... afterall goalies work best with competition.

Hypothetically speaking, lets say monster wins us back to back games fri n sat to improve to 5-0.

Then what? Does he takeover as #1? Do we start switching more often kindof like Chicago did with emery/crawford last season? Im just trying to wrap my head around what happens when a backup clearly outplays the #1.

#405 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

I don't think monster takes over as #1 unless an injury occurs.. that said, I wouldn't be surprised to see them split time IF monster continues to play well & I think he will.

They were talking about the reduced pad size rules in regards to monster (on fsd before last night's game) and I think it might've made him faster/better.. his pads were massive before. then again, I expected a high level of play from him since he signed here so maybe it's just that he's healthy.

Either way, I'm excited to see him between the pipes again & if he plays well/puts some pressure on Howie, I think it'll elevate jimmys play as well

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#406 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

Hypothetically speaking, lets say monster wins us back to back games fri n sat to improve to 5-0.

Then what? Does he takeover as #1? Do we start switching more often kindof like Chicago did with emery/crawford last season? Im just trying to wrap my head around what happens when a backup clearly outplays the #1.

Typically the result is LGW melting down in goalie wars.  :P

Seriously though, even if Monster does outplay Jimmy, Howard is the #1 guy.  So if anything it could be a good thing.  It can give Howard a few games off to mentally rest and work with the goalie coach and tweak things if necessary without worrying about having to hurry back and carry the load.  Plus Jimmy is competitive and will want to be the clear #1.

If come playoff time (assuming the Wings make the playoffs) Monstar is still outplaying Howard it would have to be by a wide margin for him to get the nod.  More likely Howard gets the job and he's on a short leash in the playoffs.  Either way, the last time the Wings yanked the faltering goalie in the playoffs and went all in on the other one, it worked out pretty well for them.

#407 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

Just think if Sammy and Cleary were scoring and we were first in our division. We would never get rid of them and see Nyquist. Losing like this and the huge struggles of our vets will benefit us in the long run

#408 Smite

Smite

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

I was at the game last night, Bert looked slow, I have thought he looked good since being o the top line. but he was off tonight. Franzen line was invisible neither good or bad. I thought Miller played really well. 

my .02

I am attaching a picture I took that Google #autoawesome 'd. this software is amazing. The only thing I did was take rapid pictures during the shoot out. 

20131112_221326-ACTION.jpg

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#409 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

I managed to get front row behind the shootout last night.

#410 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

The wings will never win anything with Jimmy in goal he is not a elite goalie and never will be

Axe?

#411 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

I was at the game last night, Bert looked slow, I have thought he looked good since being o the top line. but he was off tonight. Franzen line was invisible neither good or bad. I thought Miller played really well. 

my .02

I am attaching a picture I took that Google #autoawesome 'd. this software is amazing. The only thing I did was take rapid pictures during the shoot out. 

20131112_221326-ACTION.jpg

Then you must have been one of the fans too busy buying beer during the game, because the 2nd line had a pretty good game generating chances. Franzen was competing hard all night, Alfie had quite a few good chances, and Helmer had a beauty of a move at the end of the game that almost led to a goal.

#412 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:22 AM

This is the kind of thing I'm referring to when I say Holland is full of s***:

http://kuklaskorner....g-for-the-wings

The Wings simply don't have a roster spot or salary-cap space to recalled Nyquist.

"It's complicated," Holland said.

No, it's not complicated, Ken. It's actually very simple: you re-signed Daniel Cleary.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#413 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:42 AM

This is the kind of thing I'm referring to when I say Holland is full of s***:

http://kuklaskorner....g-for-the-wings

No, it's not complicated, Ken. It's actually very simple: you re-signed Daniel Cleary.

"It's complicated" sounds better than "I re-signed Cleary when we were already at the cap and roster limit.  When we were headed into a lockout I gave Samuelsson a raise and a NTC on a 35+ contract.  Oh and I also gave Tootoo too much money for too long of a term.   Especially since my coach must have never really wanted him anyway since he didn't play him at all.  I probably should've at least talked to him first."

#414 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,625 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:10 AM

187810382_slide.jpg

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#415 Smite

Smite

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:46 AM

Then you must have been one of the fans too busy buying beer during the game, because the 2nd line had a pretty good game generating chances. Franzen was competing hard all night, Alfie had quite a few good chances, and Helmer had a beauty of a move at the end of the game that almost led to a goal.

I had one beer that I got before the game started. As I respect your opinion please leave insults out of your post. Maybe I expect more that couple missed net opportunities in the third period from my second line and was looking for more hustle. But Babs was impressed with the line, he and you must have saw something I did not. 

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#416 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

"It's complicated" sounds better than "I re-signed Cleary when we were already at the cap and roster limit.  When we were headed into a lockout I gave Samuelsson a raise and a NTC on a 35+ contract.  Oh and I also gave Tootoo too much money for too long of a term.   Especially since my coach must have never really wanted him anyway since he didn't play him at all.  I probably should've at least talked to him first."

I'm not saying he should lay all his recent mistakes bare. I'm not even saying he shouldn't bulls*** the media and fans. I am saying he should be at least a little crafty and creative, and maybe even halfway convincing. I mean, in this context, "It's complicated" is basically a euphemism for "I screwed up." You might as well just drop the act altogether.

What I'm saying is, no matter what Ken Holland does, I'm going to be outraged by it. BUT, the guy doesn't have to insult me every time he answers a question. (I'll do the insulting around here, thank you very much.)

On that note...

http://www.grantland...ockey-this-week

Being a GM is super-hard, you guys!

Which you already knew, of course, because at this time of year we’re reminded of it constantly. We’re told that the salary cap has made it really hard to make trades, that there are too many teams still in the hunt, and that the days of even semi-interesting trade deadlines is long gone. Any GM who gets near a microphone these days will immediately start bleating about how tough it is to do their job.

Never mind that 29 out of 30 teams will be able to take on more than $5 million in cap hits by the deadline. Never mind that the league passed a new “salary trading” rule specifically to make it easier to make trades. Never mind that many of the teams pretending they’re still in the playoff race are not, in fact, anywhere near the playoff race. No trades for you!

Look, NHL general managers, we are the hockey fans of the world and we’re only going to say this once: We demand trades. And we know what that means: bleary-eyed players stumbling onto midnight cross-continental flights; wives left behind to manage the remnants of a broken home; small children tearfully saying good-bye to school friends they will never see again. And as fans, trust me when I say we are all completely fine with this. So you having to put in a few hours of overtime this week isn’t going to faze us.

We want our trade deadline frenzy. Stop with the whining and start making phone calls, transaction monkeys.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#417 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

I'm not saying he should lay all his recent mistakes bare. I'm not even saying he shouldn't bulls*** the media and fans. I am saying he should be at least a little crafty and creative, and maybe even halfway convincing. I mean, in this context, "It's complicated" is basically a euphemism for "I screwed up." You might as well just drop the act altogether.

What I'm saying is, no matter what Ken Holland does, I'm going to be outraged by it. BUT, the guy doesn't have to insult me every time he answers a question. (I'll do the insulting around here, thank you very much.)

On that note...

http://www.grantland...ockey-this-week

Actually I agree with you.  Just making a bad joke.

Holland's answers get very frustrating.

#418 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

Oh, I know - but your joke made a good point. (What do you want him to do, say, "I screwed up. Actually, I''ve been screwing up a lot lately. This is just the latest in a reasonably long line of recent screw-ups"? Be reasonable.)

Fire Ken Holland and replace him with Larry Murphy!

Don't Toews me, bro!