18 replies to this topic

#1 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

St. Louis Blues @StLouisBlues 24m

BREAKING: The Blues have agreed to a one-year deal with former Blue Carlo Colaiacovo pending a medical. http://bit.ly/16ZjXeM 

I thought Cola was pretty solid for the Wings once he got healthy.  Nice that he got picked up somewhere.

And it still surprises me but did Ian White end up anywhere??

#2 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

White did not sign anywhere.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#3 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

Good for Carlo.  Though I don't really miss him, I did like him, and thought he got the short end of the stick on that buyout. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#4 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

Never understood the hostility towards him.  He looked great for us while healthy.  It's not his fault he got injured.  I wouldn't have minded keeping him around, although we did have a glut on defense.  But I'd rather have him out there than Smith or Quincey.

EDIT: That being said, I understand why he was bought out.  He's so injury prone it probably didn't make sense to gamble on him again.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#5 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

Never understood the hostility towards him.  He looked great for us while healthy.  It's not his fault he got injured.  I wouldn't have minded keeping him around, although we did have a glut on defense.  But I'd rather have him out there than Smith or Quincey.

EDIT: That being said, I understand why he was bought out.  He's so injury prone it probably didn't make sense to gamble on him again.

I agree with you points, but I think it had more to do with Holland wanting to get bigger on the back end.  Right now our smallest d-man is Kronwall, and I think they probably like it that way.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#6 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

He may be the most injury-prone player in NHL history. But I do like him, as a player and a person, and I do think the buyout was kinda bull.

I get the sense that Ian White is kinda hard to work with. Which would be one thing if he were really good, but he's not. #5's departure exposed him, IMHO.

I don't see the Blues winning the Cup this season, but sometimes I catch myself half-wishing Hitchcock was the guy behind our bench.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#7 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

Always liked him, thought he was great in the playoffs. Just got caught up in a numbers game, hate the s*** out of the Blues and hope they miss the playoffs, but all the best to Carlo personally.

#NOMOREKINDL

#8 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

If he plays over 40 games ill be impressed - thats why we bought him out.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#9 ClearlyCleary

ClearlyCleary

Draftee

• 9 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

What was the $$ on the contract?

#10 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

Made absolutely no sense to use a buyout on him, especially with the shortage on D, and the glut at forward.  Could have used it to buyout Tootoo, who we're stuck with for two more years. 

#11 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

Good luck to Cola on being back with the Blues!

#12 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,442 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

Made absolutely no sense to use a buyout on him, especially with the shortage on D, and the glut at forward.  Could have used it to buyout Tootoo, who we're stuck with for two more years. 

At the time Holland figured he could trade toots, and buying out Colo made sense, no trade value because of his injuries

#13 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:52 PM

We could use some of his skills badly. Good Luck and all the best with your old club Cola !

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#14 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

His agent should try to negotiate a contract for him doing commercials for a walk-in medical clinic in the Greater St. Louis area.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#15 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

guaranteed Cola scores next time we play against the Blues

#16 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

At the time Holland figured he could trade toots, and buying out Colo made sense, no trade value because of his injuries

Since no one wanted Tootoo for free, I guess his trade value isn't exactly all that good either.  We didn't need to trade Colo, he was more valuable to keep given the amount of injuries that inevitably happen on defense.  He didn't have a huge cap hit and he would have been off the books after this season. 

#17 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,921 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:01 AM

I didn't get the buyout either.  I guess they figured that Smith would be ready and able.

All the best Carlo.  As they say in the theatre, "Break a leg".

#18 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,442 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

Since no one wanted Tootoo for free, I guess his trade value isn't exactly all that good either.  We didn't need to trade Colo, he was more valuable to keep given the amount of injuries that inevitably happen on defense.  He didn't have a huge cap hit and he would have been off the books after this season. 

I didn't like the buyout either, but it seems the only plausible thinking, we all thought several teams were interested in tootoo, unfortunately no one actually wanted him I guess. That's life

#19 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

http://www.downgoesb...lebrations.html

Do: Occasionally react to an especially big goal by skating over to the boards and slamming your body into the end glass.
Do not: Attempt this move unless you're sure that you're leaping into actual glass and not just something that's convincingly glass-like, such as Carlo Colaiacovo.

Don't Toews me, bro!