• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

I just read on Freep (http://www.freep.com...D=2013311120161) that babs is finally happy about his 2nd line...Just wondering everyone's thoughts of Helmer on line 2 with Mule & Alfie?
-From what I saw of them last night I liked Helms speed-as always, I loved Franzens edge he had-really used his size and strength (tho not always wisely). Alfie appeared slow and butterfingery until his shoot out goal to me but I feel he could easily find a role with these two...

Edited by 13dangledangle, 13 November 2013 - 04:47 PM.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#2 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

I thought Franzen looked pretty good.  Nice to see him show some emotion and look engaged in the game.  Point is he was very noticeable when on the ice.  He wasn't just floating around like he's known to do at times.

Helm's improving but kind of a square block in a round hole in that position.  Even in that article Babcock stresses Helm is not a second line center. I think we all know that though.

Alfie has never been an issue and has easily been our 3rd best forward this year. 

We NEED Weiss performing in that second line center position.  It will be a huge factor in our success.  I believe he's as much an X factor as Franzen is for this team.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#3 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

The case can be made that Tatar deserves top-six minutes.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#4 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,025 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

Franzen mishandled a few pucks, but having missed so much time that was expected. When he figures that out, if he can continue to be engaged in the game while playing the wing, we'll be better for it. But we all know that's not how the Mule has operated the last few years, to break out of this mini slump we're on he has to put pucks in the back of the net. Overall, the line was pretty good last night. Helms just getting back to speed too, and I love what Alfie brings.

#NOMOREKINDL

#5 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

It looks good on paper. Last night they were pretty good that line. That line though won't last unless they start scoring obviously. However I can see why Babs likes it. Let's hope they can start scoring. "Consistently."

#6 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

The article Dabura posted says it all. Tatar makes this team and everyone he plays with better. He needs more ice time to continue to develop and gain experience/confidence.

Id much rather his speed and ability to make things happen be on the 2nd line than franzen (who i believes career is over).

When Weiss is back id like to see lines 2 and 3 look something like:

Tatar-Weiss-Alfie
Mule-Helm-Abby

#7 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

When Weiss returns slot him into the 3rd line between nyquist and Tatar until AllStar break to get the system down. Could prove to be a great third line during that period, then we have three pretty good lines for a change.

#8 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

The case can be made that Tatar deserves top-six minutes.

I don't put much faith in corsi numbers when it's such a small sample size and doesn't even factor in things like zone starts.  I think they're number picking here to help their position.

If you're going to use advanced stats than you better be prepared to factor in everything and have a decent sample size.

I love Tatar but he has to get better without the puck.  There's a reason he rarely is on the ice for face-offs in our own end.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#9 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

it doesnt take statistics to see that tatar makes everybody else on his line better 

#10 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

it doesnt take statistics to see that tatar makes everybody else on his line better 

It's easy to notice offensive flash as opposed to defensive zone coverage and picking up your man through the neutral zone.

Vince Lombardi

#11 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

Yeah the line looked good but it won't score much. Helm while a good defensive player won't create enough and Franzen is streaky. Tatar though should move to the 2nd line when Weiss gets back.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#12 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

I think we all love Darren Helm, but second line center is not suited for his game. Weiss needs to get healthy soon and hopefully start putting up numbers offensively. I thought Franzen's effort was good against Winnipeg, though two goals in one game this season speaks for itself. Alfredsson just needs to bury some scoring chances; otherwise he has been very strong.  

The Red Wings turning from a mediocre team into one that could be far better hinges on secondary scoring. If Weiss and Franzen in particular get going, then it takes away from 13 and 40 carrying the load entirely. If not, we are looking at another season of goals being hard to come by because the bottom-six and defense especially probably aren't going to chip in very many. 

The sooner Nyquist comes up too, the better this situation will get resolved. He's not a cure-all, but his skill set would dramatically improve the offense. If Babs wants to shelter him still, put him on the third line with Helm and Tatar. Three rookies made up the third line in the playoffs and they more than held their own. Now, Helm is an upgrade over Andersson and Tatar could match Brunner with someone like Gus setting him up. 

Edited by GoWings1905, 13 November 2013 - 08:26 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#13 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

Z dats bert
Mule weiss alfie
Tats helm nyq
Abby andy miller

Is as good as we'll see upfront this season i think. Damn good lookin ifya ask me.
Thats a bottom 6 that should really produce some points.
  • Nev likes this

#14 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

Z dats bert
Mule weiss alfie
Tats helm nyq
Abby andy miller

Is as good as we'll see upfront this season i think. Damn good lookin ifya ask me.
Thats a bottom 6 that should really produce some points.

I like Bert but I'm still not convinced he belongs on the 1st line. I'd say switch Bert and Alfie and see how that goes. 

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#15 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:05 AM

Bert with Dats is always my favorite

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#16 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:48 AM

I've never been more excited for a line than I am for a Tatar-helm-nyq third line. :D

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#17 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:47 AM

Bertuzzi is like Holmstrom, he's really only good when playing on the top line.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#18 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:52 AM

Bertuzzi is like Holmstrom, he's really only good when playing on the top line.

Which doesn't matter because he's better than any other option we have right now up there. He does everything right for that line, and is way better option then Abby.

#19 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

Bertuzzi is effective up there. That may defy logic to some people solve he's "old and slow" but it is what it is. Our top line is set.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#20 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

Bertuzzi is effective up there. That may defy logic to some people solve he's "old and slow" but it is what it is. Our top line is set.

& I like it!  Bert is obviously passed his prime but he was a very, very highly skilled power forward with incredible hands.  He easily pulls moves no one but Dats can at the moment and sees the ice in a very creative way, it boggles me how people on here dislike his game so much.

Can someone explain the waiving thing to me, what I mean is can we waive cleary?  sammy?  eaves?  miller?  Simply if the brass want to ice the best team night in and night out the 11 for sure forwards imo should be...

Zetterberg, Dats, Bertuzzi, Franzen, Wiess, Alfie, Tatar, Nyquist, Abby, Helm & Andersson- This leaves one spot open to one of the above mentioned names (or Glendening but I dont think so;)  If you guys could keep one of MIller, Cleary, Sammy or Eaves who would it be?

Edited by 13dangledangle, 14 November 2013 - 10:07 AM.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.