• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

This leaves one spot open to one of the above mentioned names (or Glendening but I dont think so;)  If you guys could keep one of MIller, Cleary, Sammy or Eaves who would it be?

I'd have to pick Eaves. No good reason why, just like how the kid plays.

#22 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:37 AM

The article Dabura posted says it all. Tatar makes this team and everyone he plays with better. He needs more ice time to continue to develop and gain experience/confidence.

Id much rather his speed and ability to make things happen be on the 2nd line than franzen (who i believes career is over).

When Weiss is back id like to see lines 2 and 3 look something like:

Tatar-Weiss-Alfie
Mule-Helm-Abby

I think I'm down with Mule on the third line, but, holy jumpin', that is one very smallish, non-physical scoring line. (I believe Weiss is secretly 5'9 and 170-ish. He looks so small on the ice.) It'd be one thing if we had a sure-thing goal-scorer on it (Datsyuk or Zetterberg). But as it is - I mean, the way you have it...I'd worry about that line. I'd almost want to flip it with the third, so Mule - Helm - Abby becomes our second line.

Man. So much is riding on Weiss.

I'm very fond of my Franzen + Nyquist + Tatar + 1st for Giroux idea, but it looks like Giroux is getting good again, and Holland is emphatically promising NO MORE TRADES. FOREVER. So, yeah.

Tatar is pretty much awesome, but I think it's pretty official now that Babs is not his biggest fan in the world.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#23 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

I honestly think franzen plays better with helm because when helm is on the ice the game is so much faster and such up tempo that it forces him to move his feet and get engaged in the game.

#24 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

I honestly feel we should make Smith a forward.

Zetterberg  Datsyuk  Bertuzzi

Smith  Weiss  Alfredsson

Tatar  Helm  Franzen

Miller  Glendening  Abdelkader

Don't Toews me, bro!

#25 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

I thought the exact same thing about Ericsson before! I heard that he started as a forward but was moved back to D at some point in his career-I'm sure early on-but I have always thought about it...Smith would probably do really well up there, can't do worse.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#26 King Crane

King Crane

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

I'm just glad that Cleary is finally sitting out

MxU0Cq5.png

Edited by King Crane, 14 November 2013 - 12:18 PM.

"I'll smile in June" - Jimmy Howard 

#27 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

I thought the exact same thing about Ericsson before! I heard that he started as a forward but was moved back to D at some point in his career-I'm sure early on-but I have always thought about it...Smith would probably do really well up there, can't do worse.

You're right with Big Rig; he was drafted as a forward and became our defensive project. Smith normally excels at the offensive side of things. I think its Babcock that has strained him confidence/development wise. When he first came up he played his game a lot more. Nowadays he's stuck trying to analyze where he should be defensively within the structure and its made him start thinking about things. As a defensemen you shouldn't be thinking but rather doing. You need to trust your instincts and make the right move. The more you delay the messier things get.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#28 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

How long will be keep the line together is the question
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#29 jthiel86

jthiel86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

Tatar is scratched for tomorrow.  Cleary is back in....

#30 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

Bertuzzi is effective up there. That may defy logic to some people solve he's "old and slow" but it is what it is. Our top line is set.

In his case it's because he keeps the puck moving fast with his great passing or he's protecting it like a mama bear, which all mostly nullifies his lack of speed.
The guy has the incredible vision, instincts, and skills to line w 13 & 40 as opposed to Abby who just quite didn't have enough .

Plus he adds a major bit of gruff to that line: guys are still intimidated by the old bear.

No one has supported Babcock and Holland more than me, but its starting to piss me off.

#31 King Crane

King Crane

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

So not only is Tatar not playing...but Cleary is skating again...

michael-scott-no.gif

"I'll smile in June" - Jimmy Howard 

#32 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

I look at Helm the same way I look at Abby. Extremely useful when he can play his role. Abby is awful as a top-six forward. Helm cannot be a second-line center. Put these guys in their proper role. I know we don't want to, but we have to split Pav and Hank up until Weiss comes back. That second line may create a few chances but they won't finish. If Alfie isn't putting it in the net on that line, no one will be able to.

#33 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

Zetterberg  Datsyuk  Bertuzzi

Smith  Weiss  Alfredsson

Tatar  Helm  Franzen

Miller  Glendening  Abdelkader

Whoops, forgot about Andersson. And Nyquist.

Gonna have to give this some thought now.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#34 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:18 AM

Whoops, forgot about Andersson. And Nyquist.

Gonna have to give this some thought now.

Lose Miller & Glendening and you're good!

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#35 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

if only we could get nyquist up and make the lines for babs then this team would be successful.

Z-dats- Bert
Nyquist- Weiss- alfy
Tatar- helm- mule
Abdelkader- Anderson- miller

I dunno about you guys but I think that's a pretty good looking forward group. If someone struggles on 2nd line there's always the option of moving up Tatar and the mule.

#36 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

The key to the second line is Weiss. We can swap wingers (and have) but it will never succeed until he starts producing more.

It may be time to split Datsyuk and Zetterberg up.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Zetterberg-Weiss-Alfredsson

It might work.

And Dabura, why slot Smith on the second line? I agree he might be more useful as a forward, but as a fourth liner.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#37 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

The key to the second line is Weiss. We can swap wingers (and have) but it will never succeed until he starts producing more.

It may be time to split Datsyuk and Zetterberg up.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Zetterberg-Weiss-Alfredsson

It might work.

And Dabura, why slot Smith on the second line? I agree he might be more useful as a forward, but as a fourth liner.

No I can't go another season of watching pav play with both Bert and mule. Yes Weiss is key to the second line and he does need to start producing but I think he would with a hungry nyquist and alfy. If not we would have two other wingers in Tatar and mule to insert in with Weiss. Weiss was starting to look very good before the injury don't be surprised if he starts heating up when he gets back