Photo
- - - - -

Overtime modifications on table at GMs meeting.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

Holy convoluted and unnecessary, Batman!

Howzabout this.

No points are awarded for a tie at the end of regulation. Instead, we go to an OT PP dealy.

Round 1

A two-minute 5-on-4 for each side. A PP goal would mean the end of the PP, just like in regulation. If one team scores on its PP and the other team doesn't score on its opportunity, that's two points for the former and zero for the latter, game over - unless the team that didn't score on its PP opportunity scores a shorthanded goal. (Shorthanded goals have the same value as PP goals, except they don't end the other team's PP, just like in regulation.)  If both teams finish even, we go to a second round.

Round 2

Now it's a 5-on-3 for each side. Again, winner gets two points, loser gets zero. A tie would be the final result, with one point awarded to each team.

All goals would contribute to the final score. So, a game that's 3-3 after three periods could end up at 5-5, or as high as 7-7 (each side scores a PP goal and a shorthanded goal in Round 1 and Round 2).

I have to figure out what to do about penalties.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#22 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:29 PM

5 minutes of 4 on 4 overtime. If it's still tied, the game is a draw. If you want both points, earn them and earn them in the allotted time.

10 minutes of OT seems a bit much. Not that I would complain, but to the more casual fan.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#23 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,848 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

Go back to the pre-1999 system.  I have no problem with ties, if neither team deserves to win.  

Also, 3 on 3 is not real hockey.  You hardly ever see that, let alone to reward teams extra points for winning such a spectacle.    

10 minute 4-on-4 would be ideal, but I guess 3-on-3 could be interesting. As long as they extend OT I'm for it, shootouts are simply not a fun way to end a good hockey game.

Interesting, but not legitimate or realistic.  How often do you see a 3 on 3?  

Edited by GMRwings1983, 14 November 2013 - 10:02 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#24 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:23 AM

Get rid of the shootout altogether, no point for losing in overtime, problem solved. Not sure why they refuse to go that route. Teams will play to win if they don't get anything. There's no reason to treat a loss in overtime as a half win

While I agree that the shootout should go away and the 1 pt for a loss is just plain stupid I dont think the elimination of them will make teams play to win. It will back back to pre shootout days where teams played "not to lose" (especially in inter-conference games) as most teams are more afraid to make a mistake and give the other team an extra point than to go for the extra point themselves. The best thing that needs to happen is a win should be worth 3 points not 2. That will put more emphasis on winning in regulation. 

#25 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

I confess I really like 4on4 OT, and because both teams are certain of a point, it means they both go for it.  It leads to fast-paced, open hockey with chances at both ends, so I'm all for extending it to 10 mins.  3on3 I'm not so keen on, seems even more gimmicky than the shoot-out.

Failing that, no OT, both teams get a point.  I don't understand the North American obsession with the idea that sporting contests must end with one side winning, and one side losing.  But then again, I follow cricket, a game that can last 5 days and still end in a draw :lol:

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#26 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

Why can't we just go back to ties? I hate OT in regular season hockey.

"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#27 CMatt89

CMatt89

The REAL great one...

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

Ken Holland must be sick of losing in shootouts, now he has to change the rules so he can win with the likes of Dan Cleary and Mikeal Samuelsson and Kyle Quincey in the lineup every night. 

#28 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

Why can't we just go back to ties? I hate OT in regular season hockey.

Don't hear that very often.  That's definitely a minority view.  I HATE going to see a game, getting all pumped up, only to have it end in a tie. Losing sucks too but a tie just leaves a bitter aftertaste.

Well I guess we're equal boys, let's all go home and sing Kumbaya together.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#29 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

Don't hear that very often.  That's definitely a minority view.  I HATE going to see a game, getting all pumped up, only to have it end in a tie. Losing sucks too but a tie just leaves a bitter aftertaste.

Well I guess we're equal boys, let's all go home and sing Kumbaya together.

I'm saying that if a game ends a tie, both sides were evenly matched and should also get one point a side for a tie, after a well played even match. None of this three point game bulls*** either.

"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#30 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

I'm saying that if a game ends a tie, both sides were evenly matched and should also get one point a side for a tie, after a well played even match. None of this three point game bulls*** either.

That's fair.  I just like there being a definitive winner/loser every game.  I'm with ya on getting rid of the "loser point".

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#31 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,848 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

That's fair.  I just like there being a definitive winner/loser every game.  I'm with ya on getting rid of the "loser point".

What if neither team deserves to win and the game is even?

Why force someone to get two points by creating gimmicks?  Doesn't seem like a deserving extra point if you ask me.   

#32 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

your mom goes to college

• PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:18 AM

There isn't anything more un-american than a tie. If you think a tie is an acceptable outcome to a competition, maybe you should watch soccer. Or tic-tac-toe. Personally, I like the shootout. At least that way, at the end of overtime, I know that I won't go home with blue balls.

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,848 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:41 AM

There isn't anything more un-american than a tie. If you think a tie is an acceptable outcome to a competition, maybe you should watch soccer. Or tic-tac-toe. Personally, I like the shootout. At least that way, at the end of overtime, I know that I won't go home with blue balls.

LOL.  Un-american?  That sounds like good old boy crap, which belongs in NASCAR.  

A tie is an acceptable outcome when neither side deserves to win.  Which American sports fan likes or doesn't like hockey based on shootouts?  I've never met one.    

Hell, I suppose boxing is un-American too?

#34 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

your mom goes to college

• PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:16 AM

LOL.  Un-american?  That sounds like good old boy crap, which belongs in NASCAR.  

A tie is an acceptable outcome when neither side deserves to win.  Which American sports fan likes or doesn't like hockey based on shootouts?  I've never met one.    

Hell, I suppose boxing is un-American too?

You just met one. I like or dislike sporting events based on whether there is a winner and loser, or just a gentlemanly handshake at the end. The commissioner and the majority of general managers and owners of my sporting league of my choice agree with me.

#35 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

I wonder what the NHLPA's view on this topic is?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#36 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,848 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

You just met one. I like or dislike sporting events based on whether there is a winner and loser, or just a gentlemanly handshake at the end. The commissioner and the majority of general managers and owners of my sporting league of my choice agree with me.

Not sure if having those people on your side is a good thing.  Those are the same geniuses that have put the league into 3 lockouts in the last twenty years.  

Besides, are you telling me you'd stop watching hockey if they went back to ties?  Does that mean you've only been a hockey fan since 2006?

Edited by GMRwings1983, 16 November 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#37 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,022 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

A tie was an acceptable outcome for the first 20+ years I watched hockey.  In Detroit.  In America.  And is how the game has been played for decades before that.

One could just as easily argue that the NHL got rid of ties to appeal to fans who lack a deep understanding of the game, where the need for a winner is more important than having that winner actually decided by playing hockey.  Ones who are ok with teams being awarded a point for losing.

The shootout also cemented the need for the loser point, which inflates standings and artificially forces parity.  As a result you have an artificially constructed event to determine the outcome of the game that also artificially influences the standings.

So I see your jingoistic tripe and raise you the integrity of the game.

#38 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:51 PM

I wonder what the points would be like in previous years if we had 2 pts for win, 1 pt for both teams when tied after 5 mins of OT ...   

I don't really want to see another 10 mins of hockey of OT, it is long enough on most nights.  Shootouts are getting old real fast.  

Just saying, we're leading the league in OT losses at 7 now ... and counting.  

Edited by RedWingsRox, 17 November 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#39 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

if they don't want to change the OT length, i'd be happy enough just making shootout losses the only way to get one point. nothing for OT losses.. there are far too many 3 point games.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#40 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

Win = 3 pts

Reg Loss = 0 pts

OT win = 2 pts

OT loss = 0 pt

SO win = 1 pts

SO loss = 0 pts

Winning gets you points. And if you lose YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY SIR!

Edited by Wings_Dynasty, 17 November 2013 - 06:10 PM.

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg