• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#41 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

All the comments I saw on Tootoo's waiver was that no teams would be willing to pick up 2 years at $1.9m each.

And for good reason. Pretty sure that's why he wasn't picked up. 

So Patty makes what around $1.2m? A little better if the case...

#42 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,247 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

Good thing is Sammy and Cleary WILL NOT be re-signed this summer (along with Bert and Q) and Franzen can be bought out...Eaves is a UFA but I really think next season we will see Nyquist, Ferraro (who is out of options) and Sheahan, with the occasional look at a few other youngsters (including Mantha hopefully!)

Sorry to see you waived Patrick, Good luck!

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

#43 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

A team should pick up Eaves.  The guy has shown flashes of scoring ability, he's young, and he's a hard worker and good PKer.  And he's cheap.  His injuries and sharing a squad with Miller is what did him in.  Not sure if any team is missing a player like him, but he'd definitely help pretty much any bottom dweller team that needs support.

EDIT: So wait...if Eaves is waived, and Tootoo can now be sent down with negative consequence, that's two spots cleared.  Does this make room for Nyquist if Tootoo gets sent down?

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#44 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

A team should pick up Eaves.  The guy has shown flashes of scoring ability, he's young, and he's a hard worker and good PKer.  And he's cheap.  His injuries and sharing a squad with Miller is what did him in.  Not sure if any team is missing a player like him, but he'd definitely help pretty much any bottom dweller team that needs support.

EDIT: So wait...if Eaves is waived, and Tootoo can now be sent down with negative consequence, that's two spots cleared.  Does this make room for Nyquist if Tootoo gets sent down?

No.
We needed room for e tomorrow and smith shortly after.
We could bring him and and send glendenning down to be at the roster limit, but wed be over the cap.

#45 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

All the comments I saw on Tootoo's waiver was that no teams would be willing to pick up 2 years at $1.9m each.

It was such overpayment for Tootoo.  I have no idea why Holland would give him 3 years at that price. 

#46 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

Good thing is Sammy and Cleary WILL NOT be re-signed this summer (along with Bert and Q) and Franzen can be bought out...Eaves is a UFA but I really think next season we will see Nyquist, Ferraro (who is out of options) and Sheahan, with the occasional look at a few other youngsters (including Mantha hopefully!)

You honestly believe that Cleary will NOT be re-signed? I hope you are correct, but I have a bad feeling you are wrong.

I really liked Eaves... injuries really took away his opportunities over the past couple years to earn a solid spot.  This move pretty much solidifies the idea that Glendening will move from C to RW.

#47 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

Its really disappointing because Eaves is a much more effective bottom 6 player than Cleary and Sammy. He is getting waived for Holland's idiocy. 

Or Miller and even Andersson. I'd take Eaves over all 4.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#48 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

The only one not being resigned on your list will be Sammy. Cleary will get a contract that will see him retire as a Wing. Bert as well. 

#49 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,660 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

One more question:  Do they say anything before the deadline if any team(s) put in a claim for him, or do they just announce the winner at the end?

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#50 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

I forgot we were making room for Smith. I just sort of blocked him out of my memory already.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#51 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

ken holland can't even tell a guy when he's waiving him?

get this piece of s*** GM out of here.

#52 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

What the hell is the point of having a capologist if we can't even avoid situations like this??  A preteen on capgeek could have seen this coming a mile away.

Thankfully we gave Ryan Martin even more responsibility since Nill left.  :glare:

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#53 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

What the hell is the point of having a capologist if we can't even avoid situations like this??  A preteen on capgeek could have seen this coming a mile away.

Thankfully we gave Ryan Martin even more responsibility since Nill left.  :glare:

I wouldn't go to town on Martin really. Holland was the one signing the contracts and most likely went to Martin and said, "Can you make it work?" I imagine capologist have the role of fixing problems that others have made or try and prevent them from happening. I guess I just want to say that Martins probably the guy there to find loopholes for Holland. He's not the one putting us in horrible positions.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#54 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

Don't see what this has to do with Martin. Holland's the one inking bad deals with veteran players.

#55 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

Martin is primarily responsible for collective bargaining agreement (CBA) administration and compliance, salary cap management, player contract research and analysis, and salary arbitration preparation. He is also involved extensively in all facets of player contract negotiations, strategic planning and player evaluations at both the professional and amateur levels.

That is straight from his profile.  It's well known the Red Wings front office is run by committee as opposed to just Holland.  There's more than enough blame to go around.

Edited by Son of a Wing, 14 November 2013 - 03:35 PM.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#56 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

ken holland can't even tell a guy when he's waiving him?

get this piece of sh*t GM out of here.

Seriously this. Such a crappy thing to do to a guy who doesn't even deserve to be waived in the first place. Maybe he's just embarassed because he realizes this is all his own stupid fault. This is becoming beyond frustrating.

#57 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

Seriously this. Such a crappy thing to do to a guy who doesn't even deserve to be waived in the first place. Maybe he's just embarassed because he realizes this is all his own stupid fault. This is becoming beyond frustrating.

If it is true it makes you wonder what the hell is going on with management now.  This situation is stupid enough but to have a guy find out form the media that he's going on waivers?

It's like the wheels are coming off.

#58 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,660 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

He got waived after practice.  Maybe he didn't have his phone with him to get the message until after he showered. 

Still... you'd think if Holland couldn't be there personally, he'd have made sure that someone caught him before the press did.

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#59 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

I'm totally bummed.  I love the guy's courage and his willingness to work.  I hope he clears and can go to GR.  That would mean I'd get to see him next week. 

So why the hell can't we kick Cleary's sorry ass to the curb?  He should have NEVER changed his mind, and gone to Philly instead.  He wouldn't be missed, believe me.

Posted Image

#60 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

Ken Holland:

slap_shot4_display_image.gif?1270598498