• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukToZetterberg

Cleary in, Tatar out against Caps

Rate this topic

Cleary is a great guy. There's no doubt about that. But Babcock can't be seeing anything we're not. He's so consistently bad and useless, and provides nothing we need now. Save his "grit" and heart for the playoffs. Right now we need to ice the best team so we make playoffs.

You make a good point, but I think this analogy is probably more apt:

You can't understand why your friend dates the ugly fat chick. You get to know her and you find out that her personality is also polar to your friend', and is even occasionally abusive. She is extremely high maintenance and she is constantly guilting him into staying with her, despite the stress she brings to his life. You confront your friend and he makes some excuses, but you read between the lines and conclude that she is really awesome at sex; the best he has ever had. While she can never give your friend true happiness, he is content with putting up with the abuse so long as his member is getting serviced at professional levels.

MEANWHILE: A young attractive, nice, but naive woman comes along. Your friend and her hit if off. But she was a virgin when they met and he becomes frustrated with teachering her. Despite being a better personality match, he continues to stay with the first girl despite the long term benefits of giving this new girl attention.

----------------

I hope this story comes off as funny not mean, 55fan. I really think you're point is valid. I think Babcock should be more open about his reasonings. There is no way he doesn't hear the outcry from fans; Cleary bashing has been going on for so long. If he can present a argument that does not involve his veteran status or statistics, I would listen.

But which girl's dad owns the brewery? That's the important thing.

Back last summer, I don't recall Babcock publicly saying anything about Cleary, but the players said they wanted him back. After he was signed, Babcock talked a lot about his "leadership", which is different from just being a veteran.

IIRC, he was the one in charge of locker room music at one point, but then that fell to one of the younger guys. Maybe Cleary picked better tunes.

There's got to be something there. I think we all respect that he plays with heart and played injured, and that's important to acknowledge the past. As for the present and future, it doesn't get you very far unless it's coupled with production and performance.

I like Cleary, but I don't think that he's the best thing for the team at this point. If we had no one coming up, he'd be an asset. As it is, we're waiving some people and holding back others.

From a realistic standpoint, Tatar wont get his full season in til quite possibly next season. Thus, paving the way for Nyquist to not get his full season until the 2016-17 season (scary). We should trade all of our draft picks and prospects. They're like pennies. Collect them forever, until that day you're absolutely broke but still don't want to crack open that stupid coke bottle coin catcher that collects as much dust as it does pennies in the basement even if coinstar charges 10% to ever dollar. 9 dollars to every 10 is still better than the old ass Canadian quarter that is never accepted at the register.

Nyquist to not get his full season until the 2016-17 season

Please no :no:

I can already see it: "Why are we playing Nyquist? He's so old and slow. Why doesn't he just retire and let some of the young Grand Rapids guys play"

More likely: "Woah! When did we get Nyquist back?! I thought he playing for X team because he wasn't getting enough playing time here."

That third line (Cleary - Andersson - Sammy) makes me want to puke. Did the Jason Allison era Leafs teach the hockey world nothing? Big and old and slow doesn't win in the cap era. Young and speedy and skilled does.

Pretty soon I'm going to be consciously, actively hoping this team plummets to the bottom of the standings. And that's terrible.

That third line (Cleary - Andersson - Sammy) makes me want to puke. Did the Jason Allison era Leafs teach the hockey world nothing? Big and old and slow doesn't win in the cap era. Young and speedy and skilled does.

Pretty soon I'm going to be consciously, actively hoping this team plummets to the bottom of the standings. And that's terrible.

Like who the Oilers?? lol Ok I'm trolling. But you see my point. Which successful team fits that criteria? It's more about having the right mix.

Remeber when rooting for the Wings was a blast? Lately it feels like masochism. Which can, I guess, be a blast...but you know what I'm saying.

CLEARY ME HARDER, BABY

OHHH YEAH, RIGHT IN THE QUINCEY

I see she enjoys a good Smithing.

To your actual point, those days are feeling longer and longer ago the more times I'm forced to watch this end-to-end embarrassment.

Edited by DatsyukToZetterberg

Like who the Oilers?? lol Ok I'm trolling. But you see my point. Which successful team fits that criteria? It's more about having the right mix.

Gah, as I was typing that, I said to myself, "Oh man, y'know who's gonna have a problem with this? Son of a Wing. That son of a...Wing."

No, but you're right - it's always about having just the right mix. Still, if you look at, say, the Blackhawks and Penguins, how do they hurt? Generally, with great speed, skill, puck-possession, lots of young talent. Or even the Kings. I know - they're big and physical and grinding, but they're also really fast, and pretty young...and skilled....

The main point is, what we seem to be going for is doomed to fail. And it boggles my mind that Mike Babcock - of all people - seems to be getting off on it.

Here's to hoping Tatar and Nyquist are up for good next season

I was hoping no one would say these words. Because we said these same words last season, and even as recently as this past summer. And some of us even managed to convince ourselves that it was absolutely, positively going to happen. Because, how could it not?

Gah, as I was typing that, I said to myself, "Oh man, y'know who's gonna have a problem with this? Son of a Wing. That son of a...Wing."

No, but you're right - it's always about having just the right mix. Still, if you look at, say, the Blackhawks and Penguins, how do they hurt? Generally, with great speed, skill, puck-possession, lots of young talent. Or even the Kings. I know - they're big and physical and grinding, but they're also really fast, and pretty young...and skilled....

The main point is, what we seem to be going for is doomed to fail. And it boggles my mind that Mike Babcock - of all people - seems to be getting off on it.

Haha I know what you meant, you've expressed it before and I agree. I just like to give you a hard time. ;)

Those teams have had the luxury of having high draft picks..seems to be the only way to get a solid core group of players is to tank for 5 years.

Those teams have had the luxury of having high draft picks..seems to be the only way to get a solid core group of players is to tank for 5 years.

They definitely have had that luxury, a luxury which does seem like almost a prerequisite to greatness these days. But, even so, I think those GMs and their teams have been pretty smart about shaping their respective rosters, identities, etc. Picking 1-5 in the draft gives you a phenomenal player, yes, but you still have to build around him and such. Team Holland has, I feel, not done an especially great job of building around our two franchise players, Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

I'm starting to turn on Babcock. Holland obviously made bad moves but I'm beginning to see a pattern. Our decline seems to have an inverse relationship with Babcock's growing influence on shaping the franchise. Both are at fault, but this is Babcock's baby. hmHis first few years were led by Lidstrom and Yzerman. Since then, we keep trying to implement some system that none of our players can play, and he continuously rewards the wrong guys.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/11/13/5099686/evaluating-tomas-tatar

This article analyzes Tatar's Corsi rating and the ratings of of players he skates with. Bottom line, this does not make any sense. Is there really not a single player who is more deserving of time I'm the press box? I'm not usually one to speculate, but I'm really beginning to think Babs dislikes Tatar.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/11/13/5099686/evaluating-tomas-tatar

This article analyzes Tatar's Corsi rating and the ratings of of players he skates with. Bottom line, this does not make any sense. Is there really not a single player who is more deserving of time I'm the press box? I'm not usually one to speculate, but I'm really beginning to think Babs dislikes Tatar.

Thanks for posting this.