110 replies to this topic

#41 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,075 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

Here's to hoping Tatar and Nyquist are up for good next season

I was hoping no one would say these words. Because we said these same words last season, and even as recently as this past summer. And some of us even managed to convince ourselves that it was absolutely, positively going to happen. Because, how could it not?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#42 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

Gah, as I was typing that, I said to myself, "Oh man, y'know who's gonna have a problem with this? Son of a Wing. That son of a...Wing."

No, but you're right - it's always about having just the right mix. Still, if you look at, say, the Blackhawks and Penguins, how do they hurt? Generally, with great speed, skill, puck-possession, lots of young talent. Or even the Kings. I know - they're big and physical and grinding, but they're also really fast, and pretty young...and skilled....

The main point is, what we seem to be going for is doomed to fail. And it boggles my mind that Mike Babcock - of all people - seems to be getting off on it.

Haha I know what you meant, you've expressed it before and I agree. I just like to give you a hard time.  ;)

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#43 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

Are we secretly tanking this season?I mean the amount of the questionable moves by Ken and Mike lately is really wtf like...

#44 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

Gah, as I was typing that, I said to myself, "Oh man, y'know who's gonna have a problem with this? Son of a Wing. That son of a...Wing."

No, but you're right - it's always about having just the right mix. Still, if you look at, say, the Blackhawks and Penguins, how do they hurt? Generally, with great speed, skill, puck-possession, lots of young talent. Or even the Kings. I know - they're big and physical and grinding, but they're also really fast, and pretty young...and skilled....

The main point is, what we seem to be going for is doomed to fail. And it boggles my mind that Mike Babcock - of all people - seems to be getting off on it.

Those teams have had the luxury of having high draft picks..seems to be the only way to get a solid core group of players is to tank for 5 years.

#45 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,075 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

Those teams have had the luxury of having high draft picks..seems to be the only way to get a solid core group of players is to tank for 5 years.

They definitely have had that luxury, a luxury which does seem like almost a prerequisite to greatness these days. But, even so, I think those GMs and their teams have been pretty smart about shaping their respective rosters, identities, etc. Picking 1-5 in the draft gives you a phenomenal player, yes, but you still have to build around him and such. Team Holland has, I feel, not done an especially great job of building around our two franchise players, Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#46 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,075 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hey, look at what Sean McIndoe is talking about.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#47 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

I'm starting to turn on Babcock. Holland obviously made bad moves but I'm beginning to see a pattern. Our decline seems to have an inverse relationship with Babcock's growing influence on shaping the franchise. Both are at fault, but this is Babcock's baby. hmHis first few years were led by Lidstrom and Yzerman. Since then, we keep trying to implement some system that none of our players can play, and he continuously rewards the wrong guys.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#48 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

http://www.wingingit...ing-tomas-tatar

This article analyzes Tatar's Corsi rating and the ratings of of players he skates with. Bottom line, this does not make any sense. Is there really not a single player who is more deserving of time I'm the press box? I'm not usually one to speculate, but I'm really beginning to think Babs dislikes Tatar.

#49 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

http://www.wingingit...ing-tomas-tatar

This article analyzes Tatar's Corsi rating and the ratings of of players he skates with. Bottom line, this does not make any sense. Is there really not a single player who is more deserving of time I'm the press box? I'm not usually one to speculate, but I'm really beginning to think Babs dislikes Tatar.

Thanks for posting this.

02_notcomplicated_Kronwalled55_zpsc7d665

#50 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

Strange decision. Despite the OT-loss the team played pretty decent last game. Why change the Lineup then ?

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#51 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

Yup, lets let a great prospect rot on the bench and instead play an over the hill guy who has no future with the team.  Unbelievably ridiculous.

#52 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

I was hoping no one would say these words. Because we said these same words last season, and even as recently as this past summer. And some of us even managed to convince ourselves that it was absolutely, positively going to happen. Because, how could it not?

I thought the fact that Helm had to start in GR to start the 2008-2009 season was unbelievably ridiculous. 

It's only gotten worse from there.  Nothing seems to make sense anymore when it comes to prospects. 

#53 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

nvm 

Edited by Son of a Wing, 14 November 2013 - 07:58 PM.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#54 Bryguy

Bryguy

Zata

• PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

So babcock thought we played a great game against winnipeg, so he decides to scratch tatar for cleary? Makes sense....

#55 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

So babcock thought we played a great game against winnipeg, so he decides to scratch tatar for cleary? Makes sense....

The way Babcock sees it is we played a great game IN SPITE of the fact we were without the services of the incredulous Cleary.  We're bound to win if he's in the lineup. lol

Vince Lombardi

#56 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

Did you not hear/read him say "Im Dan Cleary's biggest fan"? That tells me a lot and i'm sure it says volumes to our young guys. I would not be surprised if Gus and Tatar asked to be traded.

Edited by Red Crazy, 14 November 2013 - 08:50 PM.

#57 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

"There's no one who's a bigger fan of Dan Cleary than Mike Babcock" - Mike Babcock

#58 Bryguy

Bryguy

Zata

• PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

So cleary has one fan atleast.

#59 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

I havent read any of this thread but, I giveup. I leave all my belongings to anyone but babs n kenny. Im so distraught by this move that lifes become too much to bare. Spread my ashes on the ice of the joe, where dan cleary will trip, fall, score a goal and remain in the lineup until we lose in the first round. RIP. RedWang.

#60 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:20 PM

Whether you liked him or not, I think Babs has decided that Tots is a Huder 2.0.

He's critical and a bit impatiet with the Tatar.....I am glad we have Tom Renney because you constantly Renney patting the young guys on the back, giving them praise.

PS- Hey Babs....Hudler playing top line minutes with the right line mates and has a 19 points on the season.....are you paying attention Babs???

Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!