• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#81 CMatt89

CMatt89

The REAL great one...

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

Why?  Its been one of his most successful tactics.  It got us Ferraro, Tatar and Nestrasil in 2009.  Jurco, Oullet and Sproul in 2011 in what may turn out to be our best draft since 1989.  And this summer, we still got Mantha after trading down, plus Nastasiuk and Nephtuzzi.

Just because Kenny re-signed Cleary and can't bring Nyquist up because he screwed the roster up so bad, doesn't mean that everything he does is wrong.

I understand where you're coming from, but prospects to the red wings are like old guys to other teams. They really mean nothing until they mean something. 

#82 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

But what we do with those extra prospects is a separate issue again.  The tactic of trading mid-late 1st round picks for extra 2nd round picks has proved successful - we have lots of quality young players because of it.

The tactic of burying those large numbers of quality young players in the minors is proving un-successful.

If we'd kept those mid-late first rounders and not traded down, those mid-late first rounders would still be stuck in the minors. 

But hey, at least its brought us a Calder Cup I guess....

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#83 hathorlive

hathorlive

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

The sad thing is that I have to go see the game tonight knowing that Cleary is in.  Why not hit me up with that info when I'm stuck in my seat at the Joe?

Going to games has become an obligation lately.  Especially since I can't remember the last time they won a game at home.

I don't know whose blame (Coach or GM) so I'll stick with blaming Quincey.

#84 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

But hey, at least its brought us a Calder Cup I guess....

At least I got one championship shirt last season.  I'm actually wearing it today too.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#85 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

BTW t-sauce  is in tonight.

#86 bogeygolfer

bogeygolfer

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

people are so quick to judge

#87 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

Quick to judge what? Personnel decisions? It's the same decisions they've always made expecting different results.  It's not like this is something new...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#88 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

Tatar back in, Glendening to Grand Rapids.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#89 hathorlive

hathorlive

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

I think when I shelled out $$$ for tickets and have to sit through loss after loss, I'm at least entitled to a little complaining.  I love the team but it's not exactly fun sitting at the Joe watching them lose in over time or regular time to teams like Dallas. 

And I think we're seeing a pretty significant pattern that's not exactly a snap judgement.

#90 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

"After being a healthy scratch last game, Daniel Cleary will return to the Wings lineup against the Washington Capitals Friday, replacing Tomas Tatar.

When I looked at our lineup (Tuesday) I thought that was a spot I felt we could have been better so he gets an opportunity to watch, Wings coach Mike Babcock said. Hell get back in."

That was from George Malik

You're right. I have no idea how anyone could ever interpret that to mean that Babcock was planning to sit tatar.

Edited by The Greek, 15 November 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#91 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

"After being a healthy scratch last game, Daniel Cleary will return to the Wings lineup against the Washington Capitals Friday, replacing Tomas Tatar.

When I looked at our lineup (Tuesday) I thought that was a spot I felt we could have been better so he gets an opportunity to watch, Wings coach Mike Babcock said. Hell get back in."

That was from George Malik

You're right. I have no idea how anyone could ever interpret that to mean that Babcock was planning to sit tatar.

So Babcock wants Tatar to be more like Cleary.  Oh God.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#92 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

It's getting tougher by the day to defend Babcock. He did wonders last season with the makeshift roster Holland put together, but this team is better and he's completely misusing his players.

Edited by GoWings1905, 15 November 2013 - 05:05 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#93 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

I give up.

EDIT:  You might want to look at this:

Tatar: 11 GP, 2 G, 1 A +1, 10% shooting accuracy, generates scoring chances and provides speed.
Cleary: 18 GP, 1 G, 2 A +1, 4% shooting accuracy, slow, falls down, loses the puck, never generates anything, usually breaks up his own offensive play.

Which do you think addresses our needs more? Regardless of whether Tatar hasn't looked great, benching isn't going to help.  We need to just ice a consistent team so they can generate chemistry.  All players go through rough patches.  Tatar's sub-par handful of games is better than Cleary's two years.

Cleary's average time on ice is higher too and he's had more top 6 time. Just to hammer the point home. Tatar is much more the player we need. Cleary's time has passed.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#94 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

I heard today that Tatar will actually be in tonight in Glendenning's place. So, good news for sure.

#95 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

Tatar is making the most of his opportunity tonight...

#96 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,355 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

Edit GODDAMN WRONG THREAD

So...glad Tots is in for Cleary lol

Edited by BottleOfSmoke, 15 November 2013 - 09:08 PM.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#97 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

Tatar played great tonight. Babs needs to F off with benching him.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#98 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

Cleary isn't the hugest issue on the team right now but I still have daydreams about someone Nancy Kerrigan-ing him to LTIR.  Yeah I'm a bad person, I know, but I can't stand to see that stupid #71 falling down all the time. 

#99 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

Tatar apparently only played because Alfredsson was injured. And I bet he'll sit one of the next few games, too. Enough rotating of players. Cleary hurts the team, and Sammy has been fairly neutral. Not good, and not helpful, but he's not hurting. We've played enough to start rolling with a consistent roster.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#100 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

Tatar apparently only played because Alfredsson was injured. And I bet he'll sit one of the next few games, too. Enough rotating of players. Cleary hurts the team, and Sammy has been fairly neutral. Not good, and not helpful, but he's not hurting. We've played enough to start rolling with a consistent roster.

Tatar was put in the lineup when they sent Glendening down yesterday afternoon.  Scratching Alfredsson left them with only 11 forwards for the game.  I did hear Mick say Tatar was in for Alfredsson, but that was incorrect.