• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Wing

Versteeg traded to Chicago

Rate this topic

Caphit was 4.4m and is now 2.2m with two years remaining past this season. That's a lot of money for Florida to pay to make a guy go away.

Hate so say it, but I like that deal a lot for the Blackhawks. If Versteeg can be a good player again, they just got a top 6 forward for 2,2 million caphit if not, low risk and they can add him to the third line.

So when you guys say Florida will pay half of Versteegs salary (In terms of real dollars), that doesnt mean the Hawks only get half his cap hit too right?

That would be a nutty rule no matter what teams are involved.

So when you guys say Florida will pay half of Versteegs salary (In terms of real dollars), that doesnt mean the Hawks only get half his cap hit too right?

If it'd benefit the 'hawks, that's probably how it is.

Amazing. How do other teams get these steals? I get the impression nobody will trade with us, otherwise why do we keep missing out on things like this? If we don't get anyone from a team like Florida or Buffalo, who are pretty desperate, I'll be disappointed.

Heard the plan is to play him on the third line. Chicago adds some good depth/a familiar face (to coaches & players) for a reasonable price. good deal for them imo.

I'm pretty sure it's half the cap hit as well.. can't look for a source right now but I'll check later if no one finds one by then.

Yep, per the new cba teams can retain up to half the cap hit in a trade

Amazing. How do other teams get these steals? I get the impression nobody will trade with us, otherwise why do we keep missing out on things like this? If we don't get anyone from a team like Florida or Buffalo, who are pretty desperate, I'll be disappointed.

I wouldn't be surprised if no one wants to make a (fair) trade with us. That's probably what comes with being generally regarded as THE BEST GM EVAR for 10+ years. I mean, think about it - how many GMs have probably had their fans screaming, "Why can't you be like Ken Holland?! It works for the Red Wings, so why not us?!" for God-knows-how-long? Maybe now they get to stick it to Mr. BEST GM EVAR and his oh-so-special Red Wings?

Or maybe Holland is just lazy and complacent. Not that I could necessarily blame him...

"Sooo, I can A) Do a lot of hard work and make several million dollars, or B) Not do a lot of hard work...and make several million dollars. Hmmm...."

DId you guys think that maybe just maybe Holland can't participate in these deals because WE DON'T HAVE CAP ROOM. We are over the cap when everyone is healthy, we are trying to shed salary not add salary. And no, no one wants Tootoo so don't add him to a hypothetical deal. He's cleared waivers, he has negative value. And Sammy isn't going anywhere given his NTC.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

chicago working to make a cup winning team better

holland sitting on his thumbs after re-signing useless vets and burying nhl-ready players in the minors

quite the contrast

Yep, per the new cba teams can retain up to half the cap hit in a trade

If thats the case it blows my mind that the wings werent able to trade away one of our players with only 1 year remaining on their contact, eat half the cap hit, but still open up room for other guys.

Because when we waive a player, we eat more than 50% of their hit right?

I just have a hard time believing we couldnt get a draft pick for tootoo/eaves, even if just a low one.

Florida is a blackhole for players and their careers.

I consider myself a bit of a Panthers fan. Been casually following them on-and-off for awhile now.

So I can say, with a bit of authority, that you...are absolutely correct.

Following the Panthers really makes you appreciate things like "winning culture," "team pride," "shouldering expectations" - things that we as Red Wings fans take for granted but which really do mean something.

No matter how good you are, if you're a Florida Panther...you'd probably be much better virtually anywhere else. (Imagine Zetterberg as fat and lazy.)

Credit where it's due, though: they've got a great young core to build around.

DId you guys think that maybe just maybe Holland can't participate in these deals because WE DON'T HAVE CAP ROOM. We are over the cap when everyone is healthy, we are trying to shed salary not add salary. And no, no one wants Tootoo so don't add him to a hypothetical deal. He's cleared waivers, he has negative value. And Sammy isn't going anywhere given his NTC.

He's the Genius, not me. So he should 1) not have put us in this situation in the first place (wait, who was it who signed Tootoo, Sammy, and Cleary? Oh yeah, Brian Burke! nvm), 2) have a slam-dunk, rabbit-out-of-the-hat, deus-ex-machina that makes us say, "Oh. My. God. He's been planning this since he was seventeen years old! LEGEND!!!!!"

He's the Genius, not me. So he should 1) not have put us in this situation in the first place (wait, who was it who signed Tootoo, Sammy, and Cleary? Oh yeah, Brian Burke! nvm), 2) have a slam-dunk, rabbit-out-of-the-hat, deus-ex-machina that makes us say, "Oh. My. God. He's been planning this since he was seventeen years old! LEGEND!!!!!"

I'm not saying he didn't screw up, but saying OMG why weren't we in on the Versteeg trade carries a fairly obvious answer. There is no rabbit to be pulled out of the hat.

I'm not saying he didn't screw up, but saying OMG why weren't we in on the Versteeg trade carries a fairly obvious answer. There is no rabbit to be pulled out of the hat.

Well, to be clear, I'm not using Versteeg as the measurement of Holland's current competence. I'm speaking generally. In general, Holland seems quite content to sit on his hands, and then, when he's questioned about it, say: "Sorry, can't do anything about it. Got no hands, y'see."

Had we been in the west and we didn't make this trade and Chicago did I would be upset, but I can clearly understand why detroit didnt get this kind of trade because they are in the same conference. However, what a potential steal by Chicago. This is the kind of trade detroit needs. It won't happen though. Too many players are pending UFA and RFA's on this team IMO that there is no way Kenny would gamble trading away prospects who could (most likely not) be needed to fill out the roster next year. Kenny loves the play it safe; one small step at a time approach and with Bert, Cleary, Sammy, Tatar, Big Rig, Quincey, Alfie, Eaves, Gustavson all either UFA or RFA (i know i'm missing one more) there is no way anything big happens this year because of the potential need to fill those spots if guys don't want to come back or can't come to terms on a deal (which lets be honest won't happen either, welcome back bert and cleary)

This is a guy I've always wanted to see on the Wings. Young, had a bit of injury history of late, but works hard and put up points. I don't like his new deal, but I would have liked to see him come here instead of Chicago. Kenny missed on that one.