• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

He's the Genius, not me. So he should 1) not have put us in this situation in the first place (wait, who was it who signed Tootoo, Sammy, and Cleary? Oh yeah, Brian Burke! nvm), 2) have a slam-dunk, rabbit-out-of-the-hat, deus-ex-machina that makes us say, "Oh. My. God. He's been planning this since he was seventeen years old! LEGEND!!!!!"

I'm not saying he didn't screw up, but saying OMG why weren't we in on the Versteeg trade carries a fairly obvious answer.  There is no rabbit to be pulled out of the hat.

#22 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

Think Kenny can convince Sammy to accept a trade to Florida in order to maximize his salary for the rest of the year due to the lack of state income tax?  Would Tallon go for Sammy for a package including one of Lebron's used headbands & a postcard of the Clevelander? 

#23 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,996 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

I'm not saying he didn't screw up, but saying OMG why weren't we in on the Versteeg trade carries a fairly obvious answer.  There is no rabbit to be pulled out of the hat.

Well, to be clear, I'm not using Versteeg as the measurement of Holland's current competence. I'm speaking generally. In general, Holland seems quite content to sit on his hands, and then, when he's questioned about it, say: "Sorry, can't do anything about it. Got no hands, y'see."

Don't Toews me, bro!

#24 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

Had we been in the west and we didn't make this trade and Chicago did I would be upset, but I can clearly understand why detroit didnt get this kind of trade because they are in the same conference. However, what a potential steal by Chicago. This is the kind of trade detroit needs. It won't happen though. Too many players are pending UFA and RFA's on this team IMO that there is no way Kenny would gamble trading away prospects who could (most likely not) be needed to fill out the roster next year. Kenny loves the play it safe; one small step at a time approach and with Bert, Cleary, Sammy, Tatar, Big Rig, Quincey, Alfie, Eaves, Gustavson all either UFA or RFA (i know i'm missing one more) there is no way anything big happens this year because of the potential need to fill those spots if guys don't want to come back or can't come to terms on a deal (which lets be honest won't happen either, welcome back bert and cleary) 

#25 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

This is a guy I've always wanted to see on the Wings. Young, had a bit of injury history of late, but works hard and put up points. I don't like his new deal, but I would have liked to see him come here instead of Chicago. Kenny missed on that one.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#26 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

sammy & cleary to FLA for mathias. They seem to like vets there.. geterr done kenny! :P

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#27 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,996 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

How many current Panthers are ex-Wings? There's Matthias (we drafted him in the second round, 2006), Fleischmann (second round, 2002), Kopecky (second round, 2000)...am I forgetting someone? I know Bert and Sammy had stints there....

Don't Toews me, bro!

#28 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

How many current Panthers are ex-Wings? There's Matthias (we drafted him in the second round, 2006), Fleischmann (second round, 2002), Kopecky (second round, 2000)...am I forgetting someone? I know Bert and Sammy had stints there....

weiss

Posted Image

#29 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

Three reasons players go to Florida:

1.They get drafted there

2. They're going to retire there

3.They're cashing in on a fat pay day so the team can hit the cap floor.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#30 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

Listen, let's not even bring up Kopecky being brought back here. Samuelsson was bad, Kopecky coming back... I don't know if I could watch the team anymore :lol:

#NOMOREKINDL

#31 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

Well this summer CHI will have 3 forward spots to fill, plus a back up goal-tending spot to fill, with just over 500K in cap space available.

#32 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

Well this summer CHI will have 3 forward spots to fill, plus a back up goal-tending spot to fill, with just over 500K in cap space available.

Cap is going back up.  Speculated around 69-70mil.  They're gonna be just fine especially since it's the very bottom of their roster they have to fill out.  They will have money to spare.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#33 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

Cap is going back up.  Speculated around 69-70mil.  They're gonna be just fine especially since it's the very bottom of their roster they have to fill out.  They will have money to spare.

Well if that's the case, we have just 3 more spots to fill than they do, and we'll have 25 million in cap room. Compared to their 6 million we'll have a much better opportunity to chase someone big to bolster our top 6 and Defense corps

#34 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

I don't think anyone called for Holland to be in on Versteeg. We are just wondering why Holland never swings these seemingly easy deals. Not just this week, but in general the past few years.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#35 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if no one wants to make a (fair) trade with us. That's probably what comes with being generally regarded as THE BEST GM EVAR for 10+ years. I mean, think about it - how many GMs have probably had their fans screaming, "Why can't you be like Ken Holland?! It works for the Red Wings, so why not us?!" for God-knows-how-long? Maybe now they get to stick it to Mr. BEST GM EVAR and his oh-so-special Red Wings?

Or maybe Holland is just lazy and complacent. Not that I could necessarily blame him...

"Sooo, I can A) Do a lot of hard work and make several million dollars, or B) Not do a lot of hard work...and make several million dollars. Hmmm...."

It's more like this: 

Holland: I want to make a trade

GM of other team: What do you have in mind?

H: A top 6 forward and a top 4 Dman

GM: And what would you offer in return?

H: Tootoo, Eaves and Samuelson

GM: Click

*Later that day*

Secretary: Dan Cleary on line one

Holland: Put him through

Cleary: Ken lets talk

H: Yes Mr Cleary! How does a new contract sound?

(Seriously, does Cleary have the goods on Holland? I'm betting there are polaroids involved) 

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#36 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

Well if that's the case, we have just 3 more spots to fill than they do, and we'll have 25 million in cap room. Compared to their 6 million we'll have a much better opportunity to chase someone big to bolster our top 6 and Defense corps

Absolutely. We will have a ton of cap space with a good deal of our players already locked up.

I would say It's quite possibly the greatest opportunity in years for us to bolster our lineup and make a run.

Holland will have to be bold for the first time in years.  Take a risk for once. Alas, I'm not getting my hopes up too much with his record in recent years.

Vince Lombardi

#37 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

Absolutely. We will have a ton of cap space with a good deal of our players already locked up.

I would say It's quite possibly the greatest opportunity in years for us to bolster our lineup and make a run.

Holland will have to be bold for the first time in years.  Take a risk for once. Alas, I'm not getting my hopes up too much with his record in recent years.

After re-signing all our young players (and Cleary) It's looking like we'll have something like 8-12 million left over, depending on the different contacts. Unfortunately that 8-12 will probably be split between Alfredsson, Bertuzzi, and Quincey :(

#38 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

I can't see Quincey coming back.  Alfredsson is welcome back I'm sure.  He's been doing well, if not tearing up the nets, and he adds even more leadership.  Having half of your top six be Alfredsson, Zetterberg and Datsyuk is not a bad thing, especially come playoffs.  Imagine someone like Tatar playing with and learning from Alfredsson, instead of Cleary (as Babcock implied in his comments earlier).  

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#39 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:07 PM

Three reasons players go to Florida:

1.They get drafted there

2. They're going to retire there

3.They're cashing in on a fat pay day that they haven't earned so the team can hit the cap floor.

fixed :P  agreed though. I don't think we'll ever see a day where players go there to win.. 

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#40 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

chicago working to make a cup winning team better

holland sitting on his thumbs after re-signing useless vets and burying nhl-ready players in the minors

quite the contrast

Pretty hard to argue with this statement.  Fact is, Tatar should not be a scratch and Nyquist should be a Wing.

I can't see Quincey coming back.  Alfredsson is welcome back I'm sure.  He's been doing well, if not tearing up the nets, and he adds even more leadership.  Having half of your top six be Alfredsson, Zetterberg and Datsyuk is not a bad thing, especially come playoffs.  Imagine someone like Tatar playing with and learning from Alfredsson, instead of Cleary (as Babcock implied in his comments earlier).  

Tatar-Helm-Alfredsson for it's short time was the best our 2nd line has been all year.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag