• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rick zombo

Holland Interview

Rate this topic

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/audo-not-the-best-day-for-ken-holland

10 minutes long. Worth a listen. Do yourself a favour, it's not quite your typical Kenny-speak.

Notes:

- he's not in a good mood. you can tell

- possible that Nyquist gets called up as early as tomorrow. "possible"

- says kids aren't the answer, this is a man's league

- makes a decent point: says look at Nyquist and Jurco, etc, they're generating points with tons of PP minutes which they wouldn't be getting in Detroit; says that's a role that young kids have to "grow into"

- when asked about FA signings was careful to point out that we haven't seen enough games out of the full team he built over the summer.

- ended the interview by saying: some of the FA signings haven't performed as well as I expected they would, and that's on me"

I suggest you listen to this interview before you start your Holland rants in this thread.

Guest Crymson
- ended the interview by saying: some of the FA signings haven't performed as well as I expected they would, and that's on me"

Holland blamed you for his signings that haven't worked out? How impertinent!

:D

Little bit of double-speak on the topic of Nyquist and Jurco. Yes they're getting pp time in GR and scoring, and yes they wouldn't be guaranteed pp time here, but it's not hard to imagine them earning pp time on the big club given how poor the second pp unit is. If they were on the team and not on the pp, who's going to get that time...Helm? Abby? Cleary?

Of course, we'd actually have to get a pp once in a while for that to even matter.

Holland almost discredits Tatar and Gus for how many points they have in GR because "they're on the powerplay". He says up here they wouldn't get chances like that because it's something you grow into. Sorry, but if you're willing to stick Sammy and Cleary on our power play those two damn well better be on it when they're up here. Referring to 24 year olds as kids is a problem. There are plenty of teams that have multiple 24 year olds skating on their roster right now.

I have to wonder if he is feeling some pressure from the big boss, he doesn't usually come straight out like that, he usually just says the wings will start clicking, we like our team blah blah blah

Holland almost discredits Tatar and Gus for how many points they have in GR because "they're on the powerplay". He says up here they wouldn't get chances like that because it's something you grow into. Sorry, but if you're willing to stick Sammy and Cleary on our power play those two damn well better be on it when they're up here. Referring to 24 year olds as kids is a problem. There are plenty of teams that have multiple 24 year olds skating on their roster right now.

not like Toews is 25 nd has captained his team to two cups right...

I have to wonder if he is feeling some pressure from the big boss, he doesn't usually come straight out like that, he usually just says the wings will start clicking, we like our team blah blah blah

not like Toews is 25 nd has captained his team to two cups right...

Not like Toews was a first overall pick and a genrational superstar. The Wings have a great prospect pool, but that's what they're missing. A lottery pick.

I understand wanting to stack the squad with young guns, hell, I'd love to have a 4th line right now of Sheahan - Jarnkrok - Jurco.

But we all have to stop comparing Nyquist, Tatar, etc to guys like Toews, Skinner, Crosby, or even Landeskog and Nichushkin. These guys were all drafted in the top 1-15 spots.

Guest Playmaker

I threw up in my mouth a little listening to that interview. It made me sick. It wasn't anything different from Holland, it was SSDD. The only difference he's not basking in the glory of winning and he can't keep blaming other people, the cap, the conference, whatever, for the Wings woes. Stevie Wonder can see how much Cleary had declined, but he couldn't? Babcock made it abundantly clear that he was not going to play Tootoo regularly, but yet he was kept on the roster and was not bought out? The league has changed, but Holland hasn't.

Little bit of double-speak on the topic of Nyquist and Jurco. Yes they're getting pp time in GR and scoring, and yes they wouldn't be guaranteed pp time here, but it's not hard to imagine them earning pp time on the big club given how poor the second pp unit is. If they were on the team and not on the pp, who's going to get that time...Helm? Abby? Cleary?

Of course, we'd actually have to get a pp once in a while for that to even matter.

It's like Holland doesn't realize that they're not one day going to magically be great on an NHL powerplay. Kids aren't "the answer" so to speak, but they need a chance to develop into "the answer" eventually.

Listened to it and have lost any respect left that I've had for Holland. He's disillusioned and completely lost his mind. We don't expect to bring up all the "kids" but to think the vets we have now are doing the job after this many games is absurd . We are effectively using our player in the wrong rolls. I love Helm but come on no. 2 center he's not the type of player to play that role same with Abby on any of the top 6 he's much better on the bottom 6 at what he does best fore checking and being aggressive. Franzen I still don't think he realizes he's playing hockey.

Tatar and Nyquist have the necessary skills/talent to play w/similar players on the top 6. I don't know how many times I've seen Zet or Dats make a beautiful play to either Abby or Cleary and they can't handle the pass they just plain out ruin the play turning a scoring chance into nothing. At the very least Bert has the hands to finish and can take feed from either of those two. The line juggling is ridiculous no one has time to mesh one game they do well and the lines still change the next game they do horrid and the lines change. There's no consistency for some of our new players to really settle in and learn to play with their line mates.

Our biggest issue by far is the lack of our puck moving defensemen we have broken sloppy plays getting out of our own zone and the turnovers from our so called "vets" are god aweful.

It's like Holland doesn't realize that they're not one day going to magically be great on an NHL powerplay. Kids aren't "the answer" so to speak, but they need a chance to develop into "the answer" eventually.

Agreed. But I don't think Holland has trouble understanding this. To me, it just sounded like he was cautioning against expectations that Nyquist was going to be the answer to The Wings current problems. He did say, short of bringing in a game-changing superstar that no one player can fix what;s broken, that this is a team-wide issue and that they have to play better (secondary scoring and defense) "as a team".

I can live with this sentiment. Personally, I'm pumped that Nyquist is most likely getting called up, and is here to stay. But Red Wings fans have got it so band these days, that #freenyquist has become a thing, like he was the Nelson Mandella or ***** Riot of hockey. Goose can only do so much.

Guest Playmaker

Holland realizes that Nyquist has only ONE goal on the PP, right? His 6 other goals are all even strength.

So how many goals are Cleary and Sameulsson scoring on the PP?

So if kids aren't the answer what is Brendan Smith, DeKeyser, etc doing in the lineup? I'd much rather have a defenseman stay in the minors longer than a forward.

Agreed. He's a great player and will be a great second line playermaker one day, but people need to temper their expectations. But it could does make us more dangerous by having him, even if he's a rookie and doesn't tear it up.

Guest Playmaker

Agreed. But I don't think Holland has trouble understanding this. To me, it just sounded like he was cautioning against expectations that Nyquist was going to be the answer to The Wings current problems. He did say, short of bringing in a game-changing superstar that no one player can fix what;s broken, that this is a team-wide issue and that they have to play better (secondary scoring and defense) "as a team".

I can live with this sentiment. Personally, I'm pumped that Nyquist is most likely getting called up, and is here to stay. But Red Wings fans have got it so band these days, that #freenyquist has become a thing, like he was the Nelson Mandella or ***** Riot of hockey. Goose can only do so much.

It's not like when DeKeyser joined the Wings last season that it totally turned things around, eh? No he wasn't the total answer, but an infusion of youth and talent can do wonders some times. I get not bringing up 19 year olds, but cripes, Nyquist is 24, played US College Hockey, been in the minors several years, if he's not ready now, he never will be.

It's not like when DeKeyser joined the Wings last season that it totally turned things around, eh? No he wasn't the total answer, but an infusion of youth and talent can do wonders some times. I get not bringing up 19 year olds, but cripes, Nyquist is 24, played US College Hockey, been in the minors several years, if he's not ready now, he never will be.

In which case, context is important. Holland only made the "kids" comment when he was grilled by the radio guy, suggesting he call up Jurco too.

Jurco is only 20.

pucktividi, the key factor there is talent, not age. Great players, whether young or old, is the answer.

That, and having the letter "K" in your name. :tounge:

Edited by rick zombo

Guest Playmaker

I'd rather watch the Wings struggle with the likes of Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, etc, than to suck with the "real men" like Cleary, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi and Alfredsson.

The Wings just don't have the depth that they used to and the luxury of outspending other teams and nursing along players and easing them in when they're 24 or 25. Back in the day, Alfredsson would be a 3rd or 4th line player, not depended upon to be a top 6 player.

pucktividi, the key factor there is talent, not age. Great players, whether young or old, is the answer.

It's obvious,but Holland disagrees when having more faith in Cleary and Sammy's experiance than in Nyquist and Tatar's talent.

I agree. And I am calling Nyquist ***** Riot from here on out.

Err, Kitty Riot I guess :lol:

Does it piss anyone else off that this team's singular goal every year now is to just make the playoffs? Holland talks about this team being in playoff contention as if they are successful right now. The East is the weakest s*** ever. They would be in 9th place in the West with Dallas having two games in hand if they were still in that conference. Obviously this is a men's league, but Cleary and Samuelsson look nothing like men (not even including Sammy bitching out of that fight last night). I don't think a youth injection can make this team any worse.

Edited by CaliforniaWingsFan

Guest mjtm77

Does it piss anyone else off that this team's singular goal every year now is to just make the playoffs? Holland talks about this team being in playoff contention as if they are successful right now. The East is the weakest s*** ever. They would be in 9th place in the West with Dallas having two games in hand if they were still in that conference. Obviously this is a men's league, but Cleary and Samuelsson look nothing like men (not even including Sammy bitching out of that fight last night). I don't think a youth injection can make this team any worse.

if we make the playoffs ill be happy. With the roster we have so should you.

Guest Crymson

Holland realizes that Nyquist has only ONE goal on the PP, right? His 6 other goals are all even strength.

So how many goals are Cleary and Sameulsson scoring on the PP?

So if kids aren't the answer what is Brendan Smith, DeKeyser, etc doing in the lineup? I'd much rather have a defenseman stay in the minors longer than a forward.

Cleary is #12 on the team in PP ToI, and most of his time came in the early games of the season. He has since been kicked off the 2nd unit.