• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

Agreed. But I don't think Holland has trouble understanding this. To me, it just sounded like he was cautioning against expectations that Nyquist was going to be the answer to The Wings current problems. He did say, short of bringing in a game-changing superstar that no one player can fix what;s broken, that this is a team-wide issue and that they have to play better (secondary scoring and defense) "as a team".

I can live with this sentiment. Personally, I'm pumped that Nyquist is most likely getting called up, and is here to stay. But Red Wings fans have got it so band these days, that #freenyquist has become a thing, like he was the Nelson Mandella or ***** Riot of hockey.  Goose can only do so much.

I agree. And I am calling Nyquist ***** Riot from here on out.

Err, Kitty Riot I guess :lol:

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#22 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,114 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

More like Holland stupidview.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#23 CaliforniaWingsFan

CaliforniaWingsFan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

Does it piss anyone else off that this team's singular goal every year now is to just make the playoffs? Holland talks about this team being in playoff contention as if they are successful right now. The East is the weakest s*** ever. They would be in 9th place in the West with Dallas having two games in hand if they were still in that conference. Obviously this is a men's league, but Cleary and Samuelsson look nothing like men (not even including Sammy bitching out of that fight last night). I don't think a youth injection can make this team any worse. 

Edited by CaliforniaWingsFan, 20 November 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#24 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

Does it piss anyone else off that this team's singular goal every year now is to just make the playoffs? Holland talks about this team being in playoff contention as if they are successful right now. The East is the weakest s*** ever. They would be in 9th place in the West with Dallas having two games in hand if they were still in that conference. Obviously this is a men's league, but Cleary and Samuelsson look nothing like men (not even including Sammy bitching out of that fight last night). I don't think a youth injection can make this team any worse. 

if we make the playoffs ill be happy. With the roster we have so should you.

Posted Image

#25 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

Holland realizes that Nyquist has only ONE goal on the PP, right?  His 6 other goals are all even strength. 

So how many goals are Cleary and Sameulsson scoring on the PP? 

So if kids aren't the answer what is Brendan Smith, DeKeyser, etc doing in the lineup?  I'd much rather have a defenseman stay in the minors longer than a forward. 

Cleary is #12 on the team in PP ToI, and most of his time came in the early games of the season. He has since been kicked off the 2nd unit.

#26 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

if we make the playoffs ill be happy. With the roster we have so should you.

That's the problem. "With the roster we have." It shouldn't have come to this.

#27 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

I'm not sure from where you've drawn that conclusion. The goal last year was to make the playoffs, because it was a transition year. Before that? No.

#28 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

- when asked about FA signings was careful to point out that we haven't seen enough games out of the full team he built over the summer.

Bulls***, he's always said the 20 game mark is when he decides. I guess this number goes up as the cap goes down.

Posted Image

#29 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

Wtf is he saying "kids aren't the answer"?  They are the future of the hockey team.  Holland sounds like an old man stuck in history.  Also, seems like he is declining cognitively with all the long pauses and "errr..ahhh.oooomm..."  Hope the man is alright.

Edited by themcityblues, 20 November 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#30 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

Damn, Holland sounded almost offended when the guy brought up Jurco. This is the most pressured Holland I've heard. "NOW HOLD ON JUST A MINUTE". LOL. Guess a youth movement is out of the question.

I liked that he took some blame and admitted things aren't good. He didn't defend Cleary in any way so I'm starting to think Danny boy is on the ropes, could he be sacrificed for the sake of Nyquist? Please.

#31 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:06 PM

What's weird about Holland is how he turns any suggestions that he disagrees with into an ideological argument.  Nobody has suggest Nyquist is "The Answer," we're just flabberghasted that such a special player did not earn a place on this team with such a great performance in last season's playoffs.  It's not a matter of men vs kids (wtf lol?) but putting the best players on the ice.

#32 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

Another thing...when the kids stepped up pre and during the Playoffs,that was great and all the part of Ken's rebuild on a fly plain while couple of months later,suddenly the kids are not the answer.A bit of contradiction by Mr.Holland

#33 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

Holland should be featured on a season finale of the show "Hoarders." The guy just wants every prospect safely developing outside the NHL.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#34 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:51 PM

I've been a major KH fan, but he's missing the point.

One main problem is secondary scoring and a 3rd line of Tats Helm NyQ is infact the answer.

It will also relieve pressure from the 2nd line not scoring.

He commented on how close we are to the record looking very different with all those overtime loses. So yeah, just a little bit of scoring from that third line could have made a major difference.

Edit: he often says he was brought up too fast as a goalie and it devastated his confidence; he would have been much more successful had he been ripened first.

He seriously needs to get counseling to see its a case by case issue. He's right to a point but he's over the top with it.

Edited by T.Low, 20 November 2013 - 10:58 PM.

#35 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

The kids were the answer in a lockout shortened season...

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#36 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:57 AM

Not like Toews was a first overall pick and a genrational superstar. The Wings have a great prospect pool, but that's what they're missing.  A lottery pick.

I understand wanting to stack the squad with young guns, hell, I'd love to have a 4th line right now of Sheahan - Jarnkrok - Jurco.

But we all have to stop comparing Nyquist, Tatar, etc to guys like Toews, Skinner, Crosby, or even Landeskog and Nichushkin. These guys were all drafted in the top 1-15 spots.

I'm not comparing them to Tatar and nyquist, obviously those guys are highly skilled highly touted forwards. My point is that "kids" with energy and skill, and speed can make a difference. The hawks won the cup a couple years ago with a very young team and aside from Kane and Toews they didn't have all top ten picks on the roster.

#37 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:58 AM

I get a feeling that Mr I has had a word with Kenny and the kitchen is warming up. Kenny hasn't been in this position before and is struggling to cope. At the end of the day

he made 2 signings he didn't need to do and its hurting the team and the progress of some of the prospects. hopefully he will have learnt from it and at the end of this season

doesn't make the same decisions again. Let them go Kenny, its a business and the owners and fans want and deserve the best product you can put out on the ice.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#38 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

I get a feeling that Mr I has had a word with Kenny and the kitchen is warming up. Kenny hasn't been in this position before and is struggling to cope. At the end of the day
he made 2 signings he didn't need to do and its hurting the team and the progress of some of the prospects. hopefully he will have learnt from it and at the end of this season
doesn't make the same decisions again. Let them go Kenny, its a business and the owners and fans want and deserve the best product you can put out on the ice.

I assume you mean Weiss and Alfredsson, cause Cleary and Sammy were the best signings ever!!!

#39 Wings10

Wings10

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

I honestly can't stand listening to Holland anymore.

#40 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

Holland seemed a little rattled in that interview which if nothing else alleviates any fears I had that he's burying his head in the sand. He can see there's a problem, but whether he's too stubborn to actually rectify it is another matter.

I wasn't expecting much more from him. A couple of excuses here, a couple of ramblings there. His insistence on and attempted defence of his awful old folk FA signings, whilst expected, was still infuriating to hear.

In all honesty I've no faith in him to make this team any better than it is unless we land on a a draft goldmine like with Dats, Z and co. Shudder to think where we'd be without our scouts.

^ Some of us have been saying all this for years now. Years!

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights