• Please log in to reply
501 replies to this topic

#241 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

What's really, really bizarre is that despite being on the 1st line, Cleary is last overall in ice time on the team (Lashoff aside). Bertuzzi, who usually averages ~15 minutes, is on pace for less than 13. Cleary's ineptitude makes that line worthless. Is Babcock hypnotized?

Will a correspondent please think during a press conference to ask Babcock why Cleary, despite obviously being the single worst forward on the team, is given chance after chance?

#242 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

I really despise Dan Cleary, and Babcock's inexplicable devotion to him is beginning to seriously perturb me. I understand that Quincey must play, as there are no other defensemen available. But it was clearly unnecessary for Cleary to be on this team to begin with, let alone playing in every game, let alone playing on the first line. It is a !@#$ing travesty. Put ANY FORWARD but Cleary there. LITERALLY ANY OF THEM. Every single one forward on this team would do better than him. This is not an exaggeration, and it makes the issue infuriating.

Accurate statement is accurate... It makes me feel insane.

#243 CaliforniaWingsFan

CaliforniaWingsFan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

Wow, Nyquist scoring so fast was definitely a high point in the season so far. Forgive me for actually being excited and forgetting that the Wings blow every single lead they have ever had. Still not giving up hope that we can pull this out against one of the worst teams in the league. LGRW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully that flu bug finds Cleary tonight! (Not hoping for him to get hurt just that he decides to retire and never ruin this lineup again.)

#244 datterberg1340

datterberg1340

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

I really despise Dan Cleary, and Babcock's inexplicable devotion to him is beginning to seriously perturb me. I understand that Quincey must play, as there are no other defensemen available. But it was clearly unnecessary for Cleary to be on this team to begin with, let alone playing in every game, let alone playing on the first line. It is a !@#$ing travesty. Put ANY FORWARD but Cleary there. LITERALLY ANY OF THEM. Every single one forward on this team would do better than him. This is not an exaggeration, and it makes the issue infuriating.

I hate to think that Holland and Babs haven't done anything about the Cleary problem because they want to protect their own pride and egos against the mistake that was re-signing him, but at this point, what other explanation is there?

#245 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but i think if all of LGW pitches in $44 we can give Bertuzzi enough money to end Dan Cleary's career....i mean cmon he's done it for less!

#246 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:20 PM

Man. I’d be soooooooo willing to abort this season for the following:

1. A 1st round pick as high as 14

2. The end of Cleary and Quincey on this team

3. A renewed sense of accountability within this organization,from the Greek Mafia all the way down to the coach

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#247 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

Maybe there are subtlies to Cleary's game that are so subtle only a finely seasoned eye like Babcock can pick them up. Like maybe he looks like the worst forward on the team because he makes ALL of his teammates better. Think about it...

#248 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

I hate to think that Holland and Babs haven't done anything about the Cleary problem because they want to protect their own pride and egos against the mistake that was re-signing him, but at this point, what other explanation is there?

That's not it. I think that Babcock is just obsessed with getting Cleary going. Perhaps he views Cleary as having been his own personal project; the latter was on the team by Babcock's decision in 2005-2006 and went on to do very well for five seasons afterward. But the past two-plus seasons have made it apparent that Cleary is ---DONE---. He has been in indisputable decline throughout that period, regardless of the surgeries that were supposed to rejuvenate him.

Whatever the case, it has got to end. I fervently hope that he'll be scratched when Weiss and/or Alfredsson return, and I can't see it happening any other way.

My most immediate hope is that he'll start anywhere but on the first line next period. Even Samuelsson would do better.

Edited by Crymson, 21 November 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#249 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Anyone looking forward to shootouts??

#250 Sgt. Angry

Sgt. Angry

Sgt. Angry

• PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Any chance that we can just forego the usual scoreless 3rd period, and just go to the inevitable overtime? That way we could all get to bed earlier. If we do have to play the 3rd, can we just let Pav & Z play all 20 minutes?

Watch out!!!! - it's the Sheik ---- and he's got an object!!!!

#251 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

Wow, Nyquist scoring so fast was definitely a high point in the season so far. Forgive me for actually being excited and forgetting that the Wings blow every single lead they have ever had. Still not giving up hope that we can pull this out against one of the worst teams in the league. LGRW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully that flu bug finds Cleary tonight! (Not hoping for him to get hurt just that he decides to retire and never ruin this lineup again.)

Cleary doesn't get sick.

#252 datterberg1340

datterberg1340

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Cleary should have the decency to retire now and stop sucking it up all over the ice

Brian Rafalski walked away from $6 million guaranteed because he knew he was done and didn't want to drag the team down

I hope Cleary wakes up realizes what he needs to do

besides, he'd be walking away from only $1.75 mil

#253 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Hopefully that flu bug finds Cleary tonight!

... And smothers him with a pillow.

#254 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

Hey. Just get this to OT. I’d take a point.  ;)

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#255 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

Just seems like after the Helm goal the space disappeared. Absolutely no room being created. They can just plaster onto us and it doesn't make a difference.

Edited by DatsyukToZetterberg, 21 November 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#256 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:29 PM

Wonderful

Oh goody Cleary without his stick, if that would even matter.

#257 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:30 PM

Come the f*** on.

Kronner's face going into the box is my face the past 7 games.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#258 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 479 posts

the only thing less useful than Cleary is Cleary without a stick...

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#259 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

For those who put stock in this measure: Dan Cleary is currently dead last on the team in that category as well.

Oh, look, he's on the PK.

#260 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Can we still call them "bad breaks" when we consistently do it to ourselves?

Is Cleary losing a stick on the PK a problem or an improvement?