• Please log in to reply
501 replies to this topic

#481 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

Even without Weiss and Alfie, the first line could be improved without changing the second line. Which is a positive thing.

It could be improved in the sense that it is theoretically possible to improve the line without changing the roster.  But it cannot be improved in the more concrete sense that Mike Babcock will never, EVER, put Tomas Tatar on the top line over Danny Boy or Abby...which are really the only other options. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#482 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:42 AM

I can see games on my phone now woot woot and what good timing!  Goose was awesome, that line was really great.  I read that Holland and the rest of the brass were in serious talks of options they have to get this kid a permanent spot up here just after the game...What options do they have other then a trade?

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#483 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

Based on last night's game? I wouldn't change either of the 2nd or 3rd lines. They're perfect for now.

Even the 4th line was alright.

Ideally, we slot Weiss in on Datsyuk's wing and then let Sammy and Cleary duke it out for the final spot on the 4th line.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#484 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

I can see games on my phone now woot woot and what good timing!  Goose was awesome, that line was really great.  I read that Holland and the rest of the brass were in serious talks of options they have to get this kid a permanent spot up here just after the game...What options do they have other then a trade?

Waiving. Shooting Sammy into space. Sinking Sammy to the bottom of the sea. I think that's about it. Maybe also LTIRing Alfie.

Based on last night's game? I wouldn't change either of the 2nd or 3rd lines. They're perfect for now.

Even the 4th line was alright.

Ideally, we slot Weiss in on Datsyuk's wing and then let Sammy and Cleary duke it out for the final spot on the 4th line.

Agreed.

It could be improved in the sense that it is theoretically possible to improve the line without changing the roster.  But it cannot be improved in the more concrete sense that Mike Babcock will never, EVER, put Tomas Tatar on the top line over Danny Boy or Abby...which are really the only other options. 

I was thinking Miller might work. But then, Cleary on the fourth line...that's a very slow "energy line."

I guess it's all moot, though, since Weiss should be back.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#485 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

Has Weiss ever played wing? Let's not make him learn a new position too. I'd rather see Mule moved back with Helm and Tatar as a 3rd line and Z-Weiss-Nyq as 2nd.

#486 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

if mule were to switch lines without any other changes, i'd want him to take cleary's spot..

although, a 3rd line of mule-helm-tatar should dominate any other third line.

side note: soo happy with helm's play this year.. it's great to have him back :D

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#487 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

I thought that Nyquist is the kid in the man's league and that he's not the answer.......

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#488 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:22 PM

My guess is that the Wings trade somebody that other teams might actually want for prospects. Candidates IMO are: Smith Lashof Abby We could live without these guys and other teams may be interested. Face it, nobody is going to trade for Sammy, Cleary, Tootoo, Eaves, so to get out of this jam, we are going to have to lose somebody that we'd like to keep. But it is obvious that we NEED Nyquist in Detroit.
Do or do not. There is no try

#489 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

Trade Abby or Andy for a 4th round pick... Not a bad idea

#490 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

Trade Abby or Andy for a 4th round pick... Not a bad idea

Yes. Let's trade one of our only decent physical forwards that can be plugged into any of the four forward lines in a pinch, for a 4th rounder.

#491 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

Yes. Let's trade one of our only decent physical forwards that can be plugged into any of the four forward lines in a pinch, for a 4th rounder.

It's really our only viable option at this point thanks to Kenny.

#492 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

IMO trading "Q" could/should be an option

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#493 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

It's really our only viable option at this point thanks to Kenny.

You really think trading Abdlekader for a 4th rounder is Holland's only viable option?

Or are you perhaps blowing things out of proportion?

And while we're at it, I'd rather have Nyquist ride out the season in the AHL then lose Abdlekader for a 4th.

#494 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

What a brutal game by Tatar though. He's been pretty bad these last few games

He looked flat and heavy legged, like he's got the flu also.

I thought that Nyquist is the kid in the man's league and that he's not the answer.......

While you're right, according to Holland he's not supposed to be the answer, the kid in the men's league was a Jurco reference.

#495 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

Just because Abby was forced to play on the top 2 lines before doesn't make him viable for all 4. He is not a good option on the top 2. If losing Abby meant getting Gus in full time I would do it in a heartbeat. The Wings can replace him a heck of a lot easier than they can Nyquist. 

#496 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

Just because Abby was forced to play on the top 2 lines before doesn't make him viable for all 4. He is not a good option on the top 2. If losing Abby meant getting Gus in full time I would do it in a heartbeat. The Wings can replace him a heck of a lot easier than they can Nyquist. 

Guess what Detroit have in spades? Skilled prospects. Nyquist, Jurco, and Jarnkrok will all be full-time Red Wings at some point.

Guess what Detroit lacks? Versitile, big, fast, physical wingers.

I think in our collective "Nyquist Is Bigger Than Jesus" craze here at LGWs, we might be under-valuing Abdlekader a bit?

Edit: I'm aware that Nyquist has now officially earned a full-time roster sopt.

Edited by rick zombo, 22 November 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#497 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

Guess what Detroit have in spades? Skilled prospects. Nyquist, Jurco, and Jarnkrok will all be full-time Red Wings at some point.

Guess what Detroit lacks? Versitile, big, fast, physical wingers.

I think in our collective "Nyquist Is Bigger Than Jesus" craze here at LGWs, we might be under-valuing Abdlekader a bit?

Edit: I'm aware that Nyquist has now officially earned a full-time roster sopt.

Abdelkader isn't big or fast and isn't physical all that often.  At 26, its likely that what you see is what you get.  I don't want to dump him, but there aren't a lot of options right now for opening up roster spots.

#498 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

Last night we have 6 Swede's on the ice in every position, pretty incredible.

Nyquist - Z - Franzen

Ericsson - Kronwall

Gus

#499 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

When in Alfie and Weiss due to return?

#500 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

Abdelkader isn't big or fast and isn't physical all that often.  At 26, its likely that what you see is what you get.  I don't want to dump him, but there aren't a lot of options right now for opening up roster spots.

Abby is 10th in the NHL in hits.