• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Is New Goal-Tracking Technology on the Way?

Rate this topic

From TSN:

The National Hockey League is always looking for ways to improve its accuracy rate when it comes to ruling on controversial goals.

NHL Hockey Operations is expected to meet with a group in the near future that has designed a camera system that can be installed in the posts of the nets. This system may provide a more clear view of the goal line and by design may assist the league in determining - conclusively - whether or not the puck crosses the line.

This meeting was planned well before Tuesday night's game between the Philadelphia Flyers and Ottawa Senators where midway through the third period, it appeared Ottawa's Kyle Turris had given his team a 3-2 edge. Turris' shot ricocheted off both of Nicklas Grossmann's skates and from the camera angles provided, it seemingly crossed the goal line.

Veteran referee Paul Devorski immediately waved off the goal and a lengthy video review was unable to warrant overturning the call on the ice.

Check out the scoring chance and the goal here.

I've believed that this sort of technology has been long over due. I think it would rub the referees the wrong way, especially after Uncle Gary has "pumped their tires" during the length of his administration (save for the threats of bringing in scab replacements), saying the League has the "best officials of any major sport". However, I also think that the League has been woefully slow in attempting to put properly trained on-ice officials in their games; Bettman telling telling the world about the great job his officials are doing doesn't necessarily make it so.

I doubt that this "new technology" is going to appear anytime soon, but...

Yay or nay?

I suspect they will be internal cameras with little exposure to the pucks.

Right. they'll likely be in the post entirely with a small hole for the lens.

I'm sure said cameras will be shock proof too.. I don't see them breaking too often. then again I could be wrong

either way, I don't see any reason not to try it

Right. they'll likely be in the post entirely with a small hole for the lens.

I'm sure said cameras will be shock proof too.. I don't see them breaking too often. then again I could be wrong

either way, I don't see any reason not to try it

You can bet it will break every time weber hits the post :P

I'm for the cameras but it doesn't help when the puck is in the goalie's glove or the goalie is covering the puck with his body. I'd like to see the technology using sensors and the goal line so it can be determined using that technology, if the entire puck crosses the goal line.