• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Other Examples of Bad Starts?

Rate this topic

Can anyone find the stats in the last 23 years of Wings hockey where they have had a worse 2 month start than this season? I am sure there must be a year where they started bad and were able to right the ship in time to make the playoffs.

I think I just need some example to reference so I can say, " Well, it's not as bad as it was in YEAR. They started off even worse and still finished PLACE and made it to the playoffs." the next time someone says the phrase "7 games..." to me.

I haven't looked myself, but they keep mentioning during games that the Wings are currently in better position than they were a year ago (not to mention we are in a much more forgiving Conference this year).

PS The Wings are 5th in the Conference right now, only 4 points behind 1st place Boston. The reality is not nearly as bleak as LGW often makes it out to be.

Edited by Echolalia

I think it is exactly as bleak as LGW makes it out to be. I think too often Ken and Mick will make the argument that they aren't THAT far off, but despite how everyone else is underachieving in the East, the Red Wings are still playing at a new level of suck lately. "Winless in 7"? Let's call it what it is, 7 straight losses. On one hand we'll complain about the defense, another the goal-scoring. We still haven't had a night where Howard has outplayed the opposition goaltender, despite lack of goal support.

The Red Wings should be in a much, much worst place than they are, and would be if they were still in the West. There, our 25 points in 22 games would have us 5 points out of a playoff spot and that's having played 2 more games than the 8th place team.

We can't count on everyone else to out-suck us forever. Eventually we need to trust guys like Tatar and hopefully Nyquist, and give up on the plethora of plugs we've accumulated. We aren't going to Dan Cleary ourselves out of this slump, that's for sure :P

I think it is exactly as bleak as LGW makes it out to be. I think too often Ken and Mick will make the argument that they aren't THAT far off, but despite how everyone else is underachieving in the East, the Red Wings are still playing at a new level of suck lately. "Winless in 7"? Let's call it what it is, 7 straight losses. On one hand we'll complain about the defense, another the goal-scoring. We still haven't had a night where Howard has outplayed the opposition goaltender, despite lack of goal support.

The Red Wings should be in a much, much worst place than they are, and would be if they were still in the West. There, our 25 points in 22 games would have us 5 points out of a playoff spot and that's having played 2 more games than the 8th place team.

We can't count on everyone else to out-suck us forever. Eventually we need to trust guys like Tatar and hopefully Nyquist, and give up on the plethora of plugs we've accumulated. We aren't going to Dan Cleary ourselves out of this slump, that's for sure :P

Needless to say, that the last 7 games included teams like the Isles, Jets, Stars and Hurricanes? Seriously the DETROITREDWINGS can't even win against these teams and all of a sudden things aren't as bleak as LGW makes them out to be? None of the mentioned ones is even close to be a powerhouse and yet the real topteams are still coming. How should this team succeed against the Blues, Kings or Penguins if the can't even beat the former mentioned bottom dwllers?

The ranking in the east is giving some fans and probably managment a very false impression on where this team really stands and at least to me it is alarming. This team used to crush such teams without even given a full effort...this is a team, that went into another teams building played at around 75 - 80 % and dominated with 4:1 ...games that's what I call DetroitRedWings style.

Also, I've hardly heard Kenny that annoyed and pissed like in the interview yesterday, so things are not going into the right direction and are very bleak right now.

Wings have played well for stretches you can see what they're capable of

I'm never sure how to feel about that. They have had some nights where they played great and still lost, but most nights lately they deserve to lose. So are their good efforts in losses a sign things will turn around, or a sign that even our best these days isn't good enough? DeKeyser being out hurts. Howard hasn't looked solid this year. We get good scoring from Pav and Z, but then we split them up. We finally give Tatar a shot, he looks good, and again we replace him with Cleary in the top-six. We finally have a chance to bring up Nyquist and all we hear is how "kids aren't the answer in a man's league". Its like we know certain recipes don't work and yet we feel better justifying why they are still better than the alternative.

Needless to say, that the last 7 games included teams like the Isles, Jets, Stars and Hurricanes? Seriously the DETROITREDWINGS can't even win against these teams and all of a sudden things aren't as bleak as LGW makes them out to be? None of the mentioned ones is even close to be a powerhouse and yet the real topteams are still coming. How should this team succeed against the Blues, Kings or Penguins if the can't even beat the former mentioned bottom dwllers?

The ranking in the east is giving some fans and probably managment a very false impression on where this team really stands and at least to me it is alarming. This team used to crush such teams without even given a full effort...this is a team, that went into another teams building played at around 75 - 80 % and dominated with 4:1 ...games that's what I call DetroitRedWings style.

Also, I've hardly heard Kenny that annoyed and pissed like in the interview yesterday, so things are not going into the right direction and are very bleak right now.

I accept that we aren't the team that is going to blow teams out anymore, or skate with the puck the majority of the night, but there are certain things that could have and should have been done differently to put us in a better spot. There is no reason whatsoever to be paying Tootoo, Quincey, Cleary, and Samuelsson, a combined $10.5M of our salary cap, keeping Nyquist in the minors and Tatar being treated like a faster, younger, more talented (not necessarily better yet, mind you) Hudler with limited minutes.

In a few years, the Wings may return to the style of play to which we are accustom, but in the meantime, they could at the very least not suck so intentionally. Holland needs to be better, Babcock needs to be better, and the individual players need to be better.

Guest Crymson

Okay. Nevermind. This team is doing great!

In the 2011-2012 season, the Wings lost six straight. People freaked out then. People freak out now.

Last twenty-three seasons, first 22 games? No problem. And, it's not nearly as tragic as you would think.

It's the fifth worst record in Club history, listed with season and game differential (wins minus losses in regulation):

1990-91: -1

1993-94: 0

2003-04: 2

2012-13: 2

2013-14: 3

The "worst" start just happens to be the start of the current playoff appearance streak of twenty-two.

Don't base your arguments on what would be if the Wings belonged to the Western Conference. We aren't there anymore and there's no point in speculating. The reality is yes we've lost the past 8 and I'm not going to lie and say that's good, but at the same token, there are only two games in November that the Wings haven't earned at least a point in, so as far as 8 game losing streaks go, its about as mild as it can get. It also happened to occur during a time when Franzen was injured, Alfy was injured, Ericsson was injured, Smith was injured and Weiss was injured each at some point. Again, the Wings are still comfortably holding onto a playoff spot, and anything can happen in the postseason.

Pretty much every viewpoint in this thread is correct. The wings are in-between it all, in "superposition". They could win the cup this year, they could be 25th next season, they could finish the "rebuilding" process and extend the playoff streak, or tank for the next 5 years. It all hangs in the delicate balance.

It's because all those free-spending President's Cups team spoiled us. ;)

I haven't looked myself, but they keep mentioning during games that the Wings are currently in better position than they were a year ago (not to mention we are in a much more forgiving Conference this year).

PS The Wings are 5th in the Conference right now, only 4 points behind 1st place Boston. The reality is not nearly as bleak as LGW often makes it out to be.

Edited by FireCaptain

A thought occurred to me earlier today, one which, for me, kinda sorta maybe eases the hurt of our lackluster first quarter a bit:

"Man. We really suck at home this season. We need to fix that s*** so we can finish at the top of our division/conference, so we can have that all-important home ice...advantage. ...."

Edited by Dabura

89-90 the last year they missed the playoffs.

14 wins through the first half of the season.

Although there was no shootouts back than.

And I don't remember there being points awarded for overtime loses either. Not that they had many of those..

Edited by KATIEBARTHEDOOR24