• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SDavis35

What is Samuelsson's role?

Rate this topic

Was thinking about it last night.

Samuelsson is a former 2nd liner, played with the Sedins a few games and is capable of scoring. Yet most of this season he has been playing on the 4th line. I'm not sure he can live up to that role, yet we have a capable top 6, so where does Sammy fit in this team? And how can we put him in a position to succeed better on this team since we have him likely all year?

Sammy was a good acquisition at the time. It certainly seems that two years and $2m/per would have made better sense. Or even 1yr.

There was no adjustment phase, as he's been a wing before obviously and therefore knows the systems.

A right-handed shot we needed for the power play point.

Swede background with Canadian light edge.

He's actually done well this year. I used to worry every time he got the puck, but now he is much more composed and makes pretty good passes and pretty good decisions. Certainly has more patience with the puck than Tafar for example.

He is a versatile depth signing. He can play third line grinder, be plugged into the second or even first-line in a pinch, and be plugged into fourth line minutes.

It wasn't a bad acquisition, it was just the contract itself that was poor.

Edited by T.Low

Guest Crymson

His role right now is to play because he's on the roster. His role once Alfredsson and Weiss return will be to hang out on the bench.

He is actually better than Cleary at this point in their respective careers. I'll give him that and if he could start blasting home some one timers on the 2nd PP unit I would be ecstatic

Absolutely.

He was brought in because we needed a right-handed shot who wasn't afraid to actually SHOOT the blessed thing.

Now he's just there to distract the female admirers so that Hank can focus on hockey.

Sammy was a good acquisition at the time. It certainly seems that two years and $2m/per would have made better sense. Or even 1yr.

I disagree wholeheartedly. At the time it was a decision based on panic. Holland missed out on Suter and Parise and just grabbed whatever scrap he could. Then Sammy was coming off a year that he couldn't stay healthy and had health concerns still when signed. What happens? He plays only 4 games all year due to multiple injuries and then uses those injuries to block a buyout. Nothing about the the Sammy acquisition could be considered good. Both of Hollands panic signings that off-season (TooToo and Sammy) have no role with this team. Bad management there.

Edited by GoalieManPat

His first time around Sammy was a bargain and probably didn't get enough credit for what he brought to the team.

This time around kinda makes it hard to remember all that though.

I agree.

Guy has 4 solid seasons in Detroit are a pretty good 2nd/3rd liner with some size and a right handed shot on the PP. Scores a points better than every other game. Contributes just as much or more in the playoffs, including a Cup run and another run to the finals. All for pretty cheap, considering. $537,500 the first year, $1.2 million per the next 3.

Goes to Vancouver for better $ and earns it - does even better for two seasons. Hits the 30 goal mark. 50 and 53 points respectively. 15 points in 12 playoff games in one of those years.

Gets traded to Florida. Is out for part of the beginning of the season, but comes back and ends up with 31 points in 54 games (full season 57 point pace). Florida gets to the playoffs for the 1st time in forever. He has 5 points in 7 playoff games.

Signs in Detroit again. Lockout. Injuries. Doesn't really get a chance to even play before everybody on LGW decides they hate him.

Edited by barabbas16

I disagree wholeheartedly. At the time it was a decision based on panic. Holland missed out on Suter and Parise and just grabbed whatever scrap he could. Then Sammy was coming off a year that he couldn't stay healthy and had health concerns still when signed. What happens? He plays only 4 games all year due to multiple injuries and then uses those injuries to block a buyout. Nothing about the the Sammy acquisition could be considered good. Both of Hollands panic signings that off-season (TooToo and Sammy) have no role with this team. Bad management there.

Fair enough: we disagree.

I will say this: he's better than Dan Cleary. He's a decent bottom-6 offensive option at this point. However, not great. Yes, he put up 30 in Vancouver.

Playing with the Sedins.

He could have a role with this team but he just doesn't play it. He's not producing a whole lot despite being somewhat healthy this year (knock on wood). He's not close to the biggest of our problems, but he certainly isn't a large part of the solution, either.

Edited by DatsyukToZetterberg