• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedWang

The Dan Cleary Hate Zone

Rate this topic

Hey. So, I was thinking. Some of you were saying, Hey, maybe this - Cleary playing on the first line - is a last chance of sorts for Cleary. Judging by the comments from Babs that we've been reading today, that doesn't seem so far off. But I think there are two dimensions to it.

One is, I guess you could say, negative. Babs is giving Cleary a great chance to prove he belongs on this team and that he and especially Holland weren't total fools for welcoming him back.

The other is more positive: maybe this is also Cleary's Last Hurrah, the last time he'll get to show what he can really do, his last chance to score some big goals and have some big fun moments on a line with one of the best players in the world before Weiss and Alfie (who told Babs they're ready to go but were held off the roster tonight) come back and he's pushed down to the bottom-six, maybe even to the Leino Lounge...maybe even off the team entirely (doubtful). So, it'd be a sort of show-of-respect thing. Now, I mean, maybe Cleary gets more time in the top-six beyond this little stretch, because of injuries of whatever. But maybe he doesn't.

Does that make any sense?

So basically we will anchor and totally make Datsyuk ineffective because they want to get Cleary going ? There is something seriously wrong with what Babcock is saying. Sorry, but the best players deserve to play top 6 minutes, and Cleary doesn't even deserve a spot on this roster, let alone time with one of the best players in the league.

When Babcock comes back to reality he will then see that Cleary is absolutely useless and not even Gretzky could make him good.

Edited by darkmanx

Hey. So, I was thinking. Some of you were saying, Hey, maybe this - Cleary playing on the first line - is a last chance of sorts for Cleary. Judging by the comments from Babs that we've been reading today, that doesn't seem so far off. But I think there are two dimensions to it.

One is, I guess you could say, negative. Babs is giving Cleary a great chance to prove he belongs on this team and that he and especially Holland weren't total fools for welcoming him back.

The other is more positive: maybe this is also Cleary's Last Hurrah, the last time he'll get to show what he can really do, his last chance to score some big goals and have some big fun moments on a line with one of the best players in the world before Weiss and Alfie (who told Babs they're ready to go but were held off the roster tonight) come back and he's pushed down to the bottom-six, maybe even to the Leino Lounge...maybe even off the team entirely (doubtful). So, it'd be a sort of show-of-respect thing. Now, I mean, maybe Cleary gets more time in the top-six beyond this little stretch, because of injuries of whatever. But maybe he doesn't.

Does that make any sense?

I didn't say any of Babs comments. What did he say?

Guest Crymson

I don't hate Cleary. I do hate ungrateful, spiteful, keyboard warriors who are unable to appreciate the fact that the reason Cleary is so ineffective is because he has given quite literally everything his body has for this team.

I refuse to hate a player who has been a part of so many great moments for this team. I refuse to hate a player who continued to play in the 2009 playoffs - all the way to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals - with a double groin tear so bad he couldn't actually walk up a flight of stairs. I refuse to hate the player who laid out Phaneuf, fought Pronger, scored the winner in game 7 against the ducks.

I refuse to hate a player who took a slapshot to face and was eating through a straw for a month, who lost 20lbs of muscle that had taken a lifetime to build, and when he came back went straight to the front of the net again.

So all you internet tough guys who don't have a fraction of the heart, courage and toughness that Dan Cleary has displayed in the Red + White, I suggest you all STFU and show a bit of class, dignity and gratitude.

Agreed on his contributions, and I don't actually hate Cleary. I'm pissed that he is used in so ridiculous a manner by Babcock when it's clear that there are far better options, and that he was brought back for this season in the first place when it was clear to everyone that his time was past. It's simply easy to forget that this isn't Cleary's fault.

Cleary was my favorite player for several seasons, but his presence on the ice now results in nothing but frustration.

Guest Crymson

Taken from Malik. St. James is the author.

Ridiculous. Cleary cannot skate and cannot shoot. Exactly how does confidence play into the equation? And exactly how is it worth dragging Datsyuk down in order to squeeze a bit more production out of Cleary? How does that equation play out? Why was Abdelkader, whom Babcock raved so much about last season, suddenly exiled to the 4th line while Dan Cleary, who has half the points and none of the ancillary abilities, ends up playing with Datsyuk?

UGH.

Yea I'm sure it's been said in here but I also don't hate the guy. I have more ill feeling towards Holland for signing him than I do for Cleary. The guy played with so much heart and determination for so many seasons that his body is just worn down and he is half the player he used to be. He still gives it all every night bit his style of play has caused him to go down hill a lot faster than your average player. I wish Babs and Holland would cut the man love and open their eyes.

Helping Datsyuk is "probably more important in some ways than helping Cleary"?

What?

Is that a real Babcock quote?

I think maybe what he meant was helping Datsyuk is less of a concern because the idea of a player helping Datsyuk is sort of inherently silly. He's our best player, he and Zetterberg carry the team on their backs, they make the players around them better - they don't need much help. But in Cleary we've got a guy who desperately needs a boost, and if we could get him going, that would nothing but good for him and the team. (The reason we rag on him is because he's not contributing.) So, yes, helping Datsyuk, whether it's taking some of the load off his shoulders or perhaps making him even more dangerous, would be something you'd want to do, ideally. But is it something we can really do at the moment? Is it something we should really be worried about? Versus...there's a guy in the lineup who's not contributing at all, which is hurting our ability to roll four solid lines, which could - and probably has - cost us valuable points. So, in a way, that's "more important" than helping Datsyuk, at least at this point in time.

Edited by Dabura

I don't hate Cleary. I do hate ungrateful, spiteful, keyboard warriors who are unable to appreciate the fact that the reason Cleary is so ineffective is because he has given quite literally everything his body has for this team.

I refuse to hate a player who has been a part of so many great moments for this team. I refuse to hate a player who continued to play in the 2009 playoffs - all the way to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals - with a double groin tear so bad he couldn't actually walk up a flight of stairs. I refuse to hate the player who laid out Phaneuf, fought Pronger, scored the winner in game 7 against the ducks.

I refuse to hate a player who took a slapshot to face and was eating through a straw for a month, who lost 20lbs of muscle that had taken a lifetime to build, and when he came back went straight to the front of the net again.

So all you internet tough guys who don't have a fraction of the heart, courage and toughness that Dan Cleary has displayed in the Red + White, I suggest you all STFU and show a bit of class, dignity and gratitude.

wow, this has to be a nomination for worst post of the year. these guys get paid millions of dollars to play a game that many of us play for fun and for free. (heck with the cost of ice time, we mostly pay to play!) so excuse me if i dont get all humbled by someone playing injured. the way your post is written you would think they just freed kidnapped children or ended slavery or something.

additionally, just about everyone here has acknowledged they dont 'hate' dan cleary, they are just frustrated with his role on the team. many of us, myself included, actually acknowledge our problem isn't even really with cleary. its with the coach and gm for putting him out there when he shouldnt be.

the only person in this thread being an internet tough guy is you by implying that no one is entitled to dislike cleary because he has some sort of god-like status in your mind.

p.s. if this was some sort of sarcasm, i apologize... but it seems serious.

this has been touched on before.... but the unfortunate side effect of this situation is that a lot of hate for hollan and babcock gets displaced onto cleary. i don't blame clear for wanting to come back to detroit. nor do i blame him for skating on whatever line he is told to be on.

what angers me is that our gm would sign cleary knowing the roster problems it would create. the sad thing is that cleary isn't the worst contract up there as sammy is millions times worse.

the issue is exacerbated by babcock. instead of playing cleary like the 4th liner he is getting paid to be, he gets put out there in quality minutes with top tier linemates.

so i blame our gm for a bad signing and i blame our coach for misusing players. unfortunately, the player is the one that takes the blame publicly.

Sammy is 1.3 million times worse to be exact

Say that to my face, internet tough guy.

(jk)

Ha, fair enough. I like to think of myself as one of the more reasonable posters on here, but this thread touched a nerve I'm afraid.

wow, this has to be a nomination for worst post of the year

Excellent, that's twice in a month that I've been nominated, I've got a realgud chance of winning this year now!

Dan Cleary is the exact example of what is wrong with this team.

We can be grateful when he retires, until then he is an anchor dragging down the team.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Everybody around here is constantly pining for someone to stand up to those "bullying" our guys. Given how we've played this season, is there any bigger bully that the opposition goal? Cleary is a hero for standing up to the one thing that strikes terror into the 2013-14 Detroit Red Wings.