• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedWang

The Dan Cleary Hate Zone

Rate this topic

I don't know if it was just HBO trying to paint him as this leader on the team or if the rest of the team actually views him in this way, but that sort of a presence doesn't hurt the locker room, at least.

Cleary is a good locker room guy? Then maybe that's where they should leave him.

If we are planning on making the playoffs, it would behove us to keep Danny with our young roster of forwards and injury track record year-to-date.

True, and I doubt babcock would sit him anyway, judging on past history alone. Even despite all his struggles this season, he's only been a healthy scratch just the once

Edited by wings4thecup06

dont we already have someone just like that on our team doesnt do anything till playoffs?

see Johan Franzen

Franzen leads our team in regular season goals almost every year. Kinda hard to say he "doesn't do anything until the playoffs".

ya, because recently, Franzen hasn't done anything in the playoffs...

...regarding Cleary, he does seem to be a team leader in the room, and we know how important that can be, but he is wasting a roster spot, so after the season, he needs to retire and get one of those player development jobs or maybe even some kind of coaching position...

I don't understand why Babs isn't giving him more any rest. It's no secret that he was brought back mainly for the postseason. And it's also no secret that his body is failing him. I mean, I get that "you gotta earn your playoff minutes," but I thought the whole premise of Cleary being on the team is that "he's earned it."

But seeing him on the PP, regardless of our injuries, maddens me.

I can maybe kinda sorta see the logic behind putting him on the PP. What really gets me is this idea that putting him on the first line with Datsyuk is a good way to get our offense going.

"Hey, it worked four years ago, so why not now????"

I don't understand why Babs isn't giving him more any rest. It's no secret that he was brought back mainly for the postseason. And it's also no secret that his body is failing him. I mean, I get that "you gotta earn your playoff minutes," but I thought the whole premise of Cleary being on the team is that "he's earned it."

I can maybe kinda sorta see the logic behind putting him on the PP. What really gets me is this idea that putting him on the first line with Datsyuk is a good way to get our offense going.

"Hey, it worked four years ago, so why not now????"

Has he really played all that much with Datsyuk lately though? I mean, I know he did earlier but it seems like that's sort of a dated complaint lately.

I'm not really sure that's true. Or at least it's been kept a secret from me. I've never heard any quote to that effect.

You guys remember that scene in Little Big League, where Mac is telling Billy that if he's getting this excited over one single from his favorite player, that it might be time to let him go?

I think we've reached that point with Cleary. Sure, it was nice to see him put one in the net (it was a nice shot too!), but it's time to make the tough decision. (I can just picture Babs, "Somebody offered me a Mark Messier card for yours, and I wouldn't do it!")

True, but he played well on the PK, was out there in the final minute and did score a goal...

I'm not saying he should be re-signed though!

So, finally, after however many games, Cleary is finally turning into an average fourth liner? I don't like bashing players or being put in that crowd, but sometimes I feel like Babcock is using Cleary these ways just to piss fans off and show them who's boss. And when Cleary does score it makes me worry that just elongates his stay here.

And being out in the final minute means nothing to Babcock. He routinely puts Kindl, Smith, Cleary and whoever else is on the bubble out there. It's like he's daring the other team to tie it up half the time.

The young guys have already proven they are more effective in the NHL than cleary. Sheahan has been great, Jurco has produced, Glendening is all over the ice doing good things. If Cleary is re-signed I will likely light on fire from so much anger inside. I don't see how Ferraro isn't an improvement on him next year despite not playing an NHL regular season game yet.

I don't like bashing guys either, but as he's been given the ice time, let's at least praise the few things he has done right in the last couple of games. He may not have any worth offensively anymore, but at least he's not a black hole defensively.

I don't like bashing guys either, but as he's been given the ice time, let's at least praise the few things he has done right in the last couple of games. He may not have any worth offensively anymore, but at least he's not a black hole defensively.

He trails the play on the PK consistently - he is late to his point and then the dman has to step up and it leaves us open down low. He doesn't have the wheels to back check very well even though he does put the effort in trying to (unlike bert). And yes, considering his minutes and line mates he is s*** offensively (even though last night he scored).

He trails the play on the PK consistently - he is late to his point and then the dman has to step up and it leaves us open down low. He doesn't have the wheels to back check very well even though he does put the effort in trying to (unlike bert). And yes, considering his minutes and line mates he is s*** offensively (even though last night he scored).

I know he's been bad at times, and his body is failing him. For the record I was pretty annoyed when they re-signed him and I too will go nuts if that happens again. I guess we just have to live with the fact that he's not good anymore. After what he's done for this organisation, he doesn't deserve to be trashed, even if he is playing s***.

I understand why they signed him. He only got 1 year, at a cheaper price than other teams would have paid, and if we take the Cup this year Holland looks great.

But it backfired because he just isn't good enough this season, even at that price. I think that's about it.

As Clearly himself explained (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FggT39NPVG8), he actually wanted only a one year contract. Given that he also wants to be in Detroit longer, the only reason I can understand that he would take a shorter deal is that Detroit had a cap space crunch, but he believed he was worth more and that he could play well enough to earn more in his next contract.

I feel like it's similar to the situation in Ottawa, where Alfie took less money and then felt slighted when he wasn't given more to compensate in his next contract. I think Cleary has taken less with the impression that Detroit would "take care of him" with a bigger and/or longer contract afterwards.

Given the shape he's in though, it's hard to see if they could justify giving him another contract let alone a raise. That said, depending on other signings Detroit may have more roster room than they had this past year, when they had no space and still signed Cleary. Because of this I honestly think we will see him re-signed.

As Holland said at training camp "at some point and time as the season wears on or next summer, we'll try to find a way to keep him in a Red Wing uniform for longer than a year." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG6LST7PPLc

I can't see any other team offering him the kind of money that Philly apparently was going to, and so if Detroit does offer him a contract, I hope they come to terms on 1-year at about 1 million. At that rate, it's a low risk deal and I don't mind Cleary as a depth player as long as he's not taking a roster spot from someone who is already under contract.

As Clearly himself explained (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FggT39NPVG8), he actually wanted only a one year contract. Given that he also wants to be in Detroit longer, the only reason I can understand that he would take a shorter deal is that Detroit had a cap space crunch, but he believed he was worth more and that he could play well enough to earn more in his next contract.

I feel like it's similar to the situation in Ottawa, where Alfie took less money and then felt slighted when he wasn't given more to compensate in his next contract. I think Cleary has taken less with the impression that Detroit would "take care of him" with a bigger and/or longer contract afterwards.

Given the shape he's in though, it's hard to see if they could justify giving him another contract let alone a raise. That said, depending on other signings Detroit may have more roster room than they had this past year, when they had no space and still signed Cleary. Because of this I honestly think we will see him re-signed.

As Holland said at training camp "at some point and time as the season wears on or next summer, we'll try to find a way to keep him in a Red Wing uniform for longer than a year." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG6LST7PPLc

I can't see any other team offering him the kind of money that Philly apparently was going to, and so if Detroit does offer him a contract, I hope they come to terms on 1-year at about 1 million. At that rate, it's a low risk deal and I don't mind Cleary as a depth player as long as he's not taking a roster spot from someone who is already under contract.

Oh dear god no. Can we start a petition somehow to gain Holland's attention to the massive mistake he would be making? This would be absolutely atrocious. Cleary hasn't even earned his current contract. He can join the organization in another fashion and make money that way - I would love dan for that, but if he thinks (and gets) a longer and more expensive contract I will hide in a closet for the duration.

I actually thought the other day about what a team would be like if it was somewhat managed by fan voting - in the end it makes the masses happy and sells more tickets - a team with well-versed fans that watch their team avidly might actually do a decent job. Other markets this would be a disaster.

Oh dear god no. Can we start a petition somehow to gain Holland's attention to the massive mistake he would be making? This would be absolutely atrocious. Cleary hasn't even earned his current contract. He can join the organization in another fashion and make money that way - I would love dan for that, but if he thinks (and gets) a longer and more expensive contract I will hide in a closet for the duration.

I actually thought the other day about what a team would be like if it was somewhat managed by fan voting - in the end it makes the masses happy and sells more tickets - a team with well-versed fans that watch their team avidly might actually do a decent job. Other markets this would be a disaster.

It's an intriguing idea. If this forum is any indication, the masses would override Ken Holland's expressed wishes. On the other hand, he said these things in training camp after Cleary had a fairly impactful playoffs. So maybe even he will change his mind, if there are other options on the horizon.