• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#121 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

As Clearly himself explained (http://www.youtube.c...h?v=FggT39NPVG8), he actually wanted only a one year contract. Given that he also wants to be in Detroit longer, the only reason I can understand that he would take a shorter deal is that Detroit had a cap space crunch, but he believed he was worth more and that he could play well enough to earn more in his next contract.  

I feel like it's similar to the situation in Ottawa, where Alfie took less money and then felt slighted when he wasn't given more to compensate in his next contract. I think Cleary has taken less with the impression that Detroit would "take care of him" with a bigger and/or longer contract afterwards.

Given the shape he's in though, it's hard to see if they could justify giving him another contract let alone a raise. That said, depending on other signings Detroit may have more roster room than they had this past year, when they had no space and still signed Cleary. Because of this I honestly think we will see him re-signed.  

As Holland said at training camp "at some point and time as the season wears on or next summer, we'll try to find a way to keep him in a Red Wing uniform for longer than a year." http://www.youtube.c...h?v=mG6LST7PPLc

I can't see any other team offering him the kind of money that Philly apparently was going to, and so if Detroit does offer him a contract, I hope they come to terms on 1-year at about 1 million. At that rate, it's a low risk deal and I don't mind Cleary as a depth player as long as he's not taking a roster spot from someone who is already under contract.  

Oh dear god no. Can we start a petition somehow to gain Holland's attention to the massive mistake he would be making? This would be absolutely atrocious. Cleary hasn't even earned his current contract. He can join the organization in another fashion and make money that way - I would love dan for that, but if he thinks (and gets) a longer and more expensive contract I will hide in a closet for the duration. 

I actually thought the other day about what a team would be like if it was somewhat managed by fan voting - in the end it makes the masses happy and sells more tickets - a team with well-versed fans that watch their team avidly might actually do a decent job. Other markets this would be a disaster.

#122 larionov_8

larionov_8

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

Oh dear god no. Can we start a petition somehow to gain Holland's attention to the massive mistake he would be making? This would be absolutely atrocious. Cleary hasn't even earned his current contract. He can join the organization in another fashion and make money that way - I would love dan for that, but if he thinks (and gets) a longer and more expensive contract I will hide in a closet for the duration. 

I actually thought the other day about what a team would be like if it was somewhat managed by fan voting - in the end it makes the masses happy and sells more tickets - a team with well-versed fans that watch their team avidly might actually do a decent job. Other markets this would be a disaster.

It's an intriguing idea. If this forum is any indication, the masses would override Ken Holland's expressed wishes. On the other hand, he said these things in training camp after Cleary had a fairly impactful playoffs. So maybe even he will change his mind, if there are other options on the horizon.