• Please log in to reply
572 replies to this topic

#541 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:34 PM

I will admit im really starting to come around to brendan smith. Hes been playing great. Showing his offensive game, not making as many bad passes, and stepping up to Neil earned him alot of respect in my book. Quincey however continues to get worse.

#542 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:34 PM

Yeah Howard needs to win games, somehow. He can't be blamed for that 5-on-3 goal but imo the 3 others were possible saves. Okay the Smith bounce was real unlucky but I just get the sense Howard isn't really on his toes, he's not active, he's not finding the puck. Whenever a rebound goes out he has to search for the puck and then moves, he takes too long to recover from one save to the next. He made a huge save when it was 3-2 which I thought was great, giving us a chance. Then he fails to close down the 5-hole in close right afterwards and it's all for nothing. 

Monster isn't a rock, but he's been getting wins. I say play him tomorrow and if we win, keep him in the net for a bit. 

This game was SOOOO winnable. Ottawa players got in the heads of the Wings players though and we failed to score on the multidue of chances we had, plus we couldn't get the saves from Howie. Just tiny things here and there and we lose again.

Its frustrating since most of our loses have been winnable lets hope some of these games will even out going forward.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#543 CaliforniaWingsFan

CaliforniaWingsFan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:47 PM

Yeah Howard needs to win games, somehow. He can't be blamed for that 5-on-3 goal but imo the 3 others were possible saves. Okay the Smith bounce was real unlucky but I just get the sense Howard isn't really on his toes, he's not active, he's not finding the puck. Whenever a rebound goes out he has to search for the puck and then moves, he takes too long to recover from one save to the next. He made a huge save when it was 3-2 which I thought was great, giving us a chance. Then he fails to close down the 5-hole in close right afterwards and it's all for nothing. 

Monster isn't a rock, but he's been getting wins. I say play him tomorrow and if we win, keep him in the net for a bit. 

This game was SOOOO winnable. Ottawa players got in the heads of the Wings players though and we failed to score on the multidue of chances we had, plus we couldn't get the saves from Howie. Just tiny things here and there and we lose again. 

I completely agree. I love Howard, but he has not been good this year. Maybe this is coming from my expectations being too high based on his performance in the latter stages of last year through the playoffs. I do not have confidence in him at all though and maybe his problem is his confidence also. I'm not saying all the goals tonight are his fault; however, it just seems like there is always some excuse for him losing. You can only go so far to say it is bad luck or whatever and not blame the goalie. I just hope he steps it up soon because things are starting to get really ugly for this team.

#544 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:48 PM

I see Weiss and Cleary and Quincey still stink.

#545 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:53 PM

will be a while before wings are cup contenders again

#546 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

That felt like game 1 loss against Anaheim. This team is capable of good things just need some real motivation

#547 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:08 AM

I see Weiss and Cleary and Quincey still stink.

Weiss was really good in the 1st period. I'd like to see that line with someone other than Cleary.
Didn't notice him much in the 2nd and 3rd, but then again he didn't seem to get much if any PP/PK time, easing him back I guess.

#548 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

Ottawa was really holding and hooking all game long. I think by the end of it Wings were getting frustrated and felt they had to dive for the refs to notice. Felt like a playoff game. Sometimes Wings get away with playing soft but they are capable of being tough

#549 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

Every major chance the wings got they sent either high or wide. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#550 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

Heh....JR says the Wings suck this year? I suppose he knows a lot about that...

They don't, they just are ignoring the absolute necessity of tweaks and changes. Status Quo approaches are going to put the team in the basement. 

#551 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:34 AM

More bad news:

Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive 12m

Wings said Pavel Datsyuk won't play Sunday at Buffalo after taking that elbow to the head from Jared Cowen.

Wings are taking necessary precuation with Datsyuk, in case he has concussion.

This too:

Ken Holland said Daniel Alfredsson will replace Datsyuk in the lineup. Alfredsson missed five games with a groin pull.

Weiss talked about he and Alfredsson lobbying to play tonight.  Now that Dats is out Alfie is ready to go.  It sure feels like there's an element of roster management with these injuries.   I'm not saying the guys aren't injured.  But when they get into the lineup sure seems to be a little shady.

#552 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:37 AM

More bad news:

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 12m
Wings said Pavel Datsyuk won't play Sunday at Buffalo after taking that elbow to the head from Jared Cowen.

Wings are taking necessary precuation with Datsyuk, in case he has concussion.

This too:

Ken Holland said Daniel Alfredsson will replace Datsyuk in the lineup. Alfredsson missed five games with a groin pull.

Weiss talked about he and Alfredsson lobbying to play tonight.  Now that Dats is out Alfie is ready to go.  It sure feels like there's an element of roster management with these injuries.   I'm not saying the guys aren't injured.  But when they get into the lineup sure seems to be a little shady.

They weren't on LTIR so I don't think it actually helps to have them out of the lineup. Gives an extra roster spot but without cash to call anyone up we can't use it anyway. So I say 'no' to that conspiracy.

Sucks about Datsyuk. Hope it's just for one game. We should be able to beat Buffalo without him, but who knows with this team.

Let's see:

Franzen-Z-Alfie
Tatar-Weiss-Nyquist

Edited by dat's sick, 24 November 2013 - 12:39 AM.

#553 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:41 AM

They weren't on LTIR so I don't think it actually helps to have them out of the lineup. Gives an extra roster spot but without cash to call anyone up we can't use it anyway. So I say 'no' to that conspiracy.

Sucks about Datsyuk. Hope it's just for one game. We should be able to beat Buffalo without him, but who knows with this team.

Let's see:

Franzen-Z-Alfie
Tatar-Weiss-Nyquist

Yeah, without LTIR I know it doesn't help cap wise, but I wasn't sure if they needed that with DD on LTIR and Tootoo and Eaves waived.  I thought it was just roster spots.

but honestly I get pretty confused about the roster/cap implications of all these moves. 

#554 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

Im thinking if Detroit had played anyone but Ottawa then Alfie would have been in. For how bad he played the first game against them I am thinking they didnt aant more stress added for his first game back after injury. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#555 thebadguy007

thebadguy007

Jr. Prospect

• 25 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:03 AM

Jimmy Howard is a 6 million Dollar goalie wow a waste of money five more years of this crap

#556 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:14 AM

It would have at least been exciting with Glendening, Tootoo out there instead of Sammy, Cleary.  Someone may have actually stopped Ottawa from all that "extra" stuff.

Let's see:

Franzen-Z-Alfie
Tatar-Weiss-Nyquist

your top 6 is missing a certain player....

Edited by ben_usmc, 24 November 2013 - 01:12 AM.

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#557 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:20 AM

Thank God we are only playing Buffalo tomorrow... we should still be able to win that game without Pasha... I think Pasha will be fine come Wednesday I think it is just the team making sure, which I would rather them do.

After viewing this game, it is apparent that the Sens are a bunch of hacks, and just take runs at our top guys the entire game... like honestly what a bunch of goons. I really hope the Wings get their fully healthy team back by the time we play in Ottawa so that we can just destroy them because, despite us losing both times, our full lineup, when on its game, is far far better then the Sens.

Another thing, Howard isn't giving us wins. He is not to blame for us losing, but his stats don't lie... he hasn't been playing like we know (and he knows) he can be. Monster has won just one less game then Howard for crying out loud and, in doing so, one of those wins was solely because of Monster playing super good. So, if you ask me, Monster should be getting the start tomorrow and if he gets us a win, then Babs should continue to ride him. It is time to stop just letting everyone play as if they have earned the right and time to start to make these players earn their time.

#558 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:57 AM

It would have at least been exciting with Glendening, Tootoo out there instead of Sammy, Cleary.  Someone may have actually stopped Ottawa from all that "extra" stuff.

your top 6 is missing a certain player....

Cleary? He's our Newman

#559 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:11 AM

Kenny has now 6 days in order to prepare for a huge statement game (not scorewise). Shed whatever salary can be shed, send the non producing players to the AHL/put them on waivers get McKee up, sign a top 3 enforcer tell them:,,no matter what the league is trying to tell you, EVERYTHING goes you'll be paid even if suspended just do the ......insert job....on Neil, Spezza or Karlsson tell McKee to crash Cowen through the glass Charastyle, crosscheck Karlsson everytime he is one the ice and nominate Lehner/Andersson for getting kronwall(ed).

This will be a game where I honestly don't care about two points, the DetroitRedWings need a huge statement game and if they don't react after this, Kenny deserves to be fired. An original 6 team getting pushed around at home, by a wannabe tough team thats unacceptable. If I am Babcock I'd be storming into Kennys office and tell him to either get me some tough, mean SOBS asap or I am out of here.

How did the enforcer called PP work? Not very well and it's gotten worse every year since the perfect human and Holmer retired!

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#560 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

No Bert and no Tootoo means other teams run amok with complete freedom to elbow our best players in the head and slash at least three players in the legs, with no penalties, and worse, no response from the players on the ice.  Bert is the best we have in terms of showing some grit, let's face it.

And then the Sens complain that the Wings dive, in a game they won.  :sleepy:  No one ever said hockey players are smart, necessarily.

No respect for Giggles and his walrus-like coach.  Wings better get a game plan together for December 1 in Ottawa, or it's not gonna be pretty.  I've seen this team, first-hand, cave in to the home team when the returning "traitor" player is on the ice and the Wings ought to show up for him.  Not pretty at all.  :scared:

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever