• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NyquistianDeke

Datsyuk concussion: To Return Tuesday

Rate this topic

Either way some people need to stop living in the past.

I don't think it's necessarily that people are living in the past. I think it's more that our team has been neutered and forced to go without an easy fix to a potentially crippling weakness, which just adds more fuel to the our-team-has-been-poorly-managed fire.

I doubt anyone on the ice or on the bench realized what happened in the moment. Would someone have gone after Cowen if they did? Maybe, maybe not.

Since when did enforcing cheap shots become a thing of the past?

9/10 teams will protect and get retribution for their team-mates.

I don't want to make too big a deal out of last night's lost, but I will say...you hope this wasn't a "reverse-statement game." One that tells every team in the league: push this team around. Take it to them. Rough them up. You can get away with it (re: the officiating and our sorry-ass power play that's supposed to be our big enforcer/deterrent).

I doubt anyone on the ice or on the bench realized what happened in the moment. Would someone have gone after Cowen if they did? Maybe, maybe not.

Why? Are you offended? I enjoyed watching THAT team. I don't enjoy watching THIS team get their asses handed to them.

Edited by Hockeymom1960

just an example:

cheapshot Kessel......answer to Orr, Frazer, McLaren or Clarkson

cheapshot Monahan, Bärtschi......answer to McGrattan

cheapshot Landeskog.....answer to Bordeleau

cheapshot Krug..answer to Thornton, Lucic, McQuaid and Chara

cheapshot PD....answer to .....no....ah yes the superb powerplay blowing 5 on 3s........body

Since when did enforcing cheap shots become a thing of the past?

9/10 teams will protect and get retribution for their team-mates.

Not after this kind of hit. Who the hell even saw it the first time? Had Datsyuk stayed down after the Methot hit I'm fairly sure someone would have gone after him. Not Mccarty on Lemieux jumped him, but gotten up in his face atleast. Ericsson, Smith, Abdelkader, Miller, Bert(when in) can all challenge guys. Yeah we don't have a Kocur but who the hell does? Mccarty was also pretty unique. People freak out everytime we have a game where we look 'weak'. Worst part this time is that we are freaking out because we lost against Ottawa. A seriously awful team whose 1 great player is a soft as jelly smooth-skating SWEDISH d-man. But I guess some think Neil is their MVP.

I'll be clear, I have nothing against having 1-2 tougher guys on the 4th line. Obviously having Sammy there is awful. Tootoo is the quick fix. But until the salary cap is lifted we're not gonna have several goons or the extremely rare skilled+tough guys as well as highly skilled players. We are what we are. We are far from perfect but becoming more skilled and better at beating teams with skill is a much, much more realistic scenario than trying to swing huge trades for big forwards and enforcers and etc.

Edited by dat's sick

Not after this kind of hit. Who the hell even saw it the first time? Had Datsyuk stayed down after the Methot hit I'm fairly sure someone would have gone after him. Not Mccarty on Lemieux jumped him, but gotten up in his face atleast. Ericsson, Smith, Abdelkader, Miller, Bert(when in) can all challenge guys. Yeah we don't have a Kocur but who the hell does? Mccarty was also pretty unique. People freak out everytime we have a game where we look 'weak'. Worst part this time is that we are freaking out because we lost against Ottawa. A seriously awful team whose 1 great player is a soft as jelly smooth-skating SWEDISH d-man. But I guess some think Neil is their MVP.

I wish we went after Karlsson a bit seeing as they went after Z, Dats, and an oft injured Helm. Karlsson is the kind of player who really gets off his game when you play him physical. Would have liked to have Abby finish some checks and mix it up a bit with him to see if he can get his blood running.

I just want this team to stand up for themselves and each other. I don't want this snarling, get-in-your-face crap that Sammuelson pulls thinking he's tough either. I don't care if it makes a difference in the outcome of the game. But what it does show other teams they can take advantage of this team and hurt them with no retribution. Ooooh that guy that hurt our guy will get 5-6 games but that doesn't help our guy that's out hurt for who knows how many games or our team, does it.

Ok off my soapbox for now :lol:

@SunGarrioch: Doesn't appear to be any supplementary discipline for Senators D Jared Cowen. No hearing scheduled today. #Sens

And we'll just roll over...

@SunGarrioch: Doesn't appear to be any supplementary discipline for Senators D Jared Cowen. No hearing scheduled today. #Sens

In a way, I'm glad. I feel like discipline would just lead certain teams to want to take it to us even harder. If that makes any sense.

Hahahaha, you don't know Kenny "physical violence makes me wet myself" Holland, do you. The Ottawa players could've had samurai swords decapitating players and Holland would have said that we'll make them pay on the powerplay ... assuming that there were no arrests, which is not a given.

There is a reason that an elbow to the head of your best player passes without reprisal....

Give an NHL team an inch, they'll punch your grandmother in the back of her head ... or at least Neil would, and probably has - his own.

Ha.

Poor grandma neil.

Honestly I can understand why KH is hesitant to add an enforcer to the lineup, the direction the leagues heading is a European style of play, more skill, less grit.

The only problem is its not there yet, and we need someone to protect our small, skilled players.

But I don't think it will happen, just wondering if anyone else has a reason to believe wed try.

I don't expect this to be a popular opinion but I really don't think the elbow was that bad. It should have been a penalty but no more.

It seemed to not fully connect and thus had no real force behind it. His head barely even moved let-alone snap back.

Unfortunately players don't get suspended for intention. Sure Datsyuk is out today but I think that's just precautionary.

Unfortunately players don't get suspended for intention.

This is what bothers me most about the discipline in the league. If you want to make the game safer you have to punish the hit not the result of it.

Watching McCarty and Kocur and Yzerman makes me crazy nostalgic.

In regards to Cowen's elbow on Pav and the lack of reaction from the guys, brutal and I think if Bert was in Cowen would have had to answer for it. Y'all say that we have nobody who's willing to step up and defend our stars but there's been plenty of games where someone took a run at Dats and Bertuzzi is always there instantly. He might not always drop the gloves but he makes his presence known.

Is it wrong of me being more pissed about the non reaction to the Pasha incident than the loss? Having a hard time, liking this team now.

Anyway 6 days from now, thats what I want to see:

Yeah with our "tough" give it back lineup…who can fight

Smith ..meh

Big Rig ..meh

Todd..meh

Sammy ..only if he punches a logo

Cleary ..if they can punch while falling and laying on the ice.

We dont have the Macs, Shannys anymore to quell the BS that we saw Saturday night anymore.

I don't expect this to be a popular opinion but I really don't think the elbow was that bad. It should have been a penalty but no more.

It seemed to not fully connect and thus had no real force behind it. His head barely even moved let-alone snap back.

Unfortunately players don't get suspended for intention. Sure Datsyuk is out today but I think that's just precautionary.

It definitely should have been a penalty, as was not. We agree there. I also agree that it did not fully connect and could have been much worse. I do not agree that it had no real force behind it, though. I don't think Datsyuk would have gone down OR missed the next game (precaution or no) if he didn't feel something there. His head didn't snap back mostly because it was a glancing blow to the side of the head.

Players do not get suspended for intent alone. The intent was obviously there. Cowen stuck his elbow out very obviously and it was not a natural thing to do in that situation. He clearly and purposefully gave Datsyuk the elbow. And, he connected with it.... to the head. So, it wasn't just intent. There WAS intent to hit with the elbow AND the elbow hit the head. And. Dastyuk missed time as a result of the hit.... while I do not necessarily agree that should come into play when considering the suspension, it very clearly has come into play historically.

If Cowen doesn't get suspended, the NHL again proves itself to be a bunch of inconsistent hypocrites.

Let's keep this thread on topic, and talk about Datsyuk's injury. Are there any new updates? Babs texted him and said he is doing "just fine".

I'm thinking about buying tickets for the Bruins game on Wednesday, and Datsyuk playing or not is the dealbreaker.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1h

Per Ken Holland: Pavel Datsyuk day to day, feels pretty good, we'll see what tomorrow brings; Todd Bertuzzi out for Wednesday.

In terms of protecting players heads, the league has been wildly inconsistent (even more than their normal rulings) in how they deal with elbows to the head.

I don't think this was like Chelios flying at Propp or anything, but it wasn't accidental either. Cowen clearly chicken-winged and clipped Dats in the head.

Now one of the most entertaining players in the NHL is missing games with concussion-like symptoms and we're waiting to see if it means for a few games or if this will impact the rest of his career.