• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NyquistianDeke

Datsyuk concussion: To Return Tuesday

Rate this topic

In terms of protecting players heads, the league has been wildly inconsistent (even more than their normal rulings) in how they deal with elbows to the head.

I don't think this was like Chelios flying at Propp or anything, but it wasn't accidental either. Cowen clearly chicken-winged and clipped Dats in the head.

Now one of the most entertaining players in the NHL is missing games with concussion-like symptoms and we're waiting to see if it means for a few games or if this will impact the rest of his career.

:no:

I am still extremely pissed about this, oh yeah let's wait for the league and hope they'll do something? Do this against the TorontoMapleLeafs and Cowen would leave the game on a stretcher, take a note from them on how to build a team Kenny, seriously our best playera nd probably the guy with the best hands in all of hockey is OUT with concussion like symptoms. Him Danny K, Z and the monster are the only reason why this team is sometimes watchable this season.....

5 days to and counting DOWN to get someone that will strike fear into this joke of an expansion team, even with their tough guys Neil and Kassasian on their team. Whom am I kidding, I am sure because of the "cap" - yeah 0,6 - 1kk - is too much investment in order to proect the team, he will not sign an enforcer.

Maybe the Senators need to call up Kassasian too and take Z out with a concussion, even then I am not sure Kenny + the anti fighting/grit crowd will agree with me and to be honest I don't ......care.

Get well soon Pasha you are one of the only reasons to watch this soft euro styled edition.

Edited by frankgrimes

Silver lining time:

Leave him out until next week and get more out of the secondary scoreres. They'll absolutely have to pick up their game. Weiss, Alfredssonn, Mule, Helm, Nyquist, Tatar.

Best case scenario is that this team finds it's scoring legs without Pavel, and are that much better when he comes back.

Silver lining time:

Leave him out until next week and get more out of the secondary scoreres. They'll absolutely have to pick up their game. Weiss, Alfredssonn, Mule, Helm, Nyquist, Tatar.

Best case scenario is that this team finds it's scoring legs without Pavel, and are that much better when he comes back.

If him and Z wouldn't carrying their lines this team would be even more lost than they already are. Expecting Nyquist and Tatar to bring it every night is unfair, they are still rookies but Alfie and Weiss + Mule have to step up now no question.

If him and Z wouldn't carrying their lines this team would be even more lost than they already are. Expecting Nyquist and Tatar to bring it every night is unfair, they are still rookies but Alfie and Weiss + Mule have to step up now no question.

I expect Z to carry this team while Pav's out. But he needs help, big time. Alfie and Mule have been contributing. They need to keep it up, and Weiss needs to pot a few.

Silver lining time:

The only one of those who needs to pick it up is Weiss, and he's stuck with Cleary and Sammy for now. Mule - Z - Goose has been a great line, Alfie is 3rd? in scoring, Helm is scoring despite not being a scorer. Tatar could do with a few more points but he had a great game Sunday.

Apparently Shanny was just interviewed on NHL network and called out on the non-suspension for the Dats hit. Sounds like he's catching a ton of flack for not suspending Cowen and admitted he called Holland and apologized. I can't find a link, just people tweeting about it...

Example

@Kayluvsredwings: Shanny said he called Holland and basically told him his side, but also apologized. Didnt tell us what Holland said back to him.

Edit:

Hmm...

@georgemalik: What happens when Brendan Shanahan calls you to speak about Datsyuks injury/Cowens non-suspension http://t.co/ITPzyv4kta

Edit again because I'm cranky about this, but I would have asked Shanny about the "thought process" behind the non-suspension on Weber. But then again I'm a *****, so...

Edited by BottleOfSmoke

The only one of those who needs to pick it up is Weiss, and he's stuck with Cleary and Sammy for now. Mule - Z - Goose has been a great line, Alfie is 3rd? in scoring, Helm is scoring despite not being a scorer. Tatar could do with a few more points but he had a great game Sunday.

Even so, they're all gonna have to push themselves to be (even) better. I'm with zombo: (even) more secondary scoring will only help this team in the long run.

With that in mind, the guy who interests me the most right now: Darren Helm. He's not really a second-line center, but more and more I'm thinking he might actually be the right guy for the role. Mental lapses aside, he has really impressed me. And I was already a huge fan.

Kerry Fraser's take on the play, which pretty much sums it up for me:

I say it's time to alter the thought process in situations such as this. No matter how you spin it, the irrefutable evidence is that Pavel Datsyuk's head became the sole point of contact when Jared Cowen made a poor decision to extend his elbow and delivered the late, illegal contact. Datsyuk sustained an injury resulting from Cowen's elbow to the head.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=437641

Cowen may not have intended to catch Dats in the head, but he intentionally threw an elbow. When you add to that the league's policy of taking the injury into consideration (which is one I disagree with), Cowen should've been suspended.

If he doesn't throw the elbow, there's no concussion regardless of the move Datsyuk made.