• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LAWings

As a sports team owner...

Rate this topic

in my fantasy league, I noticed an interesting parallel with the Wings lineup. If anyone has ever played one season of any fantasy sports, you'll understand the time involved drafting and keeping your team. The comparison is that Detroit has a glut of players, we over signed and then "had to make the hard choices" about "putting the best team on the ice". Much like a fantasy owner does. However, I have agonized about dropping someone when I had a player coming off IR. I felt all my players are so good, that by dropping anyone, another team will autmatically pick them up and make them a better team because of it.

When I finally drop someone, they never get picked up, they just sit there. Why, did I over value and inflate the importance and strengths this player has to offer my roster? I started seeting the connection with the Red Wings approach, Holland and Babs think so highly of some of these guys, but when they are put on waivers they clear. Apparently 29 other GMs do not think some of our players are special and here in lies the problem if our GM and coach cannot value a player properly or see the contribution they make. No one even offered Cleary a contract, Eaves and Tootoo cleared waivers. Who else is valueless? I think guys like Miller, Lashoff, and possibly even Erricson and Abdelkader, and the NTC untouchables of Bert and Sammy, even if those guys waived their NTC nobody would touch them.

So is the Wings management dellusional about moves and signings they make?

:nhl:

It's a good point.

Personally, I could live without about half the guys on this roster, maybe more. There's so much dead weight, and/or profound underachievers (e.g. Kindl).

You know, it's weird. We don't think of Babs and Holland (mostly the latter, because he builds the team) as risk-takers, and yet, if you look at our team, on paper...it's like, our core + ...a big black hole. Point being, if anything, maybe there's been too much risk? Going with too many guys who would need to play to their maximum potential for us to even get a whiff of the Conference Finals (which is basically what happened last season. A lot of overachieving. Which was great, but probably not sustainable.)

There are plenty of reasons players don't get picked up off waivers, including the fact that many owners are like you: they have anxiety about getting rid of their own players. It's not like they don't already have full rosters themselves that they too are enamored with.

Ericsson and Abby would absolutely get offers. Lashoff and Miller likely would too.

You also have to remember that nearly half the league is jammed right up against the cap because of the new CBA. If Holland had left himself some room he might've had some leverage in deals for a change.