• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

I'd like to talk about this off-season/next season

Rate this topic

I'm a huge Tatar fan, but too many times this season he has looked like a boy among men.

This is Holland's fault. You can leave someone in the AHL all you want to develop but the game is different in the NHL and you have to expect he will need some time to find his game at this level regardless of his age.

I really wish there was a better option than Bert next year but who knows. Yes he brings assets but he is so slow and gives up the puck so frequently that his role in the game the rest of the Wings are aiming for (speed, puck position) is diminished.

I think they'd bring Alfie back if he wants to play.

Cleary should be done unless he has a major resurrection this year.

I think some options upfront in the UFA pool that might bring some scoring depth include:

- Setogouchi, WPG
- Kulemin, TOR
- Moulson, BUF

All of these guys have some size and can score. I'd love to see Kuli along with one other guy. Setoguchi in particular might be a good "project" for Det.

On D I agree the pickings are slim. I think a solid veteran guy is the answer. Matt Greene comes to mind, Michigan guy, 30, a big defensive guy, but I imagine he'll earn more than his 3 million now, and that LA probably want to hold onto him. Failing this kind of player I still think that adding a stable defensive guy to be 6/7, add depth and mentor Lashoff, to play along Smith, etc. -- essentially do what I think Quincey isn't able too -- that would be an asset to this team.

if Holland doesn't do any boneheaded signings next year, we would have 15 million in cap space to replenish the gaps in the roster.

15 million is what we get by saying good bye to Cleary, Bertuzzi, Quincey, Sammy and Alfredsson

The only must sign guy is DD

of course, at least 2 of these above will be resigned, you can bet on it

Edited by Spongewingredpants

This is Holland's fault. You can leave someone in the AHL all you want to develop but the game is different in the NHL and you have to expect he will need some time to find his game at this level regardless of his age.

Jesus lol Tatar isn't some blue chip prospect that was a guaranteed good NHLer. The fact that he can come up as a rookie and be part of a great 3rd line and contribute is all you can ask of him and not something he would have been able to do without his time in GR. Same goes for Nyquist. He stepped in and looks like a mature NHLer. Had they not stayed in GR for so long there would be a lot more growing pains. I think Holland and everyone's philosophy works great with developing late picks and getting the most out of them

if Holland doesn't do any boneheaded signings next year, we would have 15 million in cap space to replenish the gaps in the roster.

15 million is what we get by saying good bye to Cleary, Bertuzzi, Quincey, Sammy and Alfredsson

The only must sign guy is DD

of course, at least 2 of these above will be resigned, you can bet on it

If Alfredsson doesn't come back, it's because we've won the Stanley Cup. I'll be sorry not to see him back, but its a trade-off I'd be willing to make :P

FWIW, Malik thinks we might try for Edler again, at or around the trade deadline.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/red-wings-senators-set-up-and-overnight-report-its-also-about-us

I believe we're a top-four defenseman away from being a legitimate contender. The concern, of course, would be what we'd be parting with.

I know he's had some good seasons for Vancouver, but I've seen enough of him to know he makes stupid decisions every now and again, and isn't super consistent. Those facts coupled with a 5mil cap hit make me not interested, but I'm sure Kenny will be.

I've wanted Edler for a while I think he'd fit in nicely. I know Vancouver really needs goal scorers. No idea what it would take. I'd be willing to part with Tatar but not Nyquist

I respectfully disagree. We have heaps of one dimensional bottom 6 plugs that we could unload before giving away one of our youngest, most promising offensive sparks.

Tats is only a rookie and he makes things happen every shift. He has hands, speed, isnt affraid to shoot, and has a nose for the net. In a couple years when his big boy puck composure comes in, that dudes gonna really be somethin.

Id never trade him away at this point. But thats just me I guess.

I respectfully disagree. We have heaps of one dimensional bottom 6 plugs that we could unload before giving away one of our youngest, most promising offensive sparks.

Tats is only a rookie and he makes things happen every shift. He has hands, speed, isnt affraid to shoot, and has a nose for the net. In a couple years when his big boy puck composure comes in, that dudes gonna really be somethin.

Id never trade him away at this point. But thats just me I guess.

While then you're not getting Edler for our bottom 6 plugs unless maybe they'll take Weiss. I think Vancouver would want impact players. Vancouver would probably want Nyquist he's making some noise around the NHL Edited by joesuffP

While then you're not getting Edler for our bottom 6 plugs unless maybe they'll take Weiss. I think Vancouver would want impact players. Vancouver would probably want Nyquist he's making some noise around the NHL

I agree with that, theyre definitely not giving him away for spare parts. But the only two id prefer us not part with are Nyquist, Tatar. When mantha and jurco get here were gonna have some offensive prowess. As much as I like him thses days, maybe a straight up Smith for Edler?

I guess the official story is that we've been high on Edler for a long while now. We were going to take him in the draft (Hakan liked him), but we lost out and took Franzen instead. Then, years later, we tried to trade for him, but the Canucks wanted four pieces (one of them being a first-round pick), which was one or two too many for Kenny.

I do think trading for Edler is something we should very seriously consider. He wouldn't come in and replace Kronwall as our #1 on the back end, but he would give us an actual top four, which we don't have right now. As I've said before, we have a top three and a black hole. If winning (the Cup) now is something we want to be truly serious about, we need a solid top four. We seem to have sort of the "inside track" on Edler, which is great because it's virtually impossible to acquire a top-four defenseman these days. So, to me, this seems like it might have the potential to be kinda sorta maybe a gift from The Hockey Gods. Or a slightly Babcockian Opportunity/piece of cheese that's there for the taking, if you want it enough. Or something.

One thing to consider about Edler: he's 27. So, probably heading into his prime. (Ericsson didn't come around until he was 28ish, which is pretty much normal for defensemen.)

Guest mjtm77

Then we are pretty much locked up for a while with all our useless players coming off the books and we'd have money to sign a guy like Vanek or Moulson. Just re-do that whole Weiss signing and forget it ever happened

I wish. I'm afraid my friend that Weiss will be stuck here for 4 more seasons. Will he pick up his game? Who knows. He sure looks god awful, I have my doubts for him.