No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

I'd like to talk about this off-season/next season

Rate this topic

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

CapGeek Armchair GM Lineup

FORWARDS

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Thomas Vanek ($9.500m)

Tomas Tatar ($1.200m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)

Riley Sheahan ($0.715m) / Luke Glendening ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)

Danny DeKeyser ($2.150m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)

Dan Girardi ($6.750m) / Adam Almquist ($0.700m)

Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

Thomas Greiss ($0.900m)

BUYOUTS

Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)

Jordin Tootoo ($0.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,839,545; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,260,455

I would kill for this roster next season. Everyone is talking about waiting for the kids and save money for the kids but then turn around and it's ZOMG Pav and Z are getting old time is running out we need to win now. Let's do both. I feel like I overpaid for Vanek and Girardi to getthem to come here, on two year deals. Bert back on a year to year basis. We all know Kenny will leave Jurco, Mantha, Sproul and Ouellet in the minors long enough to drive us all nuts so why not have stars taking their spots instead of plugs? By the time Kenny feels like they're ready Vanek and Girardi's contracts will be up and we'll have kid replacements.

Also say this roster wins us the cup next year and the kids seem ready, the two year deals enable us be sellers at the 2015/2016 season trade deadline with one or both of those guys. I feel like we have enough depth to do that and not hurt the team too much, while we get picks to restock the farm system.

Obviously lines are arbitrary but if Weiss can put it together this is what I'd like to see.

Guest DeGraa55

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

CapGeek Armchair GM Lineup

FORWARDS

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Thomas Vanek ($9.500m)

Tomas Tatar ($1.200m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)

Riley Sheahan ($0.715m) / Luke Glendening ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)

Danny DeKeyser ($2.150m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)

Dan Girardi ($6.750m) / Adam Almquist ($0.700m)

Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

Thomas Greiss ($0.900m)

BUYOUTS

Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)

Jordin Tootoo ($0.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,839,545; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,260,455

I would kill for this roster next season. Everyone is talking about waiting for the kids and save money for the kids but then turn around and it's ZOMG Pav and Z are getting old time is running out we need to win now. Let's do both. I feel like I overpaid for Vanek and Girardi to getthem to come here, on two year deals. Bert back on a year to year basis. We all know Kenny will leave Jurco, Mantha, Sproul and Ouellet in the minors long enough to drive us all nuts so why not have stars taking their spots instead of plugs? By the time Kenny feels like they're ready Vanek and Girardi's contracts will be up and we'll have kid replacements.

Also say this roster wins us the cup next year and the kids seem ready, the two year deals enable us be sellers at the 2015/2016 season trade deadline with one or both of those guys. I feel like we have enough depth to do that and not hurt the team too much, while we get picks to restock the farm system.

Obviously lines are arbitrary but if Weiss can put it together this is what I'd like to see.

I think we need a good scoring winger or two but no one is worth 9.5m right now. I would like vanek but cheaper.

The other thing is you don't pay someone 6m to be on the third pairing on d. Especially when we got kindl lashoff and slmquist who could fill that role in the short term longer term oullete and Sproul. Instead of spending that much on a d I'd. Rather see us trade for a good winger or buy another one along with vanek. We have the depth and skill at d we need help up front....and it doesn't need to be pass first two way playing guys either. We have enough we need one or two legitimate scoring threats and if they have size....EVEN BETTER.

Edited by DeGraa55

I agree that no one is worth 9.5m right now, or maybe ever, but with the increase in cap and lack of star FA's I could see Vanek getting 8.5-9. And to get him to come here over Minnesota we'll have to over pay.

You're right about Girardi, I honestly didn't give the D pairs much thought. In my perfect world it would be Kronner-DK, Girardi-Smith, E-Almquist. E with Almquist because they will never see the other teams stars, making it easier for E to compensate for Almquist's defensive shortcomings. Also I really don't see Kindl as part of the future on our blue line so I traded him so I could use his cap space.

If the D remains how it is this year so we can get two scoring wingers, there's really not many viable options. While I'm all for power forwards and would love to have one, the reality is they're not available. Teams just don't trade them. So the only real ways to get one are to develop one (I still have my hopes up for Frk) or the FA market. The only decent gritty "power forward" that could hit the market in my opinion is Callahan. I don't see him leaving New York and even if he did I think he would disappoint here offensively. As far as non power forward scorers go Gaborik could be an option, but all he brings is offense and even that has been underwhelming lately. Moulson could be an option to play on the first line bit he reminds me of a more awkward version of Franzen and I'm not a huge fan. The three best options in my opinion are Vanek, Marleau, and Steen. I'd be happy with any combination of them.

All of that said though I think Girardi over Kindl makes us better than Marleau/Steen over Bertuzzi (assuming he's who we wouldn't sign) would.

George's crazy theory: what the Wings really need is a #3 defenseman [Malik]

We need a solid top-four defenseman very, very badly. If we're gonna land one, it's probably gonna have to be via trade. I like George's idea: Alex Edler. He's struggling badly right now, and there's a long history of us being interested in him (wanted to draft him, later almost traded for him). I think I've said this before, but I wonder if they'd take something like Quincey + Kindl + Pulkkinen + 1st. I realize that would take a bite out of our depth on the back end, but we've got several young studs who are very close to making the jump to the big league. And I realize we'd probably have to move some more salary to to be able to fit Edler in (haven't done the math), but I trust Holland would be able to work something out if it meant solidifying our top-four.

If there's one guy who wants Dan Girardi on the Wings, it's this guy. *points to himself* But it seems so exceedingly unlikely that I'm basically not even considering it an option. Same with Callahan. (Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Callahan would be the best line in hockey.) They'll both re-sign with the Rags, and Richards will almost certainly be bought out. Like I said earlier, I can see Holland kicking Richards' tires, especially if Weiss doesn't turn things around.

Also, the Vanek-to-Minnesota thing is essentially a media invention. I'm not saying it definitely won't happen, but this is definitely a case of some guy saying, "Well this and that and that and this, so it's possible that [insert possibility]," and then the entire hockey world latching onto it as fact. There was, I think, a lot more substance to the Suter-and-Parise-to-Minny hype.

Personally, I see him - Vanek - going to one of the top teams. My gut says the Penguins. I don't know if that'd be do-able, because I don't really know their cap situation, because I hate them. But my gut says it's black and gold for Vanek. He's had his fill of craptastic hockey. He's in his prime. He wants to win.

Ya, but would the Isle's trade to the Pens?

I see the Minny angle a little more believable, maybe Vanek for Heatley...both pending UFA's...

Would love Vanek on the Wings, maybe even Brad Richards for a year trial period.

This off season, with the cap going up and so many teams already better than the Wings looking to tweak their roster's to put them over, I can see prices going WAY up in bidding wars. Holland may have to ditch the "We're the Red Wings" approach and start out-bidding other teams. If Minny can add another top scorer and more, hell they got $23M available to them next season, and oh BTW they STILL have Parise and Suter...sure wish we could've landed them now. Those are LONG contracts, but all of a sudden they don't look so bad...are there anymore Olsen Twins out there that are looking to play together for the next 6 years?

If there's one guy who wants Dan Girardi on the Wings, it's this guy. *points to himself* But it seems so exceedingly unlikely that I'm basically not even considering it an option. Same with Callahan. (Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Callahan would be the best line in hockey.) They'll both re-sign with the Rags, and Richards will almost certainly be bought out. Like I said earlier, I can see Holland kicking Richards' tires, especially if Weiss doesn't turn things around.

Up until the new TV deal it could have been possible to get one of those guys - but with the sharp rise in cap they will retain them (they got lucky). I do like the idea of Richards on a 1-2 year deal if we buyout Weiss (i know it can't be a compliance buyout). I also think it would be possible to trade him still as he really just doesn't seem to fit our system more than anything. We need a talented stop gap at 2C until Jarnkrok is ready.

...also, regarding next season, I wonder if anyone out there can get us a list of "kids" that are no longer able to move up and down to GR and back without having to go through waivers...

I know Ferraro is one of those and I think Sheahan. This is very important to see what Holland does next off season at the draft and UFA time. Maybe even at this season's trade deadline.

Or if any of you guru's out there can explain to me the rules, maybe I can figure it out myself. I do know that it has something to do with when they signed their first pro contract, but I am not sure on the time frame.

someone mentioned richards on a 2 yr deal ... these free agents wont want 2 yr deals theyll want longterm deals , as much as it sucks to maybe not get a good free agent we cant just sign anybody thats how we get screwed longterm

i say we just go with the kids unless some top tier free agent ever becomes available and as much as i like vanek i wouldnt want him for say 50 mill for 7 yrs

someone mentioned richards on a 2 yr deal ... these free agents wont want 2 yr deals theyll want longterm deals , as much as it sucks to maybe not get a good free agent we cant just sign anybody thats how we get screwed longterm

i say we just go with the kids unless some top tier free agent ever becomes available and as much as i like vanek i wouldnt want him for say 50 mill for 7 yrs

With Richards' history of under performing on a big deal I find it hard to believe ANY contender will give him a long term deal. I assume he wants to go to a contender...

I think the Vanek to the Minnessota wild rumor is based on a few facts (did some research on it):

1. his best friend Pominville is playing there

2. his girlfriend is from the area

3. he has started his NA career in Minnesotta

4. they are an up and coming team

so it really would make sense for him to go there. Even if the Penguins are going to get him, it doesn't matter they for sure can score goals but their defense and goaltending has yet to put it together in the playoffs. Also I wouldn't pay him 9,5 m annually there are only two guys I'd be willing to break the bank for: Jonathan Toews and obviously Steven Stamkos with a rising cap paying these guys 9,5 annually would be a tremendous investment but one, that I'm sure would pay off when all is said and done.

I think the Vanek to the Minnessota wild rumor is based on a few facts (did some research on it):

so it really would make sense for him to go there. Even if the Penguins are going to get him, it doesn't matter they for sure can score goals but their defense and goaltending has yet to put it together in the playoffs. Also I wouldn't pay him 9,5 m annually there are only two guys I'd be willing to break the bank for: Jonathan Toews and obviously Steven Stamkos with a rising cap paying these guys 9,5 annually would be a tremendous investment but one, that I'm sure would pay off when all is said and done.

Thought I read he has a house in minnesota

I wouldn't mind trading Howard and going the way of past wings teams and have solid Defense and offense with below average goaltending. It allows you to play the game the right way. Relying on your goaltender is bad hockey. Our Defense is a disaster and Howard is too inconsistent that's a bad combination. I want to see an improvement to D this season. Smith can be a great D-man but his growing pains and mistakes end up in the back of the net because we have essentially 2 top 4 d-man and the rest 5-6. No support at all for Kronwall-Ericsson and they are far from a perfect top pairing

The mentioning of Stammer in this post really rustled my jimmies.

As in hes the best. Can you imagine pasha hank stamkos? Cup please.

Two guys I could see us targeting: Anton Stralman and Dustin Penner.

Stralman because he's a 27-year-old Swedish defenseman who shoots right-handed and holds his own on a stacked Rangers blue line. A Quincey replacement/upgrade.

Penner because we're extremely small up front and will likely be losing our biggest or second-biggest forward in Bertuzzi. A Bertuzzi replacement/upgrade.

these free agents wont want 2 yr deals theyll want longterm deals

I heard some interesting speculation the other day... with the cap expected to jump up significantly each year, some forward-thinking free agents might want to sign shorter deals (2-3 years), then cash in again as the cap continues to rise and teams have room to spend. It does make sense. Look at the deals Datsyuk and Zetterberg are currently on... big dollars at the time they were signed, but relative bargains today for the players they (still) are. Same for a lot of guys around the league.

Two guys I could see us targeting: Anton Stralman and Dustin Penner.

Stralman because he's a 27-year-old Swedish defenseman who shoots right-handed and holds his own on a stacked Rangers blue line. A Quincey replacement/upgrade.

Penner because we're extremely small up front and will likely be losing our biggest or second-biggest forward in Bertuzzi. A Bertuzzi replacement/upgrade.

Sheahan replaces Bertuzzi

Sheahan replaces Bertuzzi

Two issues: Sheahan is more of a defensive forward (he'll play on the fourth line next season, if he even makes the team), and he's a center (Bertuzzi being a winger). Maybe in 3-5 years - but I'm looking at the short-term.

Anyway, I'm bumping this mainly because I want to see some pipe dream rosters. I think it's safe to say reality is bringing us all down right now. And it's the holiday season, so being down sucks that much more.

ENTERTAIN ME!!!

Callahan is exactly what the Wings need. What I wouldn't do to see a Wings team with Ryan and Mitchell on it next season. With Helm injured, it's even more noticeable that we need a Callahan/Dustin Brown type that can do it all, like a younger Iginla if you will.