• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

I'd like to talk about this off-season/next season

Rate this topic

Callahan is exactly what the Wings need. What I wouldn't do to see a Wings team with Ryan and Mitchell on it next season. With Helm injured, it's even more noticeable that we need a Callahan/Dustin Brown type that can do it all, like a younger Iginla if you will.

Oh man. Any time I think of "Guys I'd really, really, really like to see in the Winged Wheel," Ryan Callahan and Dustin Brown always spring to mind. Either one would be wonderful. Both, and I'd take back all the bad things I've ever said about Ken Holland.

Another guy along those same lines: Wayne Simmonds.

Wings have good role players and need some guys who can put the puck in the net to replace some of the old folks who have hung on too long. Pathetic that Tatar is currently 6th on the team in scoring. There's a few guys I could see the Wings realistically being able to get there hands-on that I think would be upgrades, and could play in the top 6 or as very good third liners:

- Kulemin (TOR) - right shooter, former 30 goal scorer, might be worth more than what TOR wants to pay for a guy who has been relegated to a checking role

- Setogouchi (WPG) - right shooter, former 30 goal scorer; though he's struggled in SJ, we've seen what this guy was capable of SJ

- Moulson (NYI) - this guy reminds me of Homer which makes me think he could compliment Pavel and Z. Probably get lots of attention though and an upgrade over his current $3mil salary.

- Downie (PHI) - I actually don't think DET would sign this guy and I'm not sure I want him here, but he'd bring a lot of potential grit with some decent skill, if he could clean up his game

- Ott, Steve (BUF) - I have the impression he has cleaned up his game; could be a good character guy; not sure about his value though

- Cammalleri (CGY) - very likely he'll be available and he can score. But since he's small and getting older, he may not be the best fit for DET

- Penner (ANA) - it's possible, but I'd bet he stays in Anaheim this time

I think the Wings could use another defensive D-man with size, so they can allow Quincey to walk. Some potential UFAs include:

- Mark Fayne, NJ
- Mark Stuart, WPG

At the very far end, I'd take a flyer on Mike Komisarek as a 7th D. We always want that cheap, big, right handed shooting defensemen!

This is where I see this team next year. Alfie for 1 more year until Jurco finishes developing. Influx of youth into the bottom 6 to give us the energy we have been lacking in the bottom 6 for the last couple years. There are some decisions to make in the bottom 6 as to who stays. I honestly don't love Andersson much in terms of what he brings to the lineup.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($5.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Tomas Tatar ($1.500m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.900m) / Landon Ferraro ($0.800m)
Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Luke Glendening ($0.700m) / Mitchell Callahan ($0.700m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)
Brendan Smith ($1.263m) / Danny DeKeyser ($2.400m)
Jakub Kindl ($2.400m) / Xavier Ouellet ($0.670m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) or Adam Almquist
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
BUYOUTS
Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
Jordin Tootoo ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,244,545; BONUSES: $224,167
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $8,855,455

The more important decisions will be made at the draft table. I think we need to go all in on a 1C prospect. I would love to trade our 1st this year for a 1st next year then move up and get a 1C.

I want to be super-realistic about this. Really, I do. But it's just too damn depressing. Because Ken Holland has spoiled me too damn much. If our only addition is Landon Ferraro, I might literally drown in my own tears. (No offense, Landon.)

Another guy I think we'll be interested in: Sami Salo. I know, he's ancient. I know, he's been injured 8,437 times. But Holland did try to snag him a year or two ago. And, let's be honest: we could use a wily old veteran on the back end. Also, he's right-handed! Hurray!

What if we added Salo and Anton Stralman to the blue line? I might be down with that, if a higher-end guy isn't available. (Dan Girardi.)

As for the forwards...I think I've settled on Wayne Simmonds as my current trade deadline pipe dream. Did you know he grew up a fan primarily of the Detroit Red Wings? I bet you didn't know that. Also, I really like Steve Ott, though I dunno if there's really a place for him. And Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Westgarth is going to happen.

Do you guys think we move Kindl? Not sure there's a place for him past this season, which kinda saddens me, because I do like him.

Callahan is exactly what the Wings need. What I wouldn't do to see a Wings team with Ryan and Mitchell on it next season. With Helm injured, it's even more noticeable that we need a Callahan/Dustin Brown type that can do it all, like a younger Iginla if you will.

i heard darren mccarthy on the radio today cause he came out with some book and the grind line came up and right away i was thinking how badly we need a grind line and how the wings should call up callahan whos an agitator and grinds and hits guys (he could be the new maltby?)

maybe put him with helm (who can be the draper?) but even there unfortunetly were lacking a darren mccarty on the team or even in our prospects as far as i know

I want to be super-realistic about this. Really, I do. But it's just too damn depressing. Because Ken Holland has spoiled me too damn much. If our only addition is Landon Ferraro, I might literally drown in my own tears. (No offense, Landon.)

Another guy I think we'll be interested in: Sami Salo. I know, he's ancient. I know, he's been injured 8,437 times. But Holland did try to snag him a year or two ago. And, let's be honest: we could use a wily old veteran on the back end. Also, he's right-handed! Hurray!

What if we added Salo and Anton Stralman to the blue line? I might be down with that, if a higher-end guy isn't available. (Dan Girardi.)

As for the forwards...I think I've settled on Wayne Simmonds as my current trade deadline pipe dream. Did you know he grew up a fan primarily of the Detroit Red Wings? I bet you didn't know that. Also, I really like Steve Ott, though I dunno if there's really a place for him. And Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Westgarth is going to happen.

Do you guys think we move Kindl? Not sure there's a place for him past this season, which kinda saddens me, because I do like him.

ive been talking about steve ott for along time ... forget next season we should trade for him now since hes gonna be a ufa and buffalo aint going anywhere and let him run around and hit the sh*t out of some guys ... how id love to see that happen

Steve Ott would be a nice addition but why give up anything for him? The guy is an upcoming UFA so if Kenny wants him, he can just make him an offer in the off-season.

Girardi will for sure be looking for a raise, so if he settles for something around 4,5 - 5 million I'd definately take a chance at him, same goes with Callahan. Let Alfie, Bertuzzi, Sam, Clearly ...walk no more on this sign a one year contract and see were it goes, this team needs to build for the future (= obviously longer than 1 year).

Other signings I would love are Deryk Engelland as a 6/7th defenseman, Westgarth (no brainer)

With the addition of a scorer and or top tier dman, and the addition by subtraction of dead weight (sammy/cleary/bert/quincey). Along with some good prospects cracking the lineup. I think our team will be quite a bit better next season.

This team is so weighed down by over the hill plugs that its tough to keepup in todays NHL with such a lack of speed/hunger. As soon as said "veterans" are gone we will be much better off IMHO.

Its easy to see the impact the kids make compared to the "vets". Nyquist/tatar/dekeyser/jurco/glendening are infinitely better/more noticable than cleary/sammy/bert/Quincey.

I wouldn't mind Cammalleri if Alfredsson doesn't return. But only as depth. I agree with you guys in us needing a big winger. But Cammalleri could be a good vet who can pot 20 goals for us. Not the move that puts us over the top but maybe a necessary one to keep us afloat.

And yes, if Kindl has any value he's not long for this roster. Unfortunately we're going to see fewer trades than ever this year, league-wide.

Injuries aside for the moment and looking at this upcoming offseason already imo....

Kindl needs to go ASAP. Kindl would look good in a Coyotes jersey or any other jersey for that matter that doesn't have the Winged Wheel on it. What a soft defensemen he is. It's a shame.

If Kindl, Quincey, Bert, Sammy and Cleary will be gone. I'm going to be like everyone else on here and be a very happy camper.

I keep sensing a youth movement will eventually come which doesn't make us a great or winning team right off the bat. I'm sensing that youth movement will happen if we don't make the playoffs this year.

Time will tell...

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

I haven't liked Kindl for a long time. I hated it when he was drafted as a matter of fact. I was encouraged by his progress last season but am not surprised by this seasons regress. He never really panned out and he is at best a #7 guy. He was re-signed for way too much money for his worth. I know Holland probably hoped that he would get even better after the contract, but this is another mistake by him. Kindl along with Q and Franzen are mistakes.

I know Franzen is more than likely here to stay, but may as well get what you can now for Q and K. If at all possible, rid ourselves of Bert, Sammy and Cleary as well. Bring up kids that can be sent back down when all are healthy again. If I am gonna play like yesterday and be embarrassed, I'd rather have my kids learning the NHL, than losing with a bunch of overpaid floaters. .

Why do so many posters think Alfie will return if he does not retire? Wasn't his goal in coming here to finally win a Cup? It's extremely unlikely that the Wings will do so this year. Next year is doubtful as well. Alfreddson would be best served to go elsewhere for a legitimate shot to hoist the Cup.

Why do so many posters think Alfie will return if he does not retire? Wasn't his goal in coming here to finally win a Cup? It's extremely unlikely that the Wings will do so this year. Next year is doubtful as well. Alfreddson would be best served to go elsewhere for a legitimate shot to hoist the Cup.

Wouldn't want to uproot his family again, IMHO. Plus, he's a really good fit.

Wouldn't want to uproot his family again, IMHO. Plus, he's a really good fit.

My point wasn't about whether he was a good fit in Detroit. He left Ottawa and uprooted his family to win a Cup. That isn't going to happen in Detroit. This leads me to wonder why he would NOT go elsewhere after this season. His priority is to win a Cup, not fit in with a lousy/rebuilding team.

My point wasn't about whether he was a good fit in Detroit. He left Ottawa and uprooted his family to win a Cup. That isn't going to happen in Detroit. This leads me to wonder why he would NOT go elsewhere after this season. His priority is to win a Cup, not fit in with a lousy/rebuilding team.

Dabura's point still stands that uprooting his family would have a big role on Alfie's decision. Its been made apparent recently by HBO's 24/7 that the transition wasn't all that smooth for the family. I think the two most likely destinations for him are Detroit and Ottawa, assuming he doesn't retire to Sweden.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
RED RIGHT HAND
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Steve Ott ($3.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Tomas Tatar ($1.500m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($4.000m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.900m) / David Moss ($2.000m)
Landon Ferraro ($0.800m) / Luke Glendening ($0.700m) / Mitchell Callahan ($0.700m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Dan Girardi ($5.000m)
Brendan Smith ($1.263m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)
Danny DeKeyser ($2.500m) / Adam Almqvist ($0.800m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($2.000m)
BUYOUTS
Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
Jordin Tootoo ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,512,500; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $3,587,500

- Traded Franzen, Andersson, Kindl to PHI for Wayne Simmonds (and a pick).

- Essentially swapped Miller for David Moss. (Wanted a big body.)

Didn't Alfredsson say a few months ago that he was done with Ottawa? Sold his house, all that jazz? Sounds to me like he's not looking back. Maybe he bolts for another team, but if we can make a decent showing in the playoffs, Z and Holland and Babcock should be able to convince him to stay what with all the cap space opening up. Maybe it will force Holland to sign some quality stars to keep Alfie here.

Alfie is the only free agent I'd like to keep next offseason...rest can go

I disagree let the vets go and build a new core around Pasha and Z.I'm glad Alfie is playing well but I'd rather remember him as a good player than someone who is hanging on far too long, like Teemu Selanne in Anaheim.

If Melynk has any class Ottawa should retire his number, after he hangs them up.

I disagree let the vets go and build a new core around Pasha and Z.I'm glad Alfie is playing well but I'd rather remember him as a good player than someone who is hanging on far too long, like Teemu Selanne in Anaheim. If Melynk has any class Ottawa should retire his number, after he hangs them up.

Why would we drop someone who has proven he can score when we're having so much trouble score? Yes, he's 41, but he's not "holding on far too long." He's got 27 pts in 32 games.

There is no doubt Alfie's number will be retired in Ottawa. Melnyk would face a public flogging otherwise.

Alfie is producing. He is producing and looks much faster and effective than young guys like Andersson. He still puts in the hard work and doesn't float shifts like Bert does. Alfie plays hard minutes and grinds when need be. Ohya, he's also carrying the pp.

Agreed. Alfie is elite. Which means, in hockey, he’s practically ageless. Sure he’s 41, but who wouldn’t take a 41 year old Lidstrom on this team right now?

And yes, those 27 pts in 32 games are a big deal. He’s almost a point-per-game player this year with a team that’s struggling offensively. And it’s not like he was playing with Datsyuk right out of the gate. He was playing with a struggling Weiss and Franzen early on, and has played with Helm and Abdlekader as well. I know that he’s piling up some points on the PP. But still, pretty good year for the guy so far. Wait until he wins the cup :ph34r:

Edited by rick zombo