• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

I'd like to talk about this off-season/next season

Rate this topic

Why would we drop someone who has proven he can score when we're having so much trouble score? Yes, he's 41, but he's not "holding on far too long." He's got 27 pts in 32 games.

There is no doubt Alfie's number will be retired in Ottawa. Melnyk would face a public flogging otherwise.

See and that's exactly how I want to remember him, as a great player putting up great numbers. At 40+ the decline from one year to another can be huge and that's just something I don't want to see happening to Alfredsson. I mean, the guy is already wearing an A and brings a ton of leadership which is great and much needed, given that Z is out but my point stands.

I hope you are right, he deserves it.

As for wanting an 42 old perfect human for sure who wouldn't? Having said that, I remain confident Kenny might get his oldest son, so that would mean a young Lidström for 2 decades it doesn't get better than that :)

Guest Playmaker

See and that's exactly how I want to remember him, as a great player putting up great numbers. At 40+ the decline from one year to another can be huge and that's just something I don't want to see happening to Alfredsson. I mean, the guy is already wearing an A and brings a ton of leadership which is great and much needed, given that Z is out but my point stands.

I hope you are right, he deserves it.

As for wanting an 42 old perfect human for sure who wouldn't? Having said that, I remain confident Kenny might get his oldest son, so that would mean a young Lidström for 2 decades it doesn't get better than that :)

His oldest kid isn't all that good.

I'd like Edler for the right price but I wouldn't put much credence in those rumours.

Fansided sourcing The Fourth Period who sources the Ottawa Sun who really didn't report anything new to begin with:

The Wings have been quietly trying to bring in a top-end defenceman. Let’s face it, they haven’t had one since Nicklas Lidstrom retired and the club is going through its share of struggles. A guy the Wings may have sniffed around is Canucks’ Alex Edler, but he’s in the second year of a long-term deal and isn’t going anywhere

Sigh...

I know somebody... SOMEBODY*... tossed Marion Gaborik's name into this discussion.

Here' exactly why not: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=439570

WE NEED HEALTHY GOALSCORERS.

* no offense to "somebody"

I was one of the guys that wanted Gaborik, but at this point I'm with you on not getting him. He always has health issues and is a real wild card in too many ways.

Edler has played so poor this season he is being thrown into all the VAN trade proposals on Hf. His value is at an all time low right now. The only reason I see us getting him is because we are now in the east. But even so it would cost us one of Jurco/Tatar/Nyquist and a 1st and one of our d prospects. I'd be okay with Tatar, Almquist, 1st but not much more. We have too much promise in our young guys right now to take shortcuts and trade them.

I'd like Edler for the right price but I wouldn't put much credence in those rumours.

Fansided sourcing The Fourth Period who sources the Ottawa Sun who really didn't report anything new to begin with:

Sigh...

Oh, I know. But I like rumors, especially when we're involved. At the very least, it's better than "We like our team." Right?

Along similar lines:

Report: Sather shopping Del Zotto, Girardi, possibly others [PHT]

Dan Girardi!

Oh, I know. But I like rumors, especially when we're involved. At the very least, it's better than "We like our team." Right?

Along similar lines:

Report: Sather shopping Del Zotto, Girardi, possibly others [PHT]

Dan Girardi!

My only concern is where will Sproul, Ouellet, Marchenko, Backman play in a few years? Sure you could take away Kindl, Lashoff, and Quincey but then you add Girardi that leaves only spot 6 and 7 open for the next 5 or so years. He IS what we need, but it handicaps us for the future I think and that is why holland won't do it.

My only concern is where will Sproul, Ouellet, Marchenko, Backman play in a few years? Sure you could take away Kindl, Lashoff, and Quincey but then you add Girardi that leaves only spot 6 and 7 open for the next 5 or so years. He IS what we need, but it handicaps us for the future I think and that is why holland won't do it.

Not to sound like a bum, but 1) I want to win now, and 2) the prospects will end up wherever they end up.

-Let Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Eaves, and Quincey walk. Wait to see what Alfredsson decides to do regarding the possibility of retirement.

-Re-sign Dekeyser, Tatar, Sheahan, and Glendening.

-Do Jordin Tootoo a favor and buy him out so he can sign on with a team that will utilize him correctly, instead of wasting his career away by burying him in the minors. The way we've dealt with him has been pathetic.

-For the love of Jesus or whoever else you may believe, get a top 6 forward with a pair between his legs.

-Package Franzen and Andersson with a pick/prospect to get a top-end defenseman.

-Get a 4th line winger that will actually bang and crash.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Stewart

Tatar-Weiss-Nyquist

Abdelkader-Helm-Insert prospect here

Miller-Glendening-Carcillo

Sheahan

Kronwall-Girardi

Ericsson-Kindl

Smith-Smid

Lashoff

-Let Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Eaves, and Quincey walk. Wait to see what Alfredsson decides to do regarding the possibility of retirement.

-Re-sign Dekeyser, Tatar, Sheahan, and Glendening.

-Do Jordin Tootoo a favor and buy him out so he can sign on with a team that will utilize him correctly, instead of wasting his career away by burying him in the minors. The way we've dealt with him has been pathetic.

-For the love of Jesus or whoever else you may believe, get a top 6 forward with a pair between his legs.

-Package Franzen and Andersson with a pick/prospect to get a top-end defenseman.

-Get a 4th line winger that will actually bang and crash.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Stewart

Tatar-Weiss-Nyquist

Abdelkader-Helm-Insert prospect here

Miller-Glendening-Carcillo

Sheahan

Kronwall-Girardi

Ericsson-Kindl

Smith-Smid

Lashoff

Where is Deke?

It's not necessarily about getting the BEST guy, it's about the best FIT. This is why although I am pissed at this team by having Cleary, Sammy, Bert and Quincey (more and more Kindl as well) on it, but I understand the thinking that these guys have been around and may be a good fit here. I also think more and more that these guys are showing that they aren't the best fit.

I like the talk about Girardi, he is fairly cheap, but there are others out there that could maybe come in and solidify the back end very well and I wouldn't mind taking a 1-2 year gamble on to see if they indeed fit better than what we have. In no particular order:

Dion Phaneuf, Brooks Orpik, Willie Mitchell, Dan Girardi, Matt Niskanen, Matt Hunwick and knowing their love affair with Swede's, Douglas Murray. I know a couple of those guys are older, but given what we have this season any combo of two of those guys are better than Q and Kindl... So let's just for conversation purposes, what looks better?

Kronwall - Ericsson

Dekeyser - Smith

Quincey - Kindl

Lashoff/Ouellet

- OR -

Phaneuf - Kronwall

Dekeyser - Ericsson

Orpik - Smith

Lashoff/Ouellet

again, you can replace Orpik and Phaneuf with Hunwick/Girardi or Niskanen/Mitchell or Phaneuf/Murray. Any combo HAS to be much better than the bitter disappointments Quincey and Kindl have turned in to...

Up front, its obvious that Cleary, Bertuzzi, Sammy ALL must go. With the influx of kids that obviously belong here, I still would like to see a big star type player be signed to play along side Datsyuk and Zetterberg. With the cap going up, I would love to see any of the top UFA's pursued, including Heatley, Vanek, Gaborik and Jumbo Joe, also Paul Stastny. You are going to have to break out the big bucks to outbid other teams, but they would be worth it.

And these guys are just UFA signing's, no telling what could be done via the trade. I am not sure how happy the Rags are with Nash and not even sure if Holland is still wanting him, but he would love awesome on Datsyuk's line, as would Brad Richards, but he is leading the Rags in scoring right now...

Bottom line is: Cleary, Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, Quincey, Kindl must NOT be on this team next season. To a lessor extent, I would be indifferent if Eaves, Alfredsson and Gustavsson were re-signed or let go.

...according to IIHF, Sergei Fedorov is staging a comeback with CSKA.

Put that together with him playing in the alumni game, I predict a return the Red Wings to officially bury the hatchet amongst all parties concerned. It will allow him to retire as a Red Wing, get into the HOF and get #91 up where it belongs with #19 & #5.

Feds will be Hollands signing in the off season since he said he won't make any huge splashes until the TV deal.

He will at least be better than Bert, Cleary and Sammy.

https://twitter.com/IIHFHockey/status/415412161993646080