• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

I'd like to talk about this off-season/next season

Rate this topic

I think at best, IF Feds was looking for a return to the NHL to see what he can do, he would sign for a year to see how it goes, then go from there a year at a time. I know he is 44, but remember Fedorov is/was a work of art when it comes to being in shape. His workout rivaled Chris Chelios at the time. When Cheli was 44 and 45, he was still pretty effective for us. Sure it is a long shot that Feds returns here, and I am mostly just talking about it because I SO want him to retire a Red Wing. But honestly, if Selanne can do it, so could Feds. He may not be on the top line, but heck, could he really be as bad as Weiss has been this year? Albeit Weiss had a groin issue that was supposedly hindering him.

If Holland isn't going to make splash in the market until the 2015 off season, then heck, give it a go. He gave Modo a closing ceremony to play for his hometown, he kept Cheli around until he was 48ish and even Alfie at 41 is only 2 points out of having the team lead in points. Long shot, yes...pipe dream, yes...but damn I hope it happens...it needs to happen.

Guest Playmaker

Fedorov can't play in the NHL. That's why he left in the first place. In his day, he was one of the best. He's not any more.

Supposedly, Sheahan, Ferraro, Callahan, and Almquist are out of options next year and would have to clear waivers to be sent down. Depending on who Holland can (and actually WOULD) move this summer, most, if not all, of those guys might be here. I can see Ferraro being let go, he hasn't even gotten a sniff of NHL action yet... Callahan and Almquist could stay or go, depending on roster limitations, and Sheahan should be up next year. Glendening could beat out Callahan and Ferraro, but I believe he is still waiver-exempt. Ouellet (and Sproul) still have waiver exemptions, and I'd venture a guess that Holland will use those and let them develop in GR for another year.

I'd let every UFA walk, with the possible exception of Alfredsson. I'd try and move Kindl for a mid-round pick (3rd/4th). I would explore moving Franzen, maybe see if Vancouver is interested in trading Edler for him... Edler and a F prospect (Cole Cassels?) for Franzen and a D prospect (Sproul?) Explore the veteran backup goalie market, but strongly consider the fact that Mrazek might be the backup next year. Howard gets 55-60 starts, Mrazek the rest. Then explore the UFA market, see if there are any good fits at top-6 F and mid-level D. DO NOT "OVERBUILD" THE ROSTER. This season's roster management has been nothing short of an embarrassment. Sticking NHL-caliber forwards in the AHL because you can't trade them and don't have room for them is NOT a good look. Especially when you re-signed a washed-up returning veteran after training camp opened and you did not have the room to do so. I think Holland has made a lot of miscalculations since 2009, and I think he has THIS SUMMER to make up for them. If he can't, then it's time for someone else to step in. This club is ripe for some change... I think too many guys are content here.

bump again...

I love the idea of Girardi and Edler. That would make our blueline even more special. Girardi is a UFA in the off season, so he could be had for a draft pick at the deadline or just try to outbid for him in July. Edler would need to be traded for and I think it would take more than Franzen to acquire him. Someone above said they thought that Sheahan, Ferraro, Almquist and Callahan are all out of waiver exemptions this off season, they are correct. So decisions need to be made when it comes to those four for sure. Maybe if you trade Franzen and Almquist for Edler and a pick, it could get done.

So now, we have the other 3 to worry about, along with trying to find Datsyuk a #1 right winger. I know Holland would probably shy away from filling his roster full of rookies, but it is quite a possibility. Nyquist has to pass thru waivers, so he will be on the roster. Tatar the same, so he will be on the roster.

Others that are out of Waiver exemptions: Emmerton (obvious,) Willie Coetzee, Trevor Parkes, Gleason Fournier, Andrej Nestrasil and Louis-Marc Aubry. I am not sure these guys futures with the Wings organization, but again some decisions need to be made. Could any of these guys be packaged with a roster player to bring us Edler or Girardi? I noticed on the last episode of 24/7 that they showed Ken Holland watching a Phoenix Coyotes game, is/was he still scouting Yandle? Who knows...also to note that the guys listed above are (with the exception of Aubry) are RFA's come July 1st, 2014.

I believe the Wings need that #1 right winger...could it be Mantha? He may get some serious looks next training camp. Also, I believe we need a top defender to play with Kronwall. If the wings got Girardi and Edler, that would mean that Quincey was either part of one of those deals or just let go UFA in July and most likely Kindl or Lashoff is traded. I like Laser, but he is very replaceable. I wouldn't mind our D corps to look like this:

Edler - Dekeyser

Kronwall - Girardi

Ericsson - Smith

Ouellet/Lashoff (it will probably be Almquist though since Ouellet has exemptions left)

When it comes to goalie, it's pretty apparent that Mrazek will and should back up Howard next season. Gus has been good, but his health is still an issue and Mrazek will be a nice cap hit, so it should be a no brainer to have:

Howard

Mrazek

...leaving Coreau and Patterson to be the GR goalies. Must say goodbye to McCollum...

at the forward position, you have to let all your UFA's go, unless Alfie returns for similar money, if he doesn't retire. You obviously re-sign Tatar and Glendening (he has expemtions so he will start in GR.) From there the decisions need to be made with you non-exempt players. With all UFA's gone, you roster looks like this:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - OPEN

Franzen - Weiss - Abdelkader

Miller - Helm - Nyquist

Tatar - Andersson - OPEN

OPEN/OPEN

...do you fill those open spots with all rookies? Espcially considering that even after this year, Nyquist and Tatar are still kids. Even Andersson can be considered a kid still. Or do you make a deal at the deadline or draft, or sign a UFA?

Guest DeGraa55

Tying all our money into a defense that will be fine with the in house players leaving none left for our forwards that all ready can't score goals is a recipe to continue our mediocrity.

Edited by DeGraa55

I hear you...

if Holland just went with all in house next season our roster would look like this:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Tatar

Miller - Helm - Nyquist

Sheahan - Andersson - Ferraro

Callahan/Tootoo

Kronwall - Dekeyser

Ericsson - Smith

Lashoff - Kindl

Almquist

Howard

Mrazek

I hear you...

if Holland just went with all in house next season our roster would look like this:

Miller - Helm - Nyquist

Callahan/Tootoo

Kronwall - Dekeyser

Ericsson - Smith

Lashoff - Kindl

Almquist

Howard

Mrazek

I'd be fine with that - as long as he doesn't re-sign bert, cleary, sammy, quincey... I would take Alfie back in a second though.

I hear you...

Miller - Helm - Nyquist

Callahan/Tootoo

Kronwall - Dekeyser

Ericsson - Smith

Lashoff - Kindl

Almquist

Howard

Mrazek

would like the thought of getting rid of the dead weight and add even more youth but with this roster they'd have like 10 mil in cap space..don't see them not spending

I have a feeling Almquist will end up somewhere else

Hey pumpkin, I hear ya there!

I would love to have a real top line right winger and a real top defender...too bad this off season doesn't have its version of Suter/Parise... :lol:

what would it take to get Weber out of Nashville?

Edited by LeftWinger

I understand that, but again, I just went with the non-exempt players and made 0 trades/ufa signings... Tootoo is still under contract, maybe he will be waived again, but I just went with the guys who can start the season in GR with no consequences. Jurco, Glendening and Ouellet....all of whom will most definitely see NHL icetime next season...

Edited by LeftWinger

Hey pumpkin, I hear ya there!

I would love to have a real top line right winger and a real top defender...too bad this off season doesn't have its version of Suter/Parise... :lol:

what would it take to get Weber out of Nashville?

Don't get me wrong, Weber is a good defenseman. But not for his money. The guy is an abysmal -13. I realize that it's an imperfect stat, but Weber's got ten goals by himself and he's still a -13. That's horrible for a #1 defenseman making the money that he is. Lots of guys I'd rather have than Weber with that contract.

Don't get me wrong, Weber is a good defenseman. But not for his money. The guy is an abysmal -13. I realize that it's an imperfect stat, but Weber's got ten goals by himself and he's still a -13. That's horrible for a #1 defenseman making the money that he is. Lots of guys I'd rather have than Weber with that contract.

Not that I'm necessarily an advocate of bringing Weber here, but the best +/- on their team's defense is a +1. The team can't score, Rinne's been out most of the season and Weber's been paired with Jones and/or Josi. There are going to be some issues there, regardless of his level of talent.

Edited by Jesusberg

He actually has a lessor contract than I thought...$7.8M is not that bad. Is it expensive? Yea, but it really isn't that bad. I would take Weber on this team. He does not have a NMC/NTC, I am just not sure how much of a molesting they would give us for a return! I am sure the price would be very steep! I am sure they would want no part of Q or K, and I am not trading Dekeyser. But man, Weber would look good in red and white (Wings that is, I know he is wearing Red/White for Canada) and he is locked up long term...VERY long term, plus I think Nashville might have to retain some of that salary...dunno. It's a pipe dream, but I sure would like him on the Wings. Funny thing is, as of the off season, with no UFA's coming back, acquiring Weber without subtracting roster players still leaves us with $13M in cap space to sign our RFA's. Trading a roster player or two would free up even more cap space, so salary wouldn't be an issue, the only issue is what Nashville would want in return...

Not that it affects that much, but I still believe we'll buy out Tootoo this summer with the second compliance buyout. It'll free up a little more cash and give Toots the chance to actually play in the show somewhere else.

I hear you...

Miller - Helm - Nyquist

Callahan/Tootoo

Kronwall - Dekeyser

Ericsson - Smith

Lashoff - Kindl

Almquist

Howard

Mrazek

Just a thought, but here's that roster in terms on NHL games played.

746 - 814 - 62

543 - 869 - 295

367 - 265 - 68

6 - 86 - 0

0 - 538

556 - 38

306 - 81

70 - 188

That's a very inexperienced line-up whichever way you cut it. 10 out of 23 with less than 100 games of NHL experience. I know everyone always says "play the kids!", but I only see one of Ferraro/Sheahan/Callahan getting the call, and they're all behind Glendening who Babcock loves.

Just a thought, but here's that roster in terms on NHL games played.

746 - 814 - 62

543 - 869 - 295

367 - 265 - 68

6 - 86 - 0

0 - 538

556 - 38

306 - 81

70 - 188

That's a very inexperienced line-up whichever way you cut it. 10 out of 23 with less than 100 games of NHL experience. I know everyone always says "play the kids!", but I only see one of Ferraro/Sheahan/Callahan getting the call, and they're all behind Glendening who Babcock loves.

Ferarro Sheahan and Callahan are out off options so they won't be with Griffins next season