• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

I'd like to talk about this off-season/next season

Rate this topic

1. Use remaining compliance buyout on Tootoo.

2. Let Quincey, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Eaves and Gustavsson walk.

3. Re-sign Alfredsson if he doesn't want to retire (~4 million)

4. Re-sign RFAs Tatar, Glendening, Sheahan and DeKeyser. Also Almquist since out of waiver options.

5. Overpay Ryan Callahan to play with Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Not a great scorer and certain to not be worth the cash, but still a great character guy that brings a lot of grit and intangibles despite his small stature. I wouldn't mind being stuck with him for David Clarkson money.

6. Sign Dan Girardi. There are concerns over his play the past couple seasons, but there really aren't any top 4 D-man options out there. He's much better than Quincey though. But we can't offer him more money than Kronwall, and some other team might overpay him even more.

7. Trade Kindl for picks/prospects if we're able to sign Girardi.

Basically, we trim a lot of fat, overpay for 2 Rangers, and hope Weiss transforms himself.

FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Ryan Callahan ($5.500m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($4.000m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Tomas Tatar ($1.750m)
Luke Glendening ($0.850m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.950m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Dan Girardi ($4.725m)
Danny DeKeyser ($3.500m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
Adam Almquist ($0.750m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.595m)
BUYOUTS
Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
Jordin Tootoo ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,219,545; BONUSES: $195,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,830,455

Edited by Nevermind

4. Re-sign RFAs Tatar, Glendening, Sheahan and DeKeyser. Also Almquist since out of waiver options.

5. Overpay Ryan Callahan to play with Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Not a great scorer and certain to not be worth the cash, but still a great character guy that brings a lot of grit and intangibles despite his small stature. I wouldn't mind being stuck with him for David Clarkson money.

6. Sign Dan Girardi. There are concerns over his play the past couple seasons, but there really aren't any top 4 D-man options out there. He's much better than Quincey though. But we can't offer him more money than Kronwall, and some other team might overpay him even more.

Basically, we trim a lot of fat, overpay for 2 Rangers, and hope Weiss transforms himself.

FORWARDS

Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Tomas Tatar ($1.750m)Luke Glendening ($0.850m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.950m) /DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Dan Girardi ($4.725m)Danny DeKeyser ($3.500m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)

Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)Adam Almquist ($0.750m) /GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

Petr Mrazek ($0.595m)BUYOUTS

Jordin Tootoo ($0.000m)------CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)(estimations for 2014-15)SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,219,545; BONUSES: $195,000CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,830,455

Callahan and Girardi aren't worth that...pass

pass

k

Girardi and his 12 points and minus four...not worth almost five mil a season...we can get that out of Grand Rapids...and I'd rather have Mitchell up here..both at the fraction of the price

I feel like you're not very familiar with Girardi or Callahan. But whatever, to each his own.

If you need me, I'll be over here winning a Cup with a first line of Zetterberg - Datsyuk - R. Callahan and a first pairing of Kronwall - Girardi.

k

I feel like you're not very familiar with Girardi or Callahan. But whatever, to each his own.

If you need me, I'll be over here winning a Cup with a first line of Zetterberg - Datsyuk - R. Callahan and a first pairing of Kronwall - Girardi.

very familiar with both and neither are worth the money listed above...not even close...give Oulette 47 games here and I bet he has more than 12 points at a fraction of the cost...plus I hope the Rangers resign both because I don't want them here

The Rangers simple can't allow either one of them to walk, their defense and even offense isn't that great. They've traded away too much depth for Nash and are now left in a tough situation. With an ever rising cap and given that Girardi might be the best available defenseman this summer, he is going to get paid and by that I mean way more than he is worth, think about something north of 5,5. Not a bad situation to find yourself in as a player, he should really thank Phaneuf for that.

FORWARDS

Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Tomas Tatar ($1.750m)

Luke Glendening ($0.850m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.950m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Dan Girardi ($4.725m)

Danny DeKeyser ($3.500m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)

Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)

Adam Almquist ($0.750m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

Petr Mrazek ($0.595m)

BUYOUTS

Jordin Tootoo ($0.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,219,545; BONUSES: $195,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,830,455

you left out lose M. Callahan and Ferraro to waivers...

Doubting NYR let's both Callahan and Girardi hit the market. If they don't find a way to keep both they'll probably choose to keep Callahan IMO. He's their C and their New York boy, and hes done better in the new system than Girardi has. Girardi would be a good addition, but I'm eyeing Matt Greene. He's a Michigan boy and will probably be available when we hit the market

Depending on what happens with Weiss, Stastny is a guy who will probably be available in June. Doubting he gets traded right now based on where Colorados at, but doubt he gets Re-signed with their C depth and his declining performance. Could buyout Weiss and chase him.

It would be nice to have Stastny. But like you said, all depends on what happens to Weiss or who ever else they use the buyout on... Could Stasny be turned into a right wing? It is going to be an interesting summer, especially if they miss the playoffs. With all the guys out of waiver options, it will be interesting to see if there are any trades at the draft or the deadline for that matter...

Edited by LeftWinger

As he can't be a compliance buyout, here's the buyout numbers for Weiss:

Stephen Weiss is 31 years old on the buyout date of June 15, 2014, setting the buyout ratio at 2/3 and the total buyout cost at $13,666,667 spread over 8 years. His contract was originally valued at $24,500,000 beginning in 2013 and ending in 2018, with $20,500,000 remaining from the buyout year forward. The following is a season-by-season breakdown/caphit of the buyout.

• 2014-15: $2,108,333
  • 2015-16: $608,333
  • 2016-17: $608,333
  • 2017-18: $2,608,333
  • 2018-19: $1,708,333
  • 2019-20: $1,708,333
  • 2020-21: $1,708,333
  • 2021-22: $1,708,333

Weisse deserves a real chance no way he gets moved at the lowest value of his entire career. Drafting and developing is the only thing we can do until we have a serious line up that can contend. This is rebuilding period dealing away ppl we developed for some half ass version of the franchise players we want is not what we wanna do. Patience is a virtue. Just thankfully we wil hop out of this rebuilding period and realize we didn't even notice we were so terrible as we built our team from the bottom

Ya, Weiss does deserve a chance to show what he can do healthy. Maybe the hernia issue has been with him all season and that is why he seemed so....uh, crappy out there. Let's see if he can come back healthy next season and give him a legit shot at the #2 spot. Especially if the buyout would cost us so much...

Talking buyout, I really don't think they waste it on Tootoo. They have already shown that they are prepared to lose him for nothing by waiving him, so why waste the buyout on someone that you can waive anyhow? I think Holland will wait until the last possible minute to use the buyout to see if everyone is going to be healthy and who is just not making the grade.

Also a question about the buyout, I thought the TWO compliance buyouts teams were given allows them to buy out the player with no return hit on the cap? I thought there are two types of buyouts, Compliance and ordinary. When I select compliance buyout for Franzen, the cap hit is $0. When I select ordinary, the cap hit is $-73,000 (which is what it shows when you compute his buyout the way you did for Weiss.) I think, if necessary the compliance buyout allows for $0 against the cap...

very familiar with both and neither are worth the money listed above...not even close...give Oulette 47 games here and I bet he has more than 12 points at a fraction of the cost...plus I hope the Rangers resign both because I don't want them here

The Rangers team as a whole has been underachieving the past couple seasons. You ever hear the term "change of scenery did him wonders"? That likely would help both Callahan and Girardi who are very good players. And Callahan adds quite a bit of grit to a team that would sorely need it. I want Callahan and Ouellet up pretty bad too, but to pass on the 2 Rangers players if the opportunity arises to get both is just bad business. I'd like Callahan at 5 mil and Girardi at 4.5 mil. Offer both their contracts at the same time and see if they want to jump ship and play together on a team that they could improve much more than the stale Rangers.

The Rangers team as a whole has been underachieving the past couple seasons. You ever hear the term "change of scenery did him wonders"? That likely would help both Callahan and Girardi who are very good players. And Callahan adds quite a bit of grit to a team that would sorely need it. I want Callahan and Ouellet up pretty bad too, but to pass on the 2 Rangers players if the opportunity arises to get both is just bad business. I'd like Callahan at 5 mil and Girardi at 4.5 mil. Offer both their contracts at the same time and see if they want to jump ship and play together on a team that they could improve much more than the stale Rangers.

Their change of scenery can be somewhere else

Edited by PumpkinEscobar

If they can get a guy like Moulson or Vanek, that would certainly be exciting. I just don't know how possible that is, given that those two are probably the top two UFAs and I'm not sure Detroit will be willing to pay as much as some other teams might.

Detroit could be big players. They will look in-house for a lot of their holes, which lowers their payroll. We can afford to massively overlay for a player, at least on a short-term contract. Trouble will be: will UFA's accept a 2 or 3 year contract?

Dan Girardi isn't an offensive defenseman, so comparing him to Ouellet using their point totals is a bit misleading.

Girardi is a shutdown defenseman who can move the puck well. He can log silly-big minutes, play in all situations, block shots like a machine, and be a solid leader. In theory, he'd complement Kronwall or Smith very nicely. At the very least, he'd give us a good top four. Ouellet projects high, and he might actually end up being a lot like Girardi. But, as always, I'm thinking about a Cup, and within the next two seasons (our core is old; our window is closing). Ouellet might not even make the team next fall, and if he does, it's very likely he'd be on the third pairing. That's a far cry from what Girardi could give us in the here and now.

Same idea with the two Callahans. Except, I'm not sold on Mitchell being anything more than an NHL fourth-line agitator who pots a goal here and there. (Yes, I know, he's scoring in Grand Rapids. But that doesn't impress me a whole lot.) Callahan could play on the first line and give us some more speed and tenacity and all-around grit, kind of like Helm, but he can play in a scoring role. My only concern with him is that he's injury prone. He's not big, so his style of play means he's not going to be highly effective for much longer, unless he becomes a great two-way player or something. Still, anyone who wants the Cup and thinks Mitchell can help the cause about as much as Ryan would is being a Wings homer. I get not wanting to spend money, but come on.

Not that we're getting Girardi or Callahan, never mind both. But if you're gonna dream, might as well dream big.

They would be affordable, needed, and adequately used if these trades were made.

For the record, I'm not sure we should trade for either of them. But we should definitely pursue them in the summer, assuming they test the waters.

Edited by Dabura