• Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#181 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,986 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

If there's one guy who wants Dan Girardi on the Wings, it's this guy. *points to himself* But it seems so exceedingly unlikely that I'm basically not even considering it an option. Same with Callahan. (Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Callahan would be the best line in hockey.) They'll both re-sign with the Rags, and Richards will almost certainly be bought out. Like I said earlier, I can see Holland kicking Richards' tires, especially if Weiss doesn't turn things around.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#182 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,986 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

Also, the Vanek-to-Minnesota thing is essentially a media invention. I'm not saying it definitely won't happen, but this is definitely a case of some guy saying, "Well this and that and that and this, so it's possible that [insert possibility]," and then the entire hockey world latching onto it as fact. There was, I think, a lot more substance to the Suter-and-Parise-to-Minny hype.

Personally, I see him - Vanek - going to one of the top teams. My gut says the Penguins. I don't know if that'd be do-able, because I don't really know their cap situation, because I hate them. But my gut says it's black and gold for Vanek. He's had his fill of craptastic hockey. He's in his prime. He wants to win.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#183 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

Boy oh boy if the pens get vanek i smell a cup for them That many offensive weapons on a team is just cruel to the rest of the league, the pens already score an absurd anount of goals as it is.

#184 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,568 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

Ya, but would the Isle's trade to the Pens?

I see the Minny angle a little more believable, maybe  Vanek for Heatley...both pending UFA's...

Would love Vanek on the Wings, maybe even Brad Richards for a year trial period.

This off season, with the cap going up and so many teams already better than the Wings looking to tweak their roster's to put them over, I can see prices going WAY up in bidding wars.  Holland may have to ditch the "We're the Red Wings" approach and start out-bidding other teams.  If Minny can add another top scorer and more, hell they got $23M available to them next season, and oh BTW they STILL have Parise and Suter...sure wish we could've landed them now.  Those are LONG contracts, but all of a sudden they don't look so bad...are there anymore Olsen Twins out there that are looking to play together for the next 6 years?

Don't Be Jealous Because I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#185 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

If there's one guy who wants Dan Girardi on the Wings, it's this guy. *points to himself* But it seems so exceedingly unlikely that I'm basically not even considering it an option. Same with Callahan. (Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Callahan would be the best line in hockey.) They'll both re-sign with the Rags, and Richards will almost certainly be bought out. Like I said earlier, I can see Holland kicking Richards' tires, especially if Weiss doesn't turn things around.

Up until the new TV deal it could have been possible to get one of those guys - but with the sharp rise in cap they will retain them (they got lucky). I do like the idea of Richards on a 1-2 year deal if we buyout Weiss (i know it can't be a compliance buyout). I also think it would be possible to trade him still as he really just doesn't seem to fit our system more than anything. We need a talented stop gap at 2C until Jarnkrok is ready.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#186 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,568 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:48 PM

...also, regarding next season, I wonder if anyone out there can get us a list of "kids" that are no longer able to move up and down to GR and back without having to go through waivers...

I know Ferraro is one of those and I think Sheahan.  This is very important to see what Holland does next off season at the draft and UFA time. Maybe even at this season's trade deadline.

Or if any of you guru's out there can explain to me the rules, maybe I can figure it out myself.  I do know that it has something to do with when they signed their first pro contract, but I am not sure on the time frame.

Don't Be Jealous Because I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#187 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

Almquist and Callahan are out of options too.

#188 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

someone mentioned richards on a 2 yr deal ... these free agents wont want 2 yr deals theyll want longterm deals , as much as it sucks to maybe not get a good free agent we cant just sign anybody thats how we get screwed longterm

i say we just go with the kids unless some top tier free agent ever becomes available  and as much as i like vanek i wouldnt want him for say 50 mill for 7 yrs 

#189 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

someone mentioned richards on a 2 yr deal ... these free agents wont want 2 yr deals theyll want longterm deals , as much as it sucks to maybe not get a good free agent we cant just sign anybody thats how we get screwed longterm

i say we just go with the kids unless some top tier free agent ever becomes available  and as much as i like vanek i wouldnt want him for say 50 mill for 7 yrs 

With Richards' history of under performing on a big deal I find it hard to believe ANY contender will give him a long term deal. I assume he wants to go to a contender...

#190 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

I think the Vanek to the Minnessota wild rumor is based on a few facts (did some research on it):

1. his best friend Pominville is playing there

2. his girlfriend is from the area

3. he has started his NA career in Minnesotta

4. they are an up and coming team

so it really would make sense for him to go there. Even if the Penguins are going to get him, it doesn't matter they for sure can score goals but their defense and goaltending has yet to put it together in the playoffs.  Also I wouldn't pay him 9,5 m annually there are only two guys I'd be willing to break the bank for: Jonathan Toews and obviously Steven Stamkos with a rising cap paying these guys 9,5 annually would be a tremendous investment but one, that I'm sure would pay off when all is said and done.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#191 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

How about this... Trading Howard to the islanders for Vanek (conditional on assigning an extension). Resign Gus for 2-3 years and platoon him and Mraz 60-40, 50-50, 40-60 to ease Mraz into the league.

#192 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

With Richards' history of under performing on a big deal I find it hard to believe ANY contender will give him a long term deal. I assume he wants to go to a contender...

theres always a sucker

#193 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

I think the Vanek to the Minnessota wild rumor is based on a few facts (did some research on it):

so it really would make sense for him to go there. Even if the Penguins are going to get him, it doesn't matter they for sure can score goals but their defense and goaltending has yet to put it together in the playoffs.  Also I wouldn't pay him 9,5 m annually there are only two guys I'd be willing to break the bank for: Jonathan Toews and obviously Steven Stamkos with a rising cap paying these guys 9,5 annually would be a tremendous investment but one, that I'm sure would pay off when all is said and done.

Thought I read he has a house in minnesota

#194 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

I wouldn't mind trading Howard and going the way of past wings teams and have solid Defense and offense with below average goaltending. It allows you to play the game the right way. Relying on your goaltender is bad hockey. Our Defense is a disaster and Howard is too inconsistent that's a bad combination. I want to see an improvement to D this season. Smith can be a great D-man but his growing pains and mistakes end up in the back of the net because we have essentially 2 top 4 d-man and the rest 5-6. No support at all for Kronwall-Ericsson and they are far from a perfect top pairing

#195 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:50 PM

Howard has had a few rough games but I don't think he's trade-bait.  He's been so good over the years, I say we just chalk this up to him being a goalie and having an off-quarter-of-a-season.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#196 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:32 AM

The mentioning of Stammer in this post really rustled my jimmies.
As in hes the best. Can you imagine pasha hank stamkos? Cup please.

#197 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,986 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

Two guys I could see us targeting: Anton Stralman and Dustin Penner.

Stralman because he's a 27-year-old Swedish defenseman who shoots right-handed and holds his own on a stacked Rangers blue line. A Quincey replacement/upgrade.

Penner because we're extremely small up front and will likely be losing our biggest or second-biggest forward in Bertuzzi. A Bertuzzi replacement/upgrade.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#198 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

these free agents wont want 2 yr deals theyll want longterm deals

I heard some interesting speculation the other day... with the cap expected to jump up significantly each year, some forward-thinking free agents might want to sign shorter deals (2-3 years), then cash in again as the cap continues to rise and teams have room to spend.  It does make sense.  Look at the deals Datsyuk and Zetterberg are currently on... big dollars at the time they were signed, but relative bargains today for the players they (still) are.  Same for a lot of guys around the league.

#199 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

Two guys I could see us targeting: Anton Stralman and Dustin Penner.

Stralman because he's a 27-year-old Swedish defenseman who shoots right-handed and holds his own on a stacked Rangers blue line. A Quincey replacement/upgrade.

Penner because we're extremely small up front and will likely be losing our biggest or second-biggest forward in Bertuzzi. A Bertuzzi replacement/upgrade.

Sheahan replaces Bertuzzi

#200 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,986 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

Sheahan replaces Bertuzzi

Two issues: Sheahan is more of a defensive forward (he'll play on the fourth line next season, if he even makes the team), and he's a center (Bertuzzi being a winger). Maybe in 3-5 years - but I'm looking at the short-term.

Anyway, I'm bumping this mainly because I want to see some pipe dream rosters. I think it's safe to say reality is bringing us all down right now. And it's the holiday season, so being down sucks that much more.

ENTERTAIN ME!!!

Don't Toews me, bro!