PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

Alfie is the only free agent I'd like to keep next offseason...rest can go

#222 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

I am ready for some Mantha next season...seriously.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#223 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

Alfie is the only free agent I'd like to keep next offseason...rest can go

I disagree let the vets go and build a new core around Pasha and Z.I'm glad Alfie is playing well but I'd rather remember him as a good player than someone who is hanging on far too long, like Teemu Selanne in Anaheim.

If Melynk has any class Ottawa should retire his number, after he hangs them up.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#224 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:39 AM

I disagree let the vets go and build a new core around Pasha and Z.I'm glad Alfie is playing well but I'd rather remember him as a good player than someone who is hanging on far too long, like Teemu Selanne in Anaheim. If Melynk has any class Ottawa should retire his number, after he hangs them up.

Why would we drop someone who has proven he can score when we're having so much trouble score? Yes, he's 41, but he's not "holding on far too long." He's got 27 pts in 32 games. 

There is no doubt Alfie's number will be retired in Ottawa. Melnyk would face a public flogging otherwise.

#225 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:06 AM

Alfie is producing. He is producing and looks much faster and effective than young guys like Andersson. He still puts in the hard work and doesn't float shifts like Bert does. Alfie plays hard minutes and grinds when need be. Ohya, he's also carrying the pp. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#226 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:20 AM

Alfie is producing. He is producing and looks much faster and effective than young guys like Andersson. He still puts in the hard work and doesn't float shifts like Bert does. Alfie plays hard minutes and grinds when need be. Ohya, he's also carrying the pp. 

Agreed. Alfie is elite. Which means, in hockey, he’s practically ageless. Sure he’s 41, but who wouldn’t take a 41 year old Lidstrom on this team right now? 

And yes, those 27 pts in 32 games are a big deal. He’s almost a point-per-game player this year with a team that’s struggling offensively. And it’s not like he was playing with Datsyuk right out of the gate. He was playing with a struggling Weiss and Franzen early on, and has played with Helm and Abdlekader as well. I know that he’s piling up some points on the PP. But still, pretty good year for the guy so far. Wait until he wins the cup  :ph34r:

Edited by rick zombo, 21 December 2013 - 02:21 AM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#227 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:23 AM

Why would we drop someone who has proven he can score when we're having so much trouble score? Yes, he's 41, but he's not "holding on far too long." He's got 27 pts in 32 games. 

There is no doubt Alfie's number will be retired in Ottawa. Melnyk would face a public flogging otherwise.

See and that's exactly how I want to remember him, as a great player putting up great numbers. At 40+ the decline from one year to another can be huge and that's just something I don't want to see happening to Alfredsson. I mean, the guy is already wearing an A and brings a ton of leadership which is great and much needed, given that Z is out but my point stands.

I hope you are right, he deserves it.

As for wanting an 42 old perfect human for sure who wouldn't? Having said that, I remain confident Kenny might get his oldest son, so that would mean a young Lidström for 2 decades it doesn't get better than that :)

kftx.jpg

#228 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

No love for my roster? Obviously you guys don't know genius when you see it. (Is this what it feels like to be Ken Holland?)

Re: Alfie - My impression is that he's "all in" with the Wings. He left the Sens to pursue a Cup...with the Wings.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#229 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

See and that's exactly how I want to remember him, as a great player putting up great numbers. At 40+ the decline from one year to another can be huge and that's just something I don't want to see happening to Alfredsson. I mean, the guy is already wearing an A and brings a ton of leadership which is great and much needed, given that Z is out but my point stands.

I hope you are right, he deserves it.

As for wanting an 42 old perfect human for sure who wouldn't? Having said that, I remain confident Kenny might get his oldest son, so that would mean a young Lidström for 2 decades it doesn't get better than that :)

His oldest kid isn't all that good.

#230 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

Players should play for as long as they want and for as long as teams will pay them.

#231 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

His oldest kid isn't all that good.

Sure, but given who his father is he will learn and improve that's a chance I'd like to take :)

kftx.jpg

#232 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

Sure, but given who his father is he will learn and improve that's a chance I'd like to take :)

Oh if it were only that simple... lol

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#233 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

I know somebody... SOMEBODY*... tossed Marion Gaborik's name into this discussion.

Here' exactly why not: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=439570

WE NEED HEALTHY GOALSCORERS.

* no offense to "somebody"
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#234 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

Wings Interested in Edler [The Fourth Period]

Detroit Red Wings have interest in Alex Edler [FanSided]

Yay!

Don't Toews me, bro!

#235 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:02 PM

I'd like Edler for the right price but I wouldn't put much credence in those rumours.

Fansided sourcing The Fourth Period who sources the Ottawa Sun who really didn't report anything new to begin with:

The Wings have been quietly trying to bring in a top-end defenceman. Let’s face it, they haven’t had one since Nicklas Lidstrom retired and the club is going through its share of struggles. A guy the Wings may have sniffed around is Canucks’ Alex Edler, but he’s in the second year of a long-term deal and isn’t going anywhere

Sigh...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#236 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:19 PM

I know somebody... SOMEBODY*... tossed Marion Gaborik's name into this discussion.

Here' exactly why not: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=439570

WE NEED HEALTHY GOALSCORERS.

* no offense to "somebody"

I was one of the guys that wanted Gaborik, but at this point I'm with you on not getting him.  He always has health issues and is a real wild card in too many ways.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#237 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

The long term deal isn't as much of an impediment as Edler's NTC.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#238 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

The long term deal isn't as much of an impediment as Edler's NTC.

Which he might waive to play with some fellow country-men that ​aren’t twin mutants. 

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#239 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

Edler has played so poor this season he is being thrown into all the VAN trade proposals on Hf. His value is at an all time low right now. The only reason I see us getting him is because we are now in the east. But even so it would cost us one of Jurco/Tatar/Nyquist and a 1st and one of our d prospects. I'd be okay with Tatar, Almquist, 1st but not much more. We have too much promise in our young guys right now to take shortcuts and trade them.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#240 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

I'd like Edler for the right price but I wouldn't put much credence in those rumours.

Fansided sourcing The Fourth Period who sources the Ottawa Sun who really didn't report anything new to begin with:

Sigh...

Oh, I know. But I like rumors, especially when we're involved. At the very least, it's better than "We like our team." Right?

Along similar lines:

Report: Sather shopping Del Zotto, Girardi, possibly others [PHT]

Dan Girardi!

Don't Toews me, bro!