• Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#241 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

Oh, I know. But I like rumors, especially when we're involved. At the very least, it's better than "We like our team." Right?

Along similar lines:

Report: Sather shopping Del Zotto, Girardi, possibly others [PHT]

Dan Girardi!

My only concern is where will Sproul, Ouellet, Marchenko, Backman play in a few years? Sure you could take away Kindl, Lashoff, and Quincey but then you add Girardi that leaves only spot 6 and 7 open for the next 5 or so years. He IS what we need, but it handicaps us for the future I think and that is why holland won't do it. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#242 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

My only concern is where will Sproul, Ouellet, Marchenko, Backman play in a few years? Sure you could take away Kindl, Lashoff, and Quincey but then you add Girardi that leaves only spot 6 and 7 open for the next 5 or so years. He IS what we need, but it handicaps us for the future I think and that is why holland won't do it. 

Not to sound like a bum, but 1) I want to win now, and 2) the prospects will end up wherever they end up.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#243 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

-Let Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Eaves, and Quincey walk. Wait to see what Alfredsson decides to do regarding the possibility of retirement.
-Re-sign Dekeyser, Tatar, Sheahan, and Glendening.
-Do Jordin Tootoo a favor and buy him out so he can sign on with a team that will utilize him correctly, instead of wasting his career away by burying him in the minors. The way we've dealt with him has been pathetic.
-For the love of Jesus or whoever else you may believe, get a top 6 forward with a pair between his legs.
-Package Franzen and Andersson with a pick/prospect to get a top-end defenseman.
-Get a 4th line winger that will actually bang and crash.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Stewart
Tatar-Weiss-Nyquist
Abdelkader-Helm-Insert prospect here
Miller-Glendening-Carcillo
Sheahan

Kronwall-Girardi
Ericsson-Kindl
Smith-Smid
Lashoff
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#244 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:05 AM

-Let Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Eaves, and Quincey walk. Wait to see what Alfredsson decides to do regarding the possibility of retirement.
-Re-sign Dekeyser, Tatar, Sheahan, and Glendening.
-Do Jordin Tootoo a favor and buy him out so he can sign on with a team that will utilize him correctly, instead of wasting his career away by burying him in the minors. The way we've dealt with him has been pathetic.
-For the love of Jesus or whoever else you may believe, get a top 6 forward with a pair between his legs.
-Package Franzen and Andersson with a pick/prospect to get a top-end defenseman.
-Get a 4th line winger that will actually bang and crash.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Stewart
Tatar-Weiss-Nyquist
Abdelkader-Helm-Insert prospect here
Miller-Glendening-Carcillo
Sheahan

Kronwall-Girardi
Ericsson-Kindl
Smith-Smid
Lashoff

Where is Deke? 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#245 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:52 AM

Where is Deke? 

Knew I was missing someone.

Kronwall-Girardi
Dekeyser-Ericsson
Smith-Kindl/Smid
Kindl/Smid

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 24 December 2013 - 12:52 AM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#246 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

It's not necessarily about getting the BEST guy, it's about the best FIT. This is why although I am pissed at this team by having Cleary, Sammy, Bert and Quincey (more and more Kindl as well) on it, but I understand the thinking that these guys have been around and may be a good fit here.  I also think more and more that these guys are showing that they aren't the best fit.

I like the talk about Girardi, he is fairly cheap, but there are others out there that could maybe come in and solidify the back end very well and I wouldn't mind taking a 1-2 year gamble on to see if they indeed fit better than what we have.  In no particular order:

Dion Phaneuf, Brooks Orpik, Willie Mitchell, Dan Girardi, Matt Niskanen, Matt Hunwick and knowing their love affair with Swede's, Douglas Murray.  I know a couple of those guys are older, but given what we have this season any combo of two of those guys are better than Q and Kindl... So let's just for conversation purposes, what looks better?

Kronwall - Ericsson

Dekeyser - Smith

Quincey - Kindl

Lashoff/Ouellet

- OR -

Phaneuf - Kronwall

Dekeyser - Ericsson

Orpik - Smith

Lashoff/Ouellet

again, you can replace Orpik and Phaneuf with Hunwick/Girardi or Niskanen/Mitchell or Phaneuf/Murray.  Any combo HAS to be much better than the bitter disappointments Quincey and Kindl have turned in to...

Up front, its obvious that Cleary, Bertuzzi, Sammy ALL must go. With the influx of kids that obviously belong here, I still would like to see a big star type player be signed to play along side Datsyuk and Zetterberg.  With the cap going up, I would love to see any of the top UFA's pursued, including Heatley, Vanek, Gaborik and Jumbo Joe, also Paul Stastny.  You are going to have to break out the big bucks to outbid other teams, but they would be worth it.

And these guys are just UFA signing's, no telling what could be done via the trade.  I am not sure how happy the Rags are with Nash and not even sure if Holland is still wanting him, but he would love awesome on Datsyuk's line, as would Brad Richards, but he is leading the Rags in scoring right now...

Bottom line is:  Cleary, Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, Quincey, Kindl must NOT be on this team next season.  To a lessor extent, I would be indifferent if Eaves, Alfredsson and Gustavsson were re-signed or let go.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#247 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:16 PM

...according to IIHF, Sergei Fedorov is staging a comeback with CSKA.

Put that together with him playing in the alumni game, I predict a return the Red Wings to officially bury the hatchet amongst all parties concerned. It will allow him to retire as a Red Wing, get into the HOF and get #91 up where it belongs with #19 & #5.

Feds will be Hollands signing in the off season since he said he won't make any huge splashes until the TV deal.

He will at least be better than Bert, Cleary and Sammy.

https://twitter.com/...412161993646080

www.thinkdunes.com

#248 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

Kyle Quincey >>>>>>> Douglas Murray

Murray is that bad.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#249 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:50 PM

Oh man, I hadn't even considered the possibility of a Feds return. An idea both terrible and awesome.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#250 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

From what I've read Fedorov is playing in these games to get ready for the alumni games, not to continue a career in they NHL...but even so I doubt he'd be back in Detroit anyway

#251 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

Yeah, there's no way it's happening. But then again, you never know. No one could've predicted Alfie's signing...and we all know how much Holland loves old, ineffective, and familiar.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#252 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

I think at best, IF Feds was looking for a return to the NHL to see what he can do, he would sign for a year to see how it goes, then go from there a year at a time.  I know he is 44, but  remember Fedorov is/was a work of art when it comes to being in shape.  His workout rivaled Chris Chelios at the time.  When Cheli was 44 and 45, he was still pretty effective for us.  Sure it is a long shot that Feds returns here, and I am mostly just talking about it because I SO want him to retire a Red Wing.  But honestly, if Selanne can do it, so could Feds.  He may not be on the top line, but heck, could he really be as bad as Weiss has been this year? Albeit Weiss had a groin issue that was supposedly hindering him. 

If Holland isn't going to make splash in the market until the 2015 off season, then heck, give it a go.  He gave Modo a closing ceremony to play for his hometown, he kept Cheli around until he was 48ish and even Alfie at 41 is only 2 points out of having the team lead in points.  Long shot, yes...pipe dream, yes...but damn I hope it happens...it needs to happen.

www.thinkdunes.com

#253 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

Fedorov can't play in the NHL.  That's why he left in the first place.  In his day, he was one of the best.  He's not any more. 

#254 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

Fedorov can't play in the NHL.  That's why he left in the first place.  In his day, he was one of the best.  He's not any more. 

...neither can Cleary or Sammy. :ninja:

www.thinkdunes.com

#255 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Mantha scored a hatty against Germany:

http://kuklaskorner....tops-22-of-24-a

He could score 100 goals in a game and he wouldn't make the roster next season. But its always fun to think on what-ifs.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#256 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

Mantha Pav Jurco, the new 2 kids and a goat line next year anyone?

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#257 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:33 AM

Supposedly, Sheahan, Ferraro, Callahan, and Almquist are out of options next year and would have to clear waivers to be sent down.  Depending on who Holland can (and actually WOULD) move this summer, most, if not all, of those guys might be here.  I can see Ferraro being let go, he hasn't even gotten a sniff of NHL action yet... Callahan and Almquist could stay or go, depending on roster limitations, and Sheahan should be up next year.  Glendening could beat out Callahan and Ferraro, but I believe he is still waiver-exempt.  Ouellet (and Sproul) still have waiver exemptions, and I'd venture a guess that Holland will use those and let them develop in GR for another year.

I'd let every UFA walk, with the possible exception of Alfredsson.  I'd try and move Kindl for a mid-round pick (3rd/4th).  I would explore moving Franzen, maybe see if Vancouver is interested in trading Edler for him... Edler and a F prospect (Cole Cassels?) for Franzen and a D prospect (Sproul?)  Explore the veteran backup goalie market, but strongly consider the fact that Mrazek might be the backup next year.  Howard gets 55-60 starts, Mrazek the rest.  Then explore the UFA market, see if there are any good fits at top-6 F and mid-level D.  DO NOT "OVERBUILD" THE ROSTER.  This season's roster management has been nothing short of an embarrassment.  Sticking NHL-caliber forwards in the AHL because you can't trade them and don't have room for them is NOT a good look.  Especially when you re-signed a washed-up returning veteran after training camp opened and you did not have the room to do so.  I think Holland has made a lot of miscalculations since 2009, and I think he has THIS SUMMER to make up for them.  If he can't, then it's time for someone else to step in.  This club is ripe for some change... I think too many guys are content here.

#258 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

Bump.

I'm tweaking my roster. I want both Edler and Girardi on the blue line, and I think it might actually be doable.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#259 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

bump again...

I love the idea of Girardi and Edler.  That would make our blueline even more special. Girardi is a UFA in the off season, so he could be had for a draft pick at the deadline or just try to outbid for him in July.  Edler would need to be traded for and I think it would take more than Franzen to acquire him.  Someone above said they thought that Sheahan, Ferraro, Almquist and Callahan are all out of waiver exemptions this off season, they are correct. So decisions need to be made when it comes to those four for sure. Maybe if you trade Franzen and Almquist for Edler and a pick, it could get done.

So now, we have the other 3 to worry about, along with trying to find Datsyuk a #1 right winger.  I know Holland would probably shy away from filling his roster full of rookies, but it is quite a possibility.  Nyquist has to pass thru waivers, so he will be on the roster. Tatar the same, so he will be on the roster.

Others that are out of Waiver exemptions: Emmerton (obvious,) Willie Coetzee, Trevor Parkes, Gleason Fournier, Andrej Nestrasil and Louis-Marc Aubry.  I am not sure these guys futures with the Wings organization, but again some decisions need to be made. Could any of these guys be packaged with a roster player to bring us Edler or Girardi? I noticed on the last episode of 24/7 that they showed Ken Holland watching a Phoenix Coyotes game, is/was he still scouting Yandle? Who knows...also to note that the guys listed above are (with the exception of Aubry) are RFA's come July 1st, 2014.

I believe the Wings need that #1 right winger...could it be Mantha? He may get some serious looks next training camp.  Also, I believe we need a top defender to play with Kronwall.  If the wings got Girardi and Edler, that would mean that Quincey was either part of one of those deals or just let go UFA in July and most likely Kindl or Lashoff is traded.  I like Laser, but he is very replaceable.  I wouldn't mind our D corps to look like this:

Edler - Dekeyser

Kronwall - Girardi

Ericsson - Smith

Ouellet/Lashoff (it will probably be Almquist though since Ouellet has exemptions left)

When it comes to goalie, it's pretty apparent that Mrazek will and should back up Howard next season. Gus has been good, but his health is still an issue and Mrazek will be a nice cap hit, so it should be a no brainer to have:

Howard

Mrazek

...leaving Coreau and Patterson to be the GR goalies.  Must say goodbye to McCollum...

at the forward position, you have to let all your UFA's go, unless Alfie returns for similar money, if he doesn't retire.  You obviously re-sign Tatar and Glendening (he has expemtions so he will start in GR.)  From there the decisions need to be made with you non-exempt players. With all UFA's gone, you roster looks like this:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - OPEN

Franzen - Weiss - Abdelkader

Miller - Helm - Nyquist

Tatar - Andersson - OPEN

OPEN/OPEN

...do you fill those open spots with all rookies? Espcially considering that even after this year, Nyquist and Tatar are still kids.  Even Andersson can be considered a kid still. Or do you make a deal at the deadline or draft, or sign a UFA?

www.thinkdunes.com

#260 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

Tying all our money into a defense that will be fine with the in house players leaving none left for our forwards that all ready can't score goals is a recipe to continue our mediocrity.

Edited by DeGraa55, 08 January 2014 - 07:31 PM.