Photo
- - - - -

I'd like to talk about this off-season/next season

• Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#261 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

I hear you...

if Holland just went with all in house next season our roster would look like this:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Tatar

Franzen - Weiss - Abdelkader

Miller - Helm - Nyquist

Sheahan - Andersson - Ferraro

Callahan/Tootoo

Kronwall - Dekeyser

Ericsson - Smith

Lashoff - Kindl

Almquist

Howard

Mrazek

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#262 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

I hear you...

if Holland just went with all in house next season our roster would look like this:

Miller - Helm - Nyquist

Callahan/Tootoo

Kronwall - Dekeyser

Ericsson - Smith

Lashoff - Kindl

Almquist

Howard

Mrazek

I'd be fine with that - as long as he doesn't re-sign bert, cleary, sammy, quincey... I would take Alfie back in a second though.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#263 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

I hear you...

Miller - Helm - Nyquist
Callahan/Tootoo

Kronwall - Dekeyser
Ericsson - Smith
Lashoff - Kindl
Almquist

Howard
Mrazek

would like the thought of getting rid of the dead weight and add even more youth but with this roster they'd have like 10 mil in cap space..don't see them not spending
I have a feeling Almquist will end up somewhere else

#264 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

Hey pumpkin, I hear ya there!

I would love to have a real top line right winger and a real top defender...too bad this off season doesn't have its version of Suter/Parise... :lol:

what would it take to get Weber out of Nashville?

Edited by LeftWinger, 08 January 2014 - 07:53 PM.

#265 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

You're missing Jurco in your lineup

#266 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

Jurco still has exemptions to start in GR.  The guys I listed are all out of exemptions...

off season 2015 see's Jurco, Jarnkrok AND Pulkkinen out of exemptions too!

#267 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Jurco will be on the squad before Tootoo

#268 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

I understand that, but again, I just went with the non-exempt players and made 0 trades/ufa signings... Tootoo is still under contract, maybe he will be waived again, but I just went with the guys who can start the season in GR with no consequences.  Jurco, Glendening and Ouellet....all of whom will most definitely see NHL icetime next season...

Edited by LeftWinger, 08 January 2014 - 08:36 PM.

#269 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

Hey pumpkin, I hear ya there!

I would love to have a real top line right winger and a real top defender...too bad this off season doesn't have its version of Suter/Parise... :lol:

what would it take to get Weber out of Nashville?

Don't get me wrong, Weber is a good defenseman.  But not for his money.  The guy is an abysmal -13.  I realize that it's an imperfect stat, but Weber's got ten goals by himself and he's still a -13.  That's horrible for a #1 defenseman making the money that he is.  Lots of guys I'd rather have than Weber with that contract.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#270 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

Don't get me wrong, Weber is a good defenseman.  But not for his money.  The guy is an abysmal -13.  I realize that it's an imperfect stat, but Weber's got ten goals by himself and he's still a -13.  That's horrible for a #1 defenseman making the money that he is.  Lots of guys I'd rather have than Weber with that contract.

Not that I'm necessarily an advocate of bringing Weber here, but the best +/- on their team's defense is a +1. The team can't score, Rinne's been out most of the season and Weber's been paired with Jones and/or Josi. There are going to be some issues there, regardless of his level of talent.

Edited by Jesusberg, 08 January 2014 - 10:32 PM.

#271 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

Preds have no problem scoring against Detroit

Edited by PumpkinEscobar, 08 January 2014 - 11:08 PM.

#272 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:41 PM

He actually has a lessor contract than I thought...$7.8M is not that bad.  Is it expensive? Yea, but it really isn't that bad.  I would take Weber on this team.  He does not have a NMC/NTC, I am just not sure how much of a molesting they would give us for a return!  I am sure the price would be very steep! I am sure they would want no part of Q or K, and I am not trading Dekeyser.  But man, Weber would look good in red and white (Wings that is, I know he is wearing Red/White for Canada) and he is locked up long term...VERY long term, plus I think Nashville might have to retain some of that salary...dunno. It's a pipe dream, but I sure would like him on the Wings. Funny thing is, as of the off season, with no UFA's coming back, acquiring Weber without subtracting roster players still leaves us with $13M in cap space to sign our RFA's. Trading a roster player or two would free up even more cap space, so salary wouldn't be an issue, the only issue is what Nashville would want in return...

#273 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:16 AM

Not that it affects that much, but I still believe we'll buy out Tootoo this summer with the second compliance buyout. It'll free up a little more cash and give Toots the chance to actually play in the show somewhere else.

#274 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:54 AM

I hear you...

Miller - Helm - Nyquist

Callahan/Tootoo

Kronwall - Dekeyser

Ericsson - Smith

Lashoff - Kindl

Almquist

Howard

Mrazek

Just a thought, but here's that roster in terms on NHL games played.

746 - 814 - 62

543 - 869 - 295

367 - 265 - 68

6 - 86 - 0

0 - 538

556 - 38

306 - 81

70 - 188

That's a very inexperienced line-up whichever way you cut it.  10 out of 23 with less than 100 games of NHL experience.  I know everyone always says "play the kids!", but I only see one of Ferraro/Sheahan/Callahan getting the call, and they're all behind Glendening who Babcock loves.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#275 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:57 AM

Just a thought, but here's that roster in terms on NHL games played.

746 - 814 - 62
543 - 869 - 295
367 - 265 - 68
6 - 86 - 0
0 - 538

556 - 38
306 - 81
70 - 188

That's a very inexperienced line-up whichever way you cut it.  10 out of 23 with less than 100 games of NHL experience.  I know everyone always says "play the kids!", but I only see one of Ferraro/Sheahan/Callahan getting the call, and they're all behind Glendening who Babcock loves.

Ferarro Sheahan and Callahan are out off options so they won't be with Griffins next season

#276 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:48 AM

I can see us trading at the deadline for Girardi and that's about it. He can be our replacement for Quincey and we get better on the back end

We just don't have the assets or can't afford to part with the ones we have to do a big trade this year

#277 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:58 AM

http://nypost.com/20...st-for-rangers/

Larry Brooks seems to think the asking price for Girardi is TWO A-Level Prospects and a pick.   Boston being first on the list of Sather's "to call list."  Followed by Ducks, Kings, and Sharks.

"The Rangers have every right — and every obligation — to demand a package of two “A” prospects, maybe already in the NHL or maybe not, plus a draft pick in return for Girardi."

The rest of the article suggests that the Rangers may have problems signing both Girardi and Callahan (even going so far to suggest that they trade Callahan!!) this off-season and that losing one and gaining the picks and prospects would be better than standing pat with both of these players -- "which for years generally has been somewhere between sixth and ninth in the East."

The bolded quote is seemingly is our future too, except where the Rangers may need prospects and picks to clean up the mess that is their roster, I think we need a couple of sure-fire, high end talents (at least one top end defenseman) to round out the roster so we're not a middling team for years to come. 

EDIT:  Rangers only have 10 roster players signed for next year.  Sather's got his work cut out for him. 6 RFAs. Along with Callahan and Girardi; Boyle and Pouliot are also UFA.

Edited by e_prime, 09 January 2014 - 08:09 AM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#278 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:41 AM

two "A" level prospects AND a pick? Holland will not be in those sweepstakes..."A" level prospects with some NHL experience and a pick...so the "A" level prospects from us would be Nyquist and Tatar or Jurco.  Are those guys worth trading for Girardi? Maybe ONE of them, but not TWO and a pick.  I think Girardi goes for a pick in the end or he just walks.  Nobody is going to overpay that much for a pending UFA, not unless he is a sign and trade.  Still I don't see Holland giving up Nyquist, Tatar and a pick for him... oh well.

#279 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

Not that I'm necessarily an advocate of bringing Weber here, but the best +/- on their team's defense is a +1. The team can't score, Rinne's been out most of the season and Weber's been paired with Jones and/or Josi. There are going to be some issues there, regardless of his level of talent.

Dude, Jones and Josi are both really good defensemen, I'd love either of them on our team haha.

I know what you're saying, their team is bad, and they never score, and Rhinne is out.  All of that is true, and I'm certainly not saying that Weber is junk or anything.  I'm just saying that for his contract (7.8 million cap hit, and over 25 million dollars in salary and bonuses for the next three years regardless of his play) you better be Ray Bourque.  Weber hasn't ever been the best all around defenseman in the NHL, but he sure gets paid for like it.  I'd rather have someone who puts up a little less offense, plays a lot more defense, and gets paid like a human.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#280 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

looks like Kenny is going to have some work to do this summer. lots of guys out of waiver options, others could be moved on that are on long trem contracs. if Sproul and Mantha have a balls out camp will Kenny and Babs back up the joke of a statement that the best players will play?

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.