#321 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

Their change of scenery can be somewhere else

Yes, somewhere else other than New York.  I choose Detroit. :lol:

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#322 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

If they can get a guy like Moulson or Vanek, that would certainly be exciting. I just don't know how possible that is, given that those two are probably the top two UFAs and I'm not sure Detroit will be willing to pay as much as some other teams might. 

Detroit could be big players. They will look in-house for a lot of their holes, which lowers their payroll. We can afford to massively overlay for a player, at least on a short-term contract. Trouble will be: will UFA's accept a 2 or 3 year contract?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#323 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

very familiar with both and neither are worth the money listed above...not even close...give Oulette 47 games here and I bet he has more than 12 points at a fraction of the cost...plus I hope the Rangers resign both because I don't want them here

Dan Girardi isn't an offensive defenseman, so comparing him to Ouellet using their point totals is a bit misleading. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#324 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,166 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

Girardi and Moulson would put us in real cup contention. GO GET EM KENNY.

+1

I think these are the two I'm gonna pin all of my hopes and dreams on.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#325 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

+1

I think these are the two I'm gonna pin all of my hopes and dreams on.

They would be affordable, needed, and adequately used if these trades were made.

#326 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,166 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

Girardi is a shutdown defenseman who can move the puck well. He can log silly-big minutes, play in all situations, block shots like a machine, and be a solid leader. In theory, he'd complement Kronwall or Smith very nicely. At the very least, he'd give us a good top four. Ouellet projects high, and he might actually end up being a lot like Girardi. But, as always, I'm thinking about a Cup, and within the next two seasons (our core is old; our window is closing). Ouellet might not even make the team next fall, and if he does, it's very likely he'd be on the third pairing. That's a far cry from what Girardi could give us in the here and now.

Same idea with the two Callahans. Except, I'm not sold on Mitchell being anything more than an NHL fourth-line agitator who pots a goal here and there. (Yes, I know, he's scoring in Grand Rapids. But that doesn't impress me a whole lot.) Callahan could play on the first line and give us some more speed and tenacity and all-around grit, kind of like Helm, but he can play in a scoring role. My only concern with him is that he's injury prone. He's not big, so his style of play means he's not going to be highly effective for much longer, unless he becomes a great two-way player or something. Still, anyone who wants the Cup and thinks Mitchell can help the cause about as much as Ryan would is being a Wings homer. I get not wanting to spend money, but come on.

Not that we're getting Girardi or Callahan, never mind both. But if you're gonna dream, might as well dream big.

They would be affordable, needed, and adequately used if these trades were made.

For the record, I'm not sure we should trade for either of them. But we should definitely pursue them in the summer, assuming they test the waters.

Edited by Dabura, 14 January 2014 - 04:26 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#327 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

Ahh yes, acquisitions, trades, what have you, i just meant theyd be great additions :)

#328 larionov_8

larionov_8

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

When people mention Heatley as a UFA target I honestly can't tell if they're serious or sarcastic or trolling or what....

Oh god, definitely being sarcastic! He's a shell of his former self. We had just exchanged some extended dialogue about other UFA options and this comment was meant more as sarcastic exasperation in the lack of options (Heatley epitomizing that reality).

Detroit could be big players. They will look in-house for a lot of their holes, which lowers their payroll. We can afford to massively overlay for a player, at least on a short-term contract. Trouble will be: will UFA's accept a 2 or 3 year contract?

I do agree that if many of Detroit's own UFAs are allowed to walk, they will be active to bring in some depth. Though it is a rebuild, they will want to be competitive.

I recently read comments from Vanek where he spoke about money and term being the biggest concerns for him. And so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Islanders throw big money and term at him.

It's hard to imagine that some team won't offer a longer term to guys like Moulson, Callahan, Girardi, etc., if these guys go to free agency. This is why I was suggesting earlier in this thread that more depth guys (e.g. Kulemin, Setoguchi) might be worth a look as they would be more likely to consider short-term deals, and if they don't work out, you aren't stuck with them for too long.  

I watched a clip on sportsnet where they talked about Steve Ott possibly being a deadline acquisition for Detroit, among others. http://kuklaskorner....ved-if-so-where
He's a guy I could imagine Detroit acquiring (if he could be had for a pick and/or lesser prospect) and trying to keep around.

Assuming they do let Bertuzzi walk, I think they will try to get someone with some size and, ideally, who play with a bit of an edge and who are capable of adding some scoring depth.

#329 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,166 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

Would Steve Ott Be A Fit In Detroit? (Abel to Yzerman, Sportsnet)

As I've said several times before, I'd be all for bringing Ott on board, for the right price. He's not big, and he's not a goal-scorer, but he plays kinda like a pissed off power forward. He'd give our bottom six some teeth, moxy, heart. And, with our injury "luck," we really can't have too many centers (though he can play any forward position, which is cool).

Generally, I'm a bit wary of deadline deals for expiring contracts, unless your team is a stacked contender and you're looking for one solid piece to put you over. But I don't think we'd have to give up much for Ott, and I kinda get the sense that he's a guy who likes wherever he is (i.e. if he becomes a Wing, he leans toward staying a Wing), so it might be worth getting him this season.

Of course, a Steve Ott wouldn't address our most glaring issue: our top four, or lack thereof.

Unrelated: I'm worried about Nyquist. It's occurred to me that he may not be the top-six scoring winger we think he is/will be, and not just because of this slump. I'm mentioning this because I, like kipwinger and some others here, think he could make a fairly attractive trade piece. That sounds incredibly cold and heartless, but it's the Cup.

EDIT: Ah, didn't see your post, larionov_8. Sorry!

Edited by Dabura, 14 January 2014 - 09:41 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#330 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,166 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

If Holland were to cut loose all our (in)appropriate UFAs in the summer and go into next season with Ott, Moulson, and Girardi in our ranks...I think I would cry.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#331 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,166 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

Assuming they do let Bertuzzi walk, I think they will try to get someone with some size and, ideally, who play with a bit of an edge and who are capable of adding some scoring depth.

Dustin Penner will almost certainly stay in Anaheim, but he'd be great on a line with Z and D, or in a secondary role, or even as a checker. David Moss might also work.

Maybe this is the summer we add Jagr? Never been a fan of the idea, but he's doing pretty damn well for himself in NJ, and he'd bring some nice qualities (big and strong, plays RW, has been a reliable goal-scorer this season, can hold the puck very well, is hungry for that last Cup).

I guess none of those guys plays with a real "edge" like what you'd get from Ott, but I'm mostly just brainstorming out loud.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#332 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

Penner will stay in Cali.  Bank on it.  Would look good in Red though.

Moss kind of injury prone, in the same way that a lot of current roster is. 

No to Jagr. 

Don't get me wrong, Ott would be great.  However, we already have Tootoo... and he's highly underutilized 

So... why would Ott be targeted by Holland?  Would Babcock use him?

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#333 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

a lot of good things can happen if they let sammy, cleary, bert, quincey, monster go.

you can get gaborik moulson ott and garardi, while resigning tatar and dekeyser and bringing up mrazak

i think we really need a top defender or atleast a top shut down guy that can log big minutes give guys like kronwall and smith time to play offense.

then you can compliment z and dats with moulson or gabroik or both if the price is right. sure gabby is hurt a lot but id take him for the right price. 

then i think we need a grit guy like ott/ callahan type. grit power forward PKer stand up for their team.

do i see any of this actually happening? no. id be shocked if he didnt resign cleary bert and quincey

Z dats gabby

mule weiss moulson

nyquist helm tatar

abs ott andy

kronwall E

garadi smith

dekeyser kindl

#334 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,578 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:09 PM

No to Jagr. 

Don't get me wrong, Ott would be great.  However, we already have Tootoo... and he's highly underutilized 

I agree that Penner will likely stay in California.  He's playing his best hockey again with the Ducks and he seems to love the life there.  Agree also on Jagr.

As for Ott, I can't stand the guy but he and Tootoo aren't equivalent.  Ott can play the PP, PK and handle a lot more minutes than Tootoo without being a defensive liability. 

ugh.  I feel nauseous saying nice things about Ott.

#335 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:26 AM

My wish list is Steve Ott Dan gurardi mdz Wayne Simmons
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#336 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:41 AM

Lol some of u guys r crazy ! This is the NHL. Not NHL 14. And if it was NHL 14 allot of you would make some bone head decisions lol!

As for mule he is here to stay. Maybe if he can't produce on the second line try playing him with z and d where he can get open and shoot. That's up to babs and co and the planning they do
Posted Image

#337 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:14 AM

My wish list is Steve Ott Dan gurardi mdz Wayne Simmons

Girardi, Ott, Westgarth would be a great Ufa day
Buyout Mule or Weiss to create more capspace

Edited by frankgrimes, 15 January 2014 - 05:15 AM.

wche.jpg

in need of magic #13

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

#338 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,166 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:53 AM

No to Jagr. 

Not necessarily saying I think we should or would even be able to add any of the first three, mind you. Just trying to pull something out of a very thin UFA class, as opposed to saying, "Let's stick with what we've got, bring up a couple of kids." Because that's boring, and I come here to shoot down boredom.

As for Ott - as haroldsnepsts said, he's more useful than Tootoo. And he's good for about 30 points, versus Tooto's 8 (granted, Tootoo might be good for 15+ if Babs would actually use him). He'd be targeted by Holland for those reasons, and the fact that we are, arguably, a bit shallow at center, and the fact that we are incredibly soft on the whole; virtually no one on our team plays with a true edge. I think Babcock would use him for all these reasons. He's a good, reliable bottom-sixer (on a pretty good club, as opposed to a team like Buffalo, where's he's a first-line center).

Also, the NHL 14 comment is played-out, IMHO. A far-out idea isn't necessarily an in(s)ane one - and even if it is, so what? No one saw Alfredsson coming. And I remember writing up this big, long, detail-oriented piece about how we could fit Hossa in, and why it would make a lot off sense - and I got a few "This is real life, not a video game" responses. But, as we all know, it happened, and almost exactly the way I said it might. Point being, I'm Darren Dreger. Furthermore, this is Ken Holland. He did sign Weiss and Alfie; and throw down a huge offer for Suter and Parise; and try for Carle, Salo, and Edler (coming very close with Edler); and trade for Robert Lang; and put together the '02 dream team; and acquire Chelios, Clark, Ranford, and Samuelsson; and bring in Shanahan. Granted, there's pre-Cap stuff mixed in there, and no one really cares about Robert Lang, and, generally, a lot has changed since most of those past accomplishments. But we have some big holes to fill, and Holland knows it. He also knows he screwed up. And, of course, we'll have a number of contracts coming off the books. So I don't think it's wrong to hope for a couple really big adds.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#339 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

no. No. NO. NO! NO! NO! to Gaborik.  He is the most injuriously injury prone forward in the history of injuries.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#340 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

i dont think we'll see any deals before this deadline. front office will just let the ufa's on our roster run out and let them all hit free agency. maybe they ask Alfie back and an outside possability they give monster another year but the rest will be let go.This would free up $12m. I think they will go after 2 Ufa's or trades to fill 

Quincey and Bertuzzi spots. The other 3 spots will be filled from within.

Gustavsson resign or give Mrazek the back up job.

Quincey let go sign free agent or trade to upgrade.

Alfredsson resign if he wants to stay or sign replacement from fa or trade.

Bertuzzi let go sign free agent to replace.

Samuelsson let go Jurco to take spot.

Cleary let go Sheahan to take spot.

Eaves let go Glendening to take spot.

This scenario isnt my choice but its what i believe the front office will do.

This leaves Tootoo in limbo, they will try and trade him or use him in a package

but we have a few young players who are out of option's as well. Almqvist and

Ferraro the most notable. So we are going to see some movement one way or 

another.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.