• Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#121 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,062 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

Suppose Brad Richards gets bought out. Would you like him on the Wings? He's already a Holland-type player (veteran, humble, plays the game the right way, etc.) Add to that the "reclamation project" angle and I've gotta think Kenny would be very interested.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#122 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

The reason you seriously explore buying out Franzen isn't his streakiness, perceived laziness, or cap hit... it's the length of his contract and his age.  He will turn 34 in a couple weeks, and he is signed for SIX more seasons after this.  Do you honestly see him playing until age 40?  I don't.  If he does retire before the end of his contract, the Wings are subject to a cap-recapture penalty.  Depending on when he hypothetically retires, that penalty could be almost $3M per year.  This calls for an open and honest discussion between Franzen, his agent, and Wings' management.  If Franzen doesn't want to play until he's 40, they should buy him out.

The one fly in the ointment is Weiss.  If he continues to struggle all season, he's the top candidate for the last compliance buyout.

#123 Timezown

Timezown

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:21 PM

why do people want to get rid of franzen? He's a perennial 25-30 goal scorer.. BETTER THAN MOST OF THE LEAGUE.

we're not even paying him 4 million either

last year he was on pace for 25-30 goals again

this year he's on pace for 29-30

Edited by Timezown, 07 December 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#124 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

The one fly in the ointment is Weiss.  If he continues to struggle all season, he's the top candidate for the last compliance buyout.

Pretty sure based on the new rules Weiss isn't eligible for the compliance buyout.

#125 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

Pretty sure based on the new rules Weiss isn't eligible for the compliance buyout.

It’s true. I think we sorted it our in another thread. 

Weiss can be bought out but I think the Wings would be on the hook for 2.9M/year or something. 

The good news though is that the Wings cap should start going down as they bring in more rookies next year (Sheahan, Ferraro, Callahan, Almquist, whoever) and guys like DeKeyser, Tatar, Nyquist, and Smith are entering the golden years cap-wise for the Wings. They’ll be extremely productive players at very manageable RFA cap hits. Think Zetterberg in 2008. He won the Conn Smyth and Stanley Cup, making something like 2.8M. Ka-RAY_ZAY.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#126 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

I think if Franzen keeps playing like this for the rest of the season we can't buy him out. He has really done a good job meshing with the young guys and he may actually help them grow long term if this keeps going the way its going. If the cap goes up as much as predicted the recapture penalty on his early retirement won't be a huge deal considering how much youth is coming up with low cap hits.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#127 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

I think a struggling team would take him for some late round pick. Worth it just to clear up salary. There's a lot of teams that need centers like Toronto

#128 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

Red Wings will build from within until big TV deal boosts cap in 2015-16 [Krupa]

That means were stuck with franzen this tells me there will be no buyout used this summer ;(

why do people want to get rid of franzen? He's a perennial 25-30 goal scorer.. BETTER THAN MOST OF THE LEAGUE.

we're not even paying him 4 million either

last year he was on pace for 25-30 goals again

this year he's on pace for 29-30

I agree for 15 games a year he is the best player in hockey. The rest he belongs at the ahl level.

And for those who actually pay attention to cap related issues(its clear you don't), as stated earlier we will be screwed because of Hollands terrible extension he gave him. Everyone knows franzen won't last until he is forty.

#129 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

Everyone keeps on being so wrong about Franzen but continue to keep speaking about him. You'd think after you've been wrong so many times you'd keep your comments to yourself. It must be embarrassing.

Franzen is a true power forward and the only one on this team. He won't be bought out because holland isn't stupid. Him retiring early and giving the team a 3M cap penalty will be peanuts by that time with the cap going way up. Also considering having a player of Franzen's caliber would usually demand 5.5M see what Weiss was able to demand.
His Defense is very undervalued on this board. He's big, strong, one of the best shots and great play maker. If this guy was on any other team he would be some of your guys wet dream to be on this team for 3.9M a year

#130 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

Everyone keeps on being so wrong about Franzen but continue to keep speaking about him. You'd think after you've been wrong so many times you'd keep your comments to yourself. It must be embarrassing.
Franzen is a true power forward and the only one on this team. He won't be bought out because holland isn't stupid. Him retiring early and giving the team a 3M cap penalty will be peanuts by that time with the cap going way up. Also considering having a player of Franzen's caliber would usually demand 5.5M see what Weiss was able to demand. His Defense is very undervalued on this board. He's big, strong, one of the best shots and great play maker. If this guy was on any other team he would be some of your guys wet dream to be on this team for 3.9M a year

He is big but strong? Come on I could poke him with my finger and he would fall over then his response would would be to whine and cry. He is the definition of a ***** not a power forward. He is fine of those people that everyone knows....he runs his dick sucker telling you what he is going to do but never has the balls to do it. He is a ***** don't ever label him as a power forward again its a disgrace to the REALnpower forwards of this league.

He is terrible in way more than HALF of the games he plays. That's why he should be bought out. Even though Weiss isn't scoring points he still brings more than what franzen does. Z and DAT when they're not scoring? They provide leadership and defense.

Edited by DeGraa55, 07 December 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#131 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

He is big but strong? Come on I could poke him with my finger and he would fall over then his response would would be to whine and cry. He is the definition of a ***** not a power forward. He is fine of those people that everyone knows....he runs his **** sucker telling you what he is going to do but never has the balls to do it. He is a ***** don't ever label him as a power forward again its a disgrace to the REALnpower forwards of this league.

He is terrible in way more than HALF of the games he plays. That's why he should be bought out. Even though Weiss isn't scoring points he still brings more than what franzen does. Z and DAT when they're not scoring? They provide leadership and defense.

If he keeps playing like this he won't be bought out. Currently he is dominating in all areas of the ice. If he returns to his floating form at some point during the season then yes, he should be bought out. Time will tell if this is streakiness or he has turned himself into what we thought he was.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#132 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

He won't get bought out mark my words

#133 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

If he keeps playing like this he won't be bought out. Currently he is dominating in all areas of the ice. If he returns to his floating form at some point during the season then yes, he should be bought out. Time will tell if this is streakiness or he has turned himself into what we thought he was.

He was floating last night while Nyquist and Tatar did all the work. But he floated in the right spot to bury agoal

#134 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

It’s true. I think we sorted it our in another thread. 

Weiss can be bought out but I think the Wings would be on the hook for 2.9M/year or something. 

The good news though is that the Wings cap should start going down as they bring in more rookies next year (Sheahan, Ferraro, Callahan, Almquist, whoever) and guys like DeKeyser, Tatar, Nyquist, and Smith are entering the golden years cap-wise for the Wings. They’ll be extremely productive players at very manageable RFA cap hits. Think Zetterberg in 2008. He won the Conn Smyth and Stanley Cup, making something like 2.8M. Ka-RAY_ZAY.

Interesting... thanks, guys.

#135 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

He is big but strong? Come on I could poke him with my finger and he would fall over then his response would would be to whine and cry. He is the definition of a ***** not a power forward. He is fine of those people that everyone knows....he runs his **** sucker telling you what he is going to do but never has the balls to do it. He is a ***** don't ever label him as a power forward again its a disgrace to the REALnpower forwards of this league.

Jesus you're delusional. Did Franzen f*** your mom or something? Without Franzen we are way too small in the top 6. Nobody on this team can play the way Franzen does. He is crucial to our success if you haven't noticed. The problem in our top 6 is guys like Bertuzzi, Cleary and Weiss (when they get put there) and not Franzen
If Franzen played on any other team we would be dieing to get him to Detroit.

He was floating last night while Nyquist and Tatar did all the work. But he floated in the right spot to bury agoal

You don't know anything about hockey then cause Franzen was our best forward. Sometimes the stat sheet doesn't show how good a player played

#136 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:26 PM

Jesus you're delusional. Did Franzen f*** your mom or something? Without Franzen we are way too small in the top 6. Nobody on this team can play the way Franzen does. He is crucial to our success if you haven't noticed. The problem in our top 6 is guys like Bertuzzi, Cleary and Weiss (when they get put there) and not Franzen
If Franzen played on any other team we would be dieing to get him to Detroit.

You don't know anything about hockey then cause Franzen was our best forward. Sometimes the stat sheet doesn't show how good a player played

5 10 Tatar is more of a power forward then franzen. And is MUCH tougher to knock off the puck. Granzen is the weakest guy over Six feet I've seen in my entire life.

He won't get bought out mark my words

I agree just because Holland has done.nothing but make poor decisions in these last two years....SK add another by not buying franzen out.

#137 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

Franzen is a true power forward and the only one on this team. He won't be bought out because holland isn't stupid. Him retiring early and giving the team a 3M cap penalty will be peanuts by that time with the cap going way up. Also considering having a player of Franzen's caliber would usually demand 5.5M see what Weiss was able to demand.
His Defense is very undervalued on this board. He's big, strong, one of the best shots and great play maker. If this guy was on any other team he would be some of your guys wet dream to be on this team for 3.9M a year

Franzen is playing pretty well right now, he's been very productive since his return to the lineup.  How long will this continue, though?  We all know he has his ups and downs... but at what point do the ups disappear and it's all downs?  Does he have 6 years left in him, even semi-productive?  Will he hang up the blades before the end of his contract?  You make a good point that the cap is supposed to skyrocket in the next couple years, so a $2-3M penalty won't be as significant... but still, is it worth possibly missing out on a free agent or trade opportunity, or worse, having to let a player go because of a penalty?

I honestly don't expect Holland to buy out Franzen this summer.  However, I do expect him to have a conversation with Franzen and figure out what his future holds.  If Franzen says he won't last 6 more years, then the buyout needs to be at the very least considered, if not done.

And no, Franzen is not a true power forward.

#138 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

Where is the logic in getting rid of your perennial goal scoring leader for nothing. How are we going to replace 25-30 goals a year when we are already in the bottom half of goal scoring

#139 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

Read my earlier post.  It's not about what Franzen is doing RIGHT NOW or what he might do NEXT YEAR.  It's about THE NEXT SIX YEARS.

#140 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

Franzen, as he has never been able to do, will not carry his recent play throughout this whole season. Anyone who thinks he will is eating too much cornbread. He's going to be 34 in a few weeks and still under contract for six more years. Down the road, when he starts to show age, do you really want him taking a spot from Jarnkrok or possibly Mantha?