• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#61 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,247 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

Keep discussion relevant to the concussion lawsuit in the NHL or this thread will be closed.

#62 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

@reporterchris: Rick Vaive wants to be removed from the class-action concussion lawsuit against the NHL. Says he misunderstood the nature of the proceeding.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Not sure if this is out there or not but Rick Vaive has pulled out of the lawsuit vs the NHL.

Edited by BottleOfSmoke, 28 November 2013 - 06:29 PM.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#63 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

Seems the law has been brought into it ... what'ya know.

#64 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

I'm starting to get the impression that this lawsuit is going to go nowhere...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#65 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:23 AM

I'm starting to get the impression that this lawsuit is going to go nowhere...

Based on...? One guy dropped out and 200 have joined. The only way the league gets out of paying is if it defeats the claim at trial. The only other possibilities are settlement or a victory for the plaintiffs. There is no way this suit gets dismissed.

#66 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

Based on nothing substantial.  Just some things I've been hearing and a general feeling.

I think it is telling that Gary Leeman is the only player involved so far who has played more than a handful of games in the NHL.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#67 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

Does the NFL suit being blocked by a judge change this case or do you think this one will continue to roll on?

http://tv.yahoo.com/...346675-cbs.html

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#68 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,247 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

Does the NFL suit being blocked by a judge change this case or do you think this one will continue to roll on?

http://tv.yahoo.com/...346675-cbs.html

I think it will continue to roll on but seems like it could be easier to settle.  This may be naivete or ignorance on my part but I don't think the NHL is in as bad of a position regarding concussions as the NFL.

The NFL has a long history or trying to suppress, deny, and mislead regarding what they knew about concussions.  I'm sure it's been on the NHL's radar longer than I realize, but I don't think they have as damning of a track record.  The NFL absolutely does not want this to go to court where all of that info will be revealed.

#69 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

The NFL's was stopped by a judge because they thought it wasnt enough money, that some of the players wouldn't get the money to cover their medical bills.

NHL will have to pay.
The question is just how much.

#70 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

Right but do the Players push forward or wait to see how much more the NFLPA can get?

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#71 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

The lawsuit the NFL is involved in is much stronger than the NHL one. They're related but not as much as many think.  Many different factors in each case.

Vince Lombardi

#72 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

@EricOnSportsLaw: Breaking news: NHL hit with second concussion lawsuit - https://t.co/eNfOFYa8FV

Edit: @Real_ESPNLeBrun: Not saying the lawsuit doesn't have merit, but having Gordie Howe as deceased in your lawsuit and misspelling Sidney Crosby's name bad start

@KatieStrangESPN: In just a cursory glance, also found MTL Canadiens spelled wrong and reference to Friday the 13th hockey mask as suggestive link to violence

Edited by BottleOfSmoke, 10 April 2014 - 02:20 PM.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#73 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

A second lawsuit has been filed; from Toronto Sun:

A group of nine former players may need a fact checker.

The group served the NHL with a class-action lawsuit Thursday accusing the league of exploiting its players and not doing enough to minimize head trauma that results in long-term health problems.

However, under a list of high-profile incidents to players who suffered head trauma and concussions over the years, the suit claims NHL legend Gordie Howe passed away five years ago.

"In 2009, Howe died from the neurogenerative disease known as 'Pick's disease.'"

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#74 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

As someone said on TSN's website, they should go after the AHL and other minor league hockey establishments as that is where most of these players played.

#75 loutswings

loutswings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:44 AM

Never liked these types of lawsuits. I just think these guys still have a choice to back off and say to themselves is this worth my health?

#76 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

These are nothing more than money grabs and jokes.  You choose to play a sport where you knowingly put your health at risk.  It's a hell of a lot less dangerous than a lot of other professions, and they get paid millions of dollars to do it.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#77 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

Gordie Howe dead? They really seem to have hit their heads too many times. And still there are folks who don't take concussions seriously.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#78 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

@walsha: Hearing at least 6 more lawsuits to be filed soon RT@HalfordPHT: NHL hit with 3rd concussion lawsuit http://t.co/4VbSN0H0Tk

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#79 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:16 AM

@walsha: Hearing at least 6 more lawsuits to be filed soon RT@HalfordPHT: NHL hit with 3rd concussion lawsuit http://t.co/4VbSN0H0Tk

This is tiger woods all over again. No one says squat till that first person comes out

#80 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:41 AM

In this case, it may be because others aren't aware that the various symptoms they have been having could have been caused by the long term effects of concussions.