• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

CBC partners with Rogers in landmark NHL rights deal.

Rate this topic

This friggin sucks, Sportsnet analysts are awful and the commentators are all raging homers. TSN has some of the best in the industry (McKenzie Dreger Ferraro Cuthbert Miller and more), it's a real shame.

Guest mjtm77

Does any one know how this will affect center ice? Will I still be able to watch all the wings games???? with the fsn Detroit feed

Does any one know how this will affect center ice? Will I still be able to watch all the wings games???? with the fsn Detroit feed

I'm not sure why it would affect American broadcasting like FSN. As far as Center Ice is concerned, you will see more Sportsnet broadcasts for games in Canada as opposed to TSN and CBC.

Watching the Van-Ott game on Sportsnet right now and it's just awful compared to TSN and CBC. Normally I look forward to the discussion between periods, but with Sportsnet it's just cringe-worthy.

The difference is just unbelievable. I would honestly put Sportsnet on par wiith non-hockey markets in the US.

I'm not sure why it would affect American broadcasting like FSN. As far as Center Ice is concerned, you will see more Sportsnet broadcasts for games in Canada as opposed to TSN and CBC.

Watching the Van-Ott game on Sportsnet right now and it's just awful compared to TSN and CBC. Normally I look forward to the discussion between periods, but with Sportsnet it's just cringe-worthy.

The difference is just unbelievable. I would honestly put Sportsnet on par wiith non-hockey markets in the US.

In 5 years this will be the complete opposite. Once they get proper analysts this will all change.

Like I said earlier, TSN had 15 year advantage on NHL then Sportsnet.

Edited by darkmanx

In 5 years this will be the complete opposite. Once they get proper analysts this will all change.

Like I said earlier, TSN had 15 year advantage on NHL then Sportsnet.

For sure, I definitely agree it will improve over their current standard. As long as the price is right...They do essentially have a monopoly now in Canada and this is Rogers we're talking about.

Regardless I'm sure they take some ideas from TSN, CBC, and NBC and probably snag a couple staff in the process.

For sure, I definitely agree it will improve over their current standard. As long as the price is right...They do essentially have a monopoly now in Canada and this is Rogers we're talking about.

Regardless I'm sure they take some ideas from TSN, CBC, and NBC and probably snag a couple staff in the process.

Think about it:

Don Cherry, Dreger, Lebrun, MacKenzie, Ward (I thought he was doing a fantastic job), Duthie, R. Maclean - all these guys are institutions not just in Canada worldiwde. Rogers has nothing even close to their professionalism, personality and knowledge..read somewhere the two sides were around 200k apart thats absolutely nothing and TSN didn't even get the change to match that deal, so horrible.

Personally I am not interested in stats and all that stuff but having a good pre intermission and postgame show with guys, that know what they are talking about gives hockey another nice dimension.

More "Face Time" for Tim & Sid ?

24044_brando_the_horror.jpg

From The Score:

Don Cherry will wait until this weekend's "Hockey Night in Canada" to weigh in on the future of the flagship hockey broadcast.

CBC says that during his "Coach's Corner" segment Cherry will address this week's announcement that Rogers Communications has gained national broadcast and multimedia rights to all NHL games starting next hockey season.

The high-profile hockey commentator is also expected to discuss his possible role in the new "Hockey Night in Canada."

Edited by cusimano_brothers

I dont understand why everyone really cares, I mean it looks like between city and CBC there are going to be more or the same amount of over the air games atleast for the next 4 years. And with all the extra content sportsnet is going to need hire more on air talent, probably going to scoop up a lot of the people who are layed of from CBC/tsn. Don Cherry has been doing grapeline with sportsnet the fan 590 for 30 years, I sure they'd sign him if he was interested.

There is also been some speculation from guys like john shannon that since rogers now has control of gamecentre, you could see them offer specific team packages.

I dont understand why everyone really cares, I mean it looks like between city and CBC there are going to be more or the same amount of over the air games atleast for the next 4 years. And with all the extra content sportsnet is going to need hire more on air talent, probably going to scoop up a lot of the people who are layed of from CBC/tsn. Don Cherry has been doing grapeline with sportsnet the fan 590 for 30 years, I sure they'd sign him if he was interested.

There is also been some speculation from guys like john shannon that since rogers now has control of gamecentre, you could see them offer specific team packages

People don't exactly have a lot of faith in Rogers' creative control especially with a monopoly. They've gotten a well-earned bad reputation in Canada.

People don't exactly have a lot of faith in Rogers' creative control especially with a monopoly. They've gotten a well-earned bad reputation in Canada.

they've never been a national broadcaster before, those are only regional productions. Its like apples and oranges

A mighty insightful read regarding the doing of the deal, found in today's Toronto Star:

It was an internal go. They co-ordinated a meeting for Nov. 20 at NHL headquarters on Avenue of the Americas in New York. The core team consisted of Mohammed, Staffieri, Pelley, Scott, Michael Webber (senior legal counsel), Scott MacMillan (a.k.a. Hollywood, VP of strategy) and Andrew Myers, 28 (a.k.a. whiz kid, a senior analyst).

Only five went to the NHL offices. Hollywood (so-named, according to Moore, because “he’s a sharp dresser, good-looking”) didn’t go in and Myers, the number-cruncher, spent the better part of the day cooling his heels at a McDonald’s. Explained Moore: “We didn’t want the league to think we could (work out) a model for anything higher than our original bid.

“Trust me, Gary got everything and more than we were prepared to offer.”

From The Score:

Clear your schedule sports fans, there's about to be a lot more hockey on television.

A whopping 500 regular season games will air in Canada starting next season as part of the blockbuster 12-year agreement between Rogers Communications (TSX:RCI.B) and the National Hockey League.

With all those broadcasts, they're bound to get a few of them right.

Their on air personal let's put it simply sucks compared to the TSN ones and most of them have re-signed anyways :)

The studio and presentation standard isn't even in the same universe as TSN, so I really hope this deal will backfire so hard that the owner are finally going to can that midget and are looking at longterm goals in their next TV deal.

They would have to pull off a miracle in order to make this work.

To make the broadcasts work, they will use the same plan they used to get the deal in the first place: throw money.

Money can do a lot of things but it can't buy the best personal in that case because well they are working for TSN :-)

Only Don Cherry and Ron MacLean are going to help their knowledgebase other than that, their stuff is FAR from impressive.

From CBC:

Rogers Communications has announced George Stroumboulopoulos will become the new host of Hockey Night in Canada next season when the company takes control of Canada's NHL broadcasting rights next season.

Stroumboulopoulos will join Hockey Night's Ron MacLean and Don Cherry, along with Sportsnet's Daren Millard and Jeff Marek as the "cornerstones" of the new hockey coverage, Rogers said in a release.

Lights. Camera. Action?

His one interview with Uncle Gary is legendary.