• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

CBC partners with Rogers in landmark NHL rights deal.

Rate this topic

Too bad. I have always chosen TSN broadcasts over their American equivalents wherever possible, and it has always been my chief source for NHL news and highlights. And now that's all gone. Yikes.

What I can't fathom is why TSN was unwilling to match; it's a sports-only network, and hockey is Canada's most-watched sport by a huge margin. its loss of all NHL programming is going to hurt REALLY bad. CBC is perhaps in even deeper doo-doo. Hockey was their biggest cash cow. Where's all that money going to come from now?

All told, this was a pretty awful day for Canadian TV.

HNIC is staying on CBC, they will be fine.

This was sad...

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Pains me to report this, but NHL closing in on landmark CDN TV deal with two CDN networks. Many years (10+), many billions. #overandout

@adater: I think it says it all that the big scoop about TSN losing its NHL rights to a rival was broken by @TSNBobMcKenzie

Edited by BottleOfSmoke

Don't know what to think other than the fact that I don't usually like monopolies.

Sportsnet has Nick Kypreous, Doug Maclean ... enough said. They better start poaching TSN guys to go over.

Livestream for the win ... don't support Rogers empire ... oh I forgot, 1/2 the people in Canada get their internet through Rogers :eh:

Edited by RedWingsRox

Don't know what to think other than the fact that I don't usually like monopolies.

Sportsnet has Nick Kypreous, Doug Maclean ... enough said. They better start poaching TSN guys to go over.

Livestream for the win ... don't support Rogers empire ... oh I forgot, 1/2 the people in Canada get their internet through Rogers :eh:

I hate Rogers, but to be fair, TSN had 15 years head start on getting panelist. I bet half those TSN guys are lining up right now for a job.

Yes and No. HNIC will still be on CBC but they no longer get any of the revenue from ad sales during the broadcast.

The only positive for them is that they can promote their other shows during the broadcasts in the hopes of improving their ratings on non-hockey broadcasts.

This really isn't a good deal for CBC.

Guest Crymson

The money they've been making from it will be vastly reduced.

It's unbelievable how one company can have so much influence, how about the anti monopol lawys? For hockeyfans this sucks, but I am also not surprised the NHL doesn't care about quality heck they would have given the rights to Brazil is they've paid the most, just the way this **** midget operates.

Nothing Rogers has, will ever come close to the quality of TSN.

So you're saying that Gary Bettman actually wants to make money for his company? Isn't that his job?

Yes and No. HNIC will still be on CBC but they no longer get any of the revenue from ad sales during the broadcast.

The only positive for them is that they can promote their other shows during the broadcasts in the hopes of improving their ratings on non-hockey broadcasts.

This really isn't a good deal for CBC.

For there sakes they should be happy they got anything, they will make a ton of money still from the games and playoffs. Rogers could have moped the floor up and not included them into anything.

For there sakes they should be happy they got anything, they will make a ton of money still from the games and playoffs. Rogers could have moped the floor up and not included them into anything.

That's the thing...CBC will make nothing off of Hockey any more. 100% of all the Ad revenue generated goes to Rogers. CBC is actually paying more than they are now just to be able to air games, and that's only for 4 years of the 12 year deal. The only positive for them is that it keeps people tuning into the network so they can promote shows that they do own.

Rogers also has complete creative control over CBC's HNIC broacasts. They could fire Ron Maclean and Don Cherry tomorrow and replace them with Joe Bowen and Nick Kypreos if they wanted.

That's the thing...CBC will make nothing off of Hockey any more. 100% of all the Ad revenue generated goes to Rogers. CBC is actually paying more than they are now just to be able to air games, and that's only for 4 years of the 12 year deal. The only positive for them is that it keeps people tuning into the network so they can promote shows that they do own.

Rogers also has complete creative control over CBC's HNIC broacasts. They could fire Ron Maclean and Don Cherry tomorrow and replace them with Joe Bowen and Nick Kypreos if they wanted.

Rogers has already said they are keeping HNIC the exact same. That may change in a year or two (obviously not pertaining to Cherry and Maclean as they are going nowhere).

TSN clearly has the best analysts, panelists, insiders etc..no question about that. There is no doubt in my mind and anyone else's that a bunch of these guys will be jumping ship. What this means is more hockey for Canadian viewers. TSN has 2 channels, TSN and TSN2 with some local broadcasting sprinkled in...Rogers has Sportsnet, Sportsnet1, Sportsnet 360 which they just bought from the score as well as regional broadcasts and they have vowed there will be no more blackouts which isn't a big deal for myself but for other people it is. The CBC is in trouble for sure....the station bleeds money and HNIC is the only thing keeping them semi alive. If you live in Canada and you can name one good show on CBC besides HNIC you're a better man than I lol. I don't care who broadcasts hockey, I just hope they do it right. It's gamecenter for me for Wing's games anyways.

Rogers has already said they are keeping HNIC the exact same. That may change in a year or two (obviously not pertaining to Cherry and Maclean as they are going nowhere).

Maybe they will maybe they wont. The point is they can do whatever they want with HNIC, and CBC has no say whatsoever.

According to Wiki the NFL gets about $4.9B/yr and MLB ~$1.7B/yr.

This deal looks good but after wondering and finding out what the big sports get per year, this is funny. Those are US contracts but looking up the US contract for the NHL, it's only $200M per season. LOL

LOFREAKINGL NHL!

Edited by dragonballgtz

TSN clearly has the best analysts, panelists, insiders etc..no question about that. There is no doubt in my mind and anyone else's that a bunch of these guys will be jumping ship. What this means is more hockey for Canadian viewers. TSN has 2 channels, TSN and TSN2 with some local broadcasting sprinkled in...Rogers has Sportsnet, Sportsnet1, Sportsnet 360 which they just bought from the score as well as regional broadcasts and they have vowed there will be no more blackouts which isn't a big deal for myself but for other people it is. The CBC is in trouble for sure....the station bleeds money and HNIC is the only thing keeping them semi alive. If you live in Canada and you can name one good show on CBC besides HNIC you're a better man than I lol. I don't care who broadcasts hockey, I just hope they do it right. It's gamecenter for me for Wing's games anyways.

This. Sure if it's on one of those 8 channels they are going to use then I will watch the Wings game on there, otherwise I will still continue to use hockeystreams.com for my games.

The money they've been making from it will be vastly reduced.

So you're saying that Gary Bettman actually wants to make money for his company? Isn't that his job?

If someone would ask me, what his job is I'd rather not answer, being responsible for 3 lockouts, the absolute opposite of what hockey stands for and not giving Canada it's teams back...should get every commissioner fired. This deal is just another shortterm solution, I read somewhere that around 40 % of Canadians are able to get CBC but 100 % are getting TSN - huge difference given how hockeycrazy this country is.

Giving an evil company lead by an evil man such a monopoly over hockey, is never a good thing. Rogers can now basicallyc harge whatever they want, because they own the whole package. SN just sucks, even if they improve it I highly doubt, it will be anywhere close to the expected professionalism from TSN and that to me is a mistake.

Another funny note, the BOG meeting will be held soon and yet Rogers THEMSELVES is allowed to have a vote in there (because they also own the Leafs)...sometimes I'm wondering why countries are having anti monopoly lawys.

Guest DeGraa55

If someone would ask me, what his job is I'd rather not answer, being responsible for 3 lockouts, the absolute opposite of what hockey stands for and not giving Canada it's teams back...should get every commissioner fired. This deal is just another shortterm solution, I read somewhere that around 40 % of Canadians are able to get CBC but 100 % are getting TSN - huge difference given how hockeycrazy this country is.

Giving an evil company lead by an evil man such a monopoly over hockey, is never a good thing. Rogers can now basicallyc harge whatever they want, because they own the whole package. SN just sucks, even if they improve it I highly doubt, it will be anywhere close to the expected professionalism from TSN and that to me is a mistake.

Another funny note, the BOG meeting will be held soon and yet Rogers THEMSELVES is allowed to have a vote in there (because they also own the Leafs)...sometimes I'm wondering why countries are having anti monopoly lawys.

But he is typically more of a figure head than anything.

A lockout is between the owners AND the players. But bettman and fehr get the bad rep cause they represent them.

Bettsman job is to make the owners money and he has done a good job of it. That's why the OWNERS keep him around and pay him so much.

Now whether you agree with everything that's done or not is up to you. I know I certainly don't. But you need to direct your frustrations at the right people.

And I for one font care who has the contracts in Canada as I don't live there. But if he took the deal that was worth the most money he did is job the way he is suppose to. Its not his fault some network wants to slack off and not offer up the $$$.

But he is typically more of a figure head than anything.

A lockout is between the owners AND the players. But bettman and fehr get the bad rep cause they represent them.

Bettsman job is to make the owners money and he has done a good job of it. That's why the OWNERS keep him around and pay him so much.

Now whether you agree with everything that's done or not is up to you. I know I certainly don't. But you need to direct your frustrations at the right people.

And I for one font care who has the contracts in Canada as I don't live there. But if he took the deal that was worth the most money he did is job the way he is suppose to. Its not his fault some network wants to slack off and not offer up the $$$.

Sadly, he is more than that he is annoying, comes off like a regime-boss and really doesn't do anything for the game/fans nor the integrity. It's also well known, that not all owners are happy with him.

Think about the contract long not shortterm:

60 % less Canadiens are going to be able to watch NHL hockey now, even if 15 - 28 % of them would a Rogers package, that's still a lot less viewers than other the former umbrella. Other NHL sponsors like Reebok, Nike, McD will *not* renew at the same condictions if the ratings are down and their biggest market = Canada is losing interest because of such a deal. This then could also mean, that they are losing more overall than what the NHL has "gained" with this new monopolistic contract.

It's the same thing with people buying houses in areas, which are NOW expensive but completely forgetting how some (lesser known) areas are going to explode in the future because of landscape and all that stuff.

Leaving TSN completely out of this, will backfire mark my words :)

I blame Jay and Dan for leaving TSN... seems to be the go to point for most Canadiens when it comes to decreased ratings.

A decision like this could cripple TSN as a viable network. What is their fallback? KHL coverage, more Junior coverage? More fricken Curling?

They still have the World Championships and Juniors (and Olympics of course being part of Bell) but their coverage and investment in Hockey panel shows becomes much less appealing without and hockey to compliment it.

I blame Jay and Dan for leaving TSN... seems to be the go to point for most Canadiens when it comes to decreased ratings.

A decision like this could cripple TSN as a viable network. What is their fallback? KHL coverage, more Junior coverage? More fricken Curling?

They still have the World Championships and Juniors (and Olympics of course being part of Bell) but their coverage and investment in Hockey panel shows becomes much less appealing without and hockey to compliment it.

A lot of people didn't like Jay and Dan. I didn't mind them, but a lot of there stuff was not really funny. I prefer Tim and Sid over them, I just wish they did highlight reels as well as a 3 hour sports show.

I don't care who broadcasts hockey, I just hope they do it right. It's gamecenter for me for Wing's games anyways.

Hear, hear!

Though I'm not Canadian, so I guess I can't really talk. (TSN...CBC...none of this really means anything to me.)

Edited by Dabura

Guest DeGraa55

Sadly, he is more than that he is annoying, comes off like a regime-boss and really doesn't do anything for the game/fans nor the integrity. It's also well known, that not all owners are happy with him.

Think about the contract long not shortterm:

60 % less Canadiens are going to be able to watch NHL hockey now, even if 15 - 28 % of them would a Rogers package, that's still a lot less viewers than other the former umbrella. Other NHL sponsors like Reebok, Nike, McD will *not* renew at the same condictions if the ratings are down and their biggest market = Canada is losing interest because of such a deal. This then could also mean, that they are losing more overall than what the NHL has "gained" with this new monopolistic contract.

It's the same thing with people buying houses in areas, which are NOW expensive but completely forgetting how some (lesser known) areas are going to explode in the future because of landscape and all that stuff.

Leaving TSN completely out of this, will backfire mark my words :)

How do 60% less get to see it now? Idk how cable works in Canada.

Here in America you either get cable or satellite or whatever and you can have a basic package with like 20 stations(none are premium sports stations but do include the local stuff like fox and NBC and CBS) or you get like extended cable and you get everything(not including the premium stuff like HBO, star, NHL package etc etc). It does include the NBC sports network and you get to see your local teams on fox sports Detroit(or whatever location you're from). Or you just choose to not get cable in which you can only watch the games on NBC on sunday if they still have them(i honestly haven't even looked).

Edited by DeGraa55