• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

CBC partners with Rogers in landmark NHL rights deal.

Rate this topic

From CBC:

Saturday night will remain Hockey Night in Canada on CBC.

The NHL confirmed Tuesday that the CBC has secured English-language rights to games in a sub-licensing agreement with Rogers Communications.

The 12-year, $5.232 billion deal through 2025-26 between the NHL and Rogers is the largest media rights agreement in league history and subject to approval by the league's board of governors at a meeting in in Pebble Beach, Calif., on Dec. 9-10.

I can't think of a reason why this won't be approved. It's a shame NBC doesn't follow the lead of the CBC and make the same kind of commitment to broadcast more games on their free main television network.

From CBC:

I can't think of a reason why this won't be approved. It's a shame NBC doesn't follow the lead of the CBC and make the same kind of commitment to broadcast more games on their free main television network.

I wish, and if Americans watched hockey like Canadians they would.

From CBC:

That's $436 million a year, time for another lockout

From what I have read and saw on a rogers owned station this morning, CBC will still have HINC and playoffs until the finals. TSN will have 0 games. This does stink. I cant stand half of the SportsNet analysts.

They also retain the rights to Web, radio as well as TV.

I want to know what will happen to the team affiliated channels owned by bell like Winnipeg and Montreal. I am sure there is more but I can't think of them.

From what I have read and saw on a rogers owned station this morning, CBC will still have HINC and playoffs until the finals. TSN will have 0 games. This does stink. I cant stand half of the SportsNet analysts.

They also retain the rights to Web, radio as well as TV.

I want to know what will happen to the team affiliated channels owned by bell like Winnipeg and Montreal. I am sure there is more but I can't think of them.

Bell owns rogers.

To be clear: TSN is completely wiped off the NHL map when it comes to broadcasting games as of next season. Zero, zilch.

CBC says will be job losses as a result of NHL deal with Rogers. CBC, which retains Sat HNIC games says "Not outcome we'd hoped for".

Guest mjtm77

So does any one know how this affects hockey on tsn in general? I thought tsn just signed a new deal??

From CBC:

The last I heard, NBC don't actually pay a penny for their NHL rights. It may have changed, but it certainly used to be the case.

The last I heard, NBC don't actually pay a penny for their NHL rights. It may have changed, but it certainly used to be the case.

That hasn't been the case for a while, the contract that is in place right now started in 2011 and is a 10-year deal for $2 billion dollars that has NBC paying the NHL about $200 million a year. The deal before that had NBC paying the NHL roughly $17 million a year, though I'm not sure when that one started. The deal you are thinking of was back from 2004 and lasted 2-4 years, I can't find specifics though.

What the new Rogers-NHL deal means for the CBC

http://o.canada.com/business/what-the-new-rogers-nhl-deal-means-for-the-cbc/

The CBC is in trouble. It is losing all of its hockey revenue – but keeping about 320 hours a year of hockey, including Hockey Night in Canada – under the NHL’s new Canadian broadcast rights deal.

Rogers is making big moves to control ever more Canadian media and the announcement on Tuesday that they’re essentially taking over hockey rights across Canada is an enormous move.

Losing hockey is a big deal for the CBC. They’ll keep Hockey Night in Canada for four years on a sub-contract from Rogers, but they don’t own the content anymore. They will not even get the advertising revenue from the broadcasts, according to a statement from management to CBC staff.

CBCNews.ca is reporting the CBC will not pay for the broadcast rights, but will neither sell the ads on the games nor keep the revenue.

Edited by Wings10

Guest mjtm77

In other words we are loosing hockey night in Canada eventually and tsn? And have to watch on Rodgers sports net?

It's unbelievable how one company can have so much influence, how about the anti monopol lawys? For hockeyfans this sucks, but I am also not surprised the NHL doesn't care about quality heck they would have given the rights to Brazil is they've paid the most, just the way this **** midget operates.

Nothing Rogers has, will ever come close to the quality of TSN.

Bell owns Rogers ? Financially not even close, maybe in terms of service yes.

What I don't understand is that Bell and Rogers both own part of the Leafs, yet Bell owns TSN and is just willing to let the rights go to broadcasting on the station ?

Just read:

Rogers owns the Leafs

Bell owns part + Canadiens arena

How can Bell accept this crap? It's beyond me they own TSN and let that happen? seriously :(

Guest Crymson

Too bad. I have always chosen TSN broadcasts over their American equivalents wherever possible, and it has always been my chief source for NHL news and highlights. And now that's all gone. Yikes.

What I can't fathom is why TSN was unwilling to match; it's a sports-only network, and hockey is Canada's most-watched sport by a huge margin. its loss of all NHL programming is going to hurt REALLY bad. CBC is perhaps in even deeper doo-doo. Hockey was their biggest cash cow. Where's all that money going to come from now?

All told, this was a pretty awful day for Canadian TV.

Edited by Crymson

Ah ton of people will just stop watching the NHL so I hope the BOG is finally coming to their senses and doesn't accept such a piss poor company like Rogers. Only fitting a lockout hat-trick and now a contract with a company that is known for horrible customer service.

Not only a bad day for Hockey Canada a bad day for hockey worldwide.

I prefer TSN as well but this isn't really anything new. TSN lost the rights to broadcast hockey as recently as 1998 to 2002 and during that period they still covered the game extensively.

They just won't have the games themselves, they'll still lead off every Sportscenter with Hockey, they'll still cover the Draft, trade deadline, and Free Agent Frenzy, and they'll still have their hockey programs like Hockey Central.

As hockey fans we should be happy, the game is going from a network that aired it on only 2 channels to a network that is going to air it on 5 or 6, they are also getting rid of local blackouts so while we may not be getting the games covered by the analysts and play by play men we want, we're still getting more games, and the revenue for the league is going through the roof because of this deal.

Looks like the HNIC theme song has been played for the last time for a while though, unless TSN sells its rights to Rogers.